girl with the helmet.

smile

Everybody keeps asking..who is that girl in centerfield with the helmet that plays for giles county? Well, my name is Kristen Phillips and I am a senior at Giles County. I have been playing softball since I was old enough to walk and I have been playing travel ball since I was 9-10. I had a great high school career with softball since I was a freshman, starting in the outfield almost every game. In November 2004, I was on my way to school one morning and I had a really bad headache and started to have double vision, I called my mom and after going to the local emergency room, I was sent to Vanderbilt. After 3 long weeks at the hospital with my parents antsy to find out what was wrong with me, we finally got an answer. I had 3 blood clots in the back part of my brain and the neurologists and the hemotoligists told me that I would have to be put on blood thinner for 6 months. Of course, the first question I asked was, "do I get to play softball??". When the doctors told me no, I was absolutely DEVESTATED. Softball had been my life since I was a little girl. For a day or two, all I could do is cry. I wanted to play so bad. But, after I realized that things could have been soo much worse. I calmed down alot, and tried to figure out another way to still be involved with the team. My high school coaches, Donna Cobb and Shannon Fowler, were more than kind to me when all of this happened. They told me I could be the "student assistant coach". So I sat out my junior year but still attended every game and did everything I could to help out. After the 6 months came and went, I reported back to the hospital for my check up MRI. Well, I got some good news and some bad news, the doctors said that everything did look better, but the clots were still there. So they said another 6 months of blood thinner. Again, I was tore all to pieces, but I was determined to get better and be able to play my senior year. So after those six months rolled around, I went back to the doctor for another MRI. Again, I got good and bad news. It hadn't gotten worse but it was the same as it was 6 months before. So after a long talk with my neurologist about how important softball was to me, he considered letting me play with a helmet. He said he would have to consult with the board of neurology to final the decision. But 2 days later, they called and said that I could play as long as I wore a helmet. I was more than exstatic to get this news. My senior year and I was getting to play. I have worked very hard and am hopefully going to get some offers to play in college. As of right now I am a starter in center field and 1st on my team with a batting average of .397 and am looking to increase that as the season progresses. I just wanted to thank everybody that has been behind me supporting me throughout all of this. My teamates, my parents, my coaches, and my friends I want to say thank you. It has been a real life changing experience and I really appreciate everybodys support and prayers. THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!! XOXO!!!

Edited by smile

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a great post, I coach high school softball and had a stroke and clot also. I now have to coach from the 1st base side because of loss of vision in my right eye. I know the pain and feeling all to well you speak of. You are a very blessed young lady to be able to do what you love, as am I. Good luck the rest of the season and after your softball career is over continue to tell your story, there are so many who are healthy and when they are seniors lose their love for the game. But you are an exception to this, keep it up.

Everybody keeps asking..who is that girl in centerfield with the helmet that plays for giles county? Well, my name is Kristen Phillips and I am a senior at Giles County. I have been playing softball since I was old enough to walk and I have been playing travel ball since I was 9-10. I had a great high school career with softball since I was a freshman, starting in the outfield almost every game. In November 2004, I was on my way to school one morning and I had a really bad headache and started to have double vision, I called my mom and after going to the local emergency room, I was sent to Vanderbilt. After 3 long weeks at the hospital with my parents antsy to find out what was wrong with me, we finally got an answer. I had 3 blood clots in the back part of my brain and the neurologists and the hemotoligists told me that I would have to be put on blood thinner for 6 months. Of course, the first question I asked was, "do I get to play softball??". When the doctors told me no, I was absolutely DEVESTATED. Softball had been my life since I was a little girl. For a day or two, all I could do is cry. I wanted to play so bad. But, after I realized that things could have been soo much worse. I calmed down alot, and tried to figure out another way to still be involved with the team. My high school coaches, Donna Cobb and Shannon Fowler, were more than kind to me when all of this happened. They told me I could be the "student assistant coach". So I sat out my junior year but still attended every game and did everything I could to help out. After the 6 months came and went, I reported back to the hospital for my check up MRI. Well, I got some good news and some bad news, the doctors said that everything did look better, but the clots were still there. So they said another 6 months of blood thinner. Again, I was tore all to pieces, but I was determined to get better and be able to play my senior year. So after those six months rolled around, I went back to the doctor for another MRI. Again, I got good and bad news. It hadn't gotten worse but it was the same as it was 6 months before. So after a long talk with my neurologist about how important softball was to me, he considered letting me play with a helmet. He said he would have to consult with the board of neurology to final the decision. But 2 days later, they called and said that I could play as long as I wore a helmet. I was more than exstatic to get this news. My senior year and I was getting to play. I have worked very hard and am hopefully going to get some offers to play in college. As of right now I am a starter in center field and 1st on my team with a batting average of .397 and am looking to increase that as the season progresses. I just wanted to thank everybody that has been behind me supporting me throughout all of this. My teamates, my parents, my coaches, and my friends I want to say thank you. It has been a real life changing experience and I really appreciate everybodys support and prayers. THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!! XOXO!!!

I HOPE YOU GET TO PLAY COLLEGE BALL. GOODLUCK! GREAT STORY! HANG IN THERE!