YELLING AT PLAYERS....PRODUCTIVE OR NOT?

FridayMainEvent

What is your purpose with this topic? It sounds to me that you are wanting to "stir it up" I have watched your team play and it is obvious that you are like alot of schools in that there are a group of parents who want to run the team. My advice to the players would be to push through these types of situations because that is exactly what they are going to have to do when they get out in the real world unless they want to quit. Teach them that this is the way it works sometimes. They don't need to be taught to start talking to everyone about it or quitting, they need to learn to push through it or life will be tough.

Great take on this thread tigertim.

There are a lot of parents at this school who instead of trying to help the sports programs just want to critisize every coach who tries to correct their kid. It's amazing to me how much more these parents know than the coaches. especially the parents who have never played any sports. They are always trying to stir the pot looking for the coach who will favor their kid.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think a coach (a good coach) understands his/her players on an individual basis.

Some girls will get mad and give you 110% just to get back at you. Some girls will sulk and get upset and will continue to make errors on the field. You have to know which you're dealing with?

The one game that stands out in my mind, we were in a tied game, a runner at second, one out, a big hitter coming up after my daughter. I called for the bunt, she looked at me like I WANT TO HIT!!!! I again called for the bunt and got the same response! I Yelled at her from 3rd "YOU DO WHAT YOU WANT YOU KNOW MORE THAN ME,, HIT,,BUNT,,, SLAP,,, I DON'T CARE JUST GET ON BASE!!!!!

The next pitch she strolls into 3rd with a smile on her face, as if to say "I told you I wanted to hit!"

My response was "You did what I wanted,,, I said get on."

Some you push,,,, some you don't.

unclesherk just lost total control of his team.

You sound like a very intuitive and I bet successful coach. My daughter has played for alot of coaches in her softball/basketball career. I have seen and heard it all. The best coach she ever had yelled the most and the loudest but when he yelled at a player it was effective because he knew his players and the players respected him. Everytime he yelled at a player you would see him with his arm draped around her during the next break or after the game helping her to understand (and I think helping him to understand) what she needed to do differently. He not only coached the game, he taught it. And he took the time to develop a relationship with all his players. My daugther and her teammates loved him and had an undefeated season and a county championship under his guidance.

Four years later she still references incidents and lessons she learned on his team.

I think yelling can be a useful tool if used correctly by a coach that has earned the respect of the players.

Keemom your kid is as tough as they come and a very good catcher one of the best around here and I really enjoyed my time coaching her I think that year we did not yell loud enough because after tony did we went from not being placed to a force to be reconed with every were we went. The old saying of scold in private and praise in public may only be half right if it's justified.

Keemom your kid is as tough as they come and a very good catcher one of the best around here and I really enjoyed my time coaching her I think that year we did not yell loud enough because after tony did we went from not being placed to a force to be reconed with every were we went. The old saying of scold in private and praise in public may only be half right if it's justified.

Thanks, she really enjoyed playing with you guys. I think you guys had a good mix of coaching styles. Considering what she had just experience all three of you and especially Jon restored her faith that positive coaching exists and can be successful. Who will you daughter play for this summer? We really miss her and wish her luck and great success.

She was very fortunate to have such a hit, after disagreeing with your call as a coach. (If she had struck out and lost the game, your post would be an entirely different story). I do not believe any Coach let's a "player" make the call. Sorry.

I'd have benched her.

I thought the title of this post was "Yelling at players....Productive or not?" not "Is Unc. the greatest coach ever?" If so it would be a short post with only one reply,,

Mine saying NO!

My comment was sometimes you yell to get the attention of a player,, sometimes it will pay off to listen? I don't believe in Nazi Softball My way or the Highway!

A very fine Coach in a game situation called all his team to the mound,, explained the situation and ask his team what they wanted to do? THEY chose,, and it worked out just fine.

My point is there is no answere to this question,, it's personal,, yell don't yell,, right or wrong? WHO Knows?

My biggest dream in life however is to someday be half the coach you are.

I think that a coach should yell at a player. You cant just sit there and let your players keep making errors and not do anything about it.

Bench the player for an inning or 2 or more depending on the error it will send a much bigger message than yelling at them. Most players let the yelling go into one ear and out the other. Most players think that their positions are secure and if they have to sit due to errors they may play just alittle bit harder to keep their position.

I have read all the posts on this thread, alot of good points and not so good. I have been a coach for 15 years both Boys & Girls. I.M.O. any coach that yells @ a player for a phys. error is wrong, to yell @ a player for making a mental error is also wrong. No player goes out onto the field and thinks boy i hope i mess up a play or two, No player goes to the plate hoping they will strike out. If a parent or a coach yells @ the player it is @ that time that the parent and or coach fells like the error or the strike out is a direct reflection upon them and that is wrong, just like when the player makes a great play or a great hit, It was the player and not the coach who made the play not the parent, or the instructor. Always give encouragement show the player the mistake they made this can be done with out yelling. Remember every player wants to do well some are better than others but all will look to their coach or parent for approval and some times the coach and parent are one. This goes for H.S. & Summer league. Thanks

Edited by Hittowin

I have read all the posts on this thread, alot of good points and not so good. I have been a coach for 15 years both Boys & Girls. I.M.O. any coach that yells @ a player for a phys. error is wrong, to yell @ a player for making a mental error is also wrong. No player goes out onto the field and thinks boy i hope i mess up a play or two, No player goes to the plate hoping they will strike out. If a parent or a coach yells @ the player it is @ that time that the parent and or coach fells like the error or the strike out is a direct reflection upon them and that is wrong, just like when the player makes a great play or a great hit, It was the player and not the coach who made the play not the parent, or the instructor. Always give encouragement show the player the mistake they made this can be done with out yelling. Remember every player wants to do well some are better than others but all will look to their coach or parent for approval and some times the coach and parent are one. This goes for H.S. & Summer league. Thanks

I don't think there is ever a reason to yell at a player, child, student, another person. I think there is a difference between raising your voice to be heard and yelling. Yelling to me means to belittle someone in front of others. Raising your voice never includes words that would embarass or hurt someone else. I have studied coaches, teachers, and parents over the years and have learned a lot. I have children that play ball and I know what works for them. These girls know when they have made a mistake, everyone in the stands knows it as well so why scream it to the world? The most effective coaching I have seen has been with a soft voice. The team or a player makes a mistake, they call time and come to the circle. You can't hear a word the coach says, but you can be sure the girls hear it. When the coach is done the you hear "yes, sir" and they come together to encourage each other for a second and then go back to their positions. Every time our coach has done this it has made a positive difference. I don't have a problem with benching someone for an inning to let them calm down or even making a team run when it's all said and done. If you don't run through first base, if you don't hit your cut off, if you consistently miss a sign... those are things that come from simple lack of focus and sometimes a little run fixes that. I have watched a certain coach for a few years and at first was very put off by the style. I felt that he just yelled too much at the kids, then I got to a place where I could actually hear what he said and realized that what he yelled was instruction and praise. Any correction was done between the coach and the player and not the entire audience.

I have never seen a situation in a classroom, in a home, restaurant or ballfield where a temper tantrum was productive.

But, I know that this topic will have as many opinions as there are people logged on to Coacht.