Terrible Tennessee Refs

Total90

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've posted on this thread before, but I've just been pretty irritated by another terrible official, so I'm on here again. Alright, bad judgement is one thing, but ignorance of the actual Laws of the Game is another. There is no excuse for it. And I'm not just on here spouting off because my team lost and I'm sore; we won the game. But it just made the game hard to play for both teams because the officials didn't really know the rules. Like I said, bad judgement is going to happen, even to the best officials. But when your job is to enforce the rules, and you don't know them, that's bad.

USSF requirements are far more stringent than TSSAA. Until a few years ago the TSSAA test was open book - pay your $30 if you're 18, make a score of 70 and you could ref a game. USSF requires two full weekends of classroom instruction and a physical test.

However the physical test isnt anything even remotely tough. And classroom instruction consists of boring referee stories without any real connection to the game.

In all honesty anyone with a decent knowledge of soccer can pass the test and become a referee. Physical requirements are minimal, and the test is a joke. Anyone who has played competitive soccer would ace the test without even going to class.

However the physical test isnt anything even remotely tough. And classroom instruction consists of boring referee stories without any real connection to the game.

In all honesty anyone with a decent knowledge of soccer can pass the test and become a referee. Physical requirements are minimal, and the test is a joke. Anyone who has played competitive soccer would ace the test without even going to class.

Actually Black Rims. We are talking about high school refs. You have to be a certain grade ref to ref a high school game. You cant just go straight to refing high school games. You have to center like 100 to 200 highly competitve games to even be able to apply for and upgrade. Give them a break. All refs dont know every minor rule that you may know by some fluke. The refs that are reffing our games arent reffing for a reason they are reffing them because they love the game.

Actually Black Rims. We are talking about high school refs. You have to be a certain grade ref to ref a high school game. You cant just go straight to refing high school games. You have to center like 100 to 200 highly competitve games to even be able to apply for and upgrade. Give them a break. All refs dont know every minor rule that you may know by some fluke. The refs that are reffing our games arent reffing for a reason they are reffing them because they love the game.

If a ref has ref'd 100 to 200 highly competitive games......he would know that a play stoppage due to injury does not warrant a free kick given to the team that had possession at the time of the injury (injury was away from the ball).

A ref that has ref'd 100 to 200 highly competitive games would know the difference between a foul in the box and competitive play.

A ref that has ref'd 100 to 200 highly competitive games would know the difference between a penalty kick and a direct kick. I once saw a ref take the ball from one end of the field to the other and award a PK for a player running into the goalie.

I could go on and on, but there is a high percentage of high school and middle school refs that don't have a clue about the game. After the 100th game, anyone that took the job serious would get it right most of the time. I can live with mistakes, but mistakes that determine the outcome of games is not fair to the players, coaches, or fans.

There are great refs out there. I have seen them. I think there should be some standard that the poor ones should be held accountable for. It wouldn't take much. Just a blind evaluation here and there.

Worst ref of the year award goes to Doug Sena (he also centered the martin dyersburg game).

we nicknamed him the 40-year-old virgin...(looks a little like the actor)...I would agree he is by far the worst official on planet earth. Here is an example from the Martin-Dyersburg semi-final game: Ball hits the out-stretched (keyword) hand of a Martin defender in the box, side official raises his flag signaling a penalty. Sena looks at his judge and says, "yeah that was a hand ball but I'm not calling it"...if he calls the penalty Zac Berry takes his 2nd goal and we win 2-0.

we nicknamed him the 40-year-old virgin...(looks a little like the actor)...I would agree he is by far the worst official on planet earth. Here is an example from the Martin-Dyersburg semi-final game: Ball hits the out-stretched (keyword) hand of a Martin defender in the box, side official raises his flag signaling a penalty. Sena looks at his judge and says, "yeah that was a hand ball but I'm not calling it"...if he calls the penalty Zac Berry takes his 2nd goal and we win 2-0.

ha now that you mention it, that is who he looks like

Just a question... Was the final score of the Westview-D'burg game 2-1 and if so why would Berry scoring 2 PK's make it a 2-0 win for D'burg? Also, I agree... the center ref did make some tough calls. in fact the first PK for Dyersburg was for a trip in the box. J. Billingsby said he never touched the Dyersburg player who went down. Westview got a tough call and they played through. Also, if you know your soccer, an incidental hand ball in the box is not a PK. Just because a ball hits and out stretched hand (the player did not reach out to hit the ball) does not make it a hand ball. Don't blame a loss on the ref. Everyone knows the refs are not the greatest in this area. Play your best and it won't matter what the ref calls, win or lose.

Just a question... Was the final score of the Westview-D'burg game 2-1 and if so why would Berry scoring 2 PK's make it a 2-0 win for D'burg? Also, I agree... the center ref did make some tough calls. in fact the first PK for Dyersburg was for a trip in the box. J. Billingsby said he never touched the Dyersburg player who went down. Westview got a tough call and they played through. Also, if you know your soccer, an incidental hand ball in the box is not a PK. Just because a ball hits and out stretched hand (the player did not reach out to hit the ball) does not make it a hand ball. Don't blame a loss on the ref. Everyone knows the refs are not the greatest in this area. Play your best and it won't matter what the ref calls, win or lose.

well it would make since that the westview player would say he didn't foul our player. I dont want to start making excuses why we lost. We played bad and that was it.