Melrose Coach - 1 year and done

westtnbballer

I don't know much about this but, Melrose did play for a state championship this year. They were beaten by one of the best teams in the state. Also lost one during reular season to CBHS who played for a state championship in D2 triple A. Sounds like a banner year for anyone. I know nothing about the coach but no one else has been able to handle Maryville lately. CBHS has been hard to handle to. Something went right in Orange Mound.

I was wondering the same thing also. What happened to the 2 previous coaches?The original question still has not been answered. Why has a team with so many wins have so much trouble keeping a coach? This team has only lost 6 games in the past 4 years, and only 2 of those were regular season losses to CBHS, and 2 more were state championship games.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched the Melrose/Maryville game on tape 4 or 5 times. Here are the reasons Maryville won.

1. Melrose made too many mistakes. Jumping offsides,Illegal man downfield,Intential grounding,Fumbles and interceptions.It is hard to beat Maryville making that many mistakes.

2. Maryville had better field position most of the game.

3. Maryville scored 2 touchdowns on trick plays. They took advantage of Melroses aggressive defense.

4. Maryvilles running back Ryan Tallent takes one 70 yds to the house. It was on a counter play that Maryville put in that week. They took advantage of Melroses aggressiveness.

5. Melrose had several linemen go both ways. I don't think Michael Carter,Robert Dorsey and Donald Houston ever left the field. They were dead tired in the 4th quarter. I know Gary Tucker,Justin Voto and Josh Smith from Maryville played on both sides but they didn't play every snap. Anthony Jackson played well at DT which allowed Tucker and Smith to rest. Jon Killabrew and Dwight Wood allowed Voto to get plenty of rest. Maryville had more depth on the line.

6. Graig Cooper is a great back. After his 1st 2 runs Maryville adjusted and stopped him. Maryville's defensive line dominated Melroses offensive line. Especially later in the game when those guys going both ways got tired. In the 2nd half Cooper took a beating. Josh Smith himself had 3 stops where he hit Cooper right after he got the handoff.

7. Quarles outcoached Flowers. But! Flowers wasn't the 1st to be outcoached by Quarles.

This defense Maryville had in 2005 was the best they have had under Quarles. It was one of the best Maryville defenses in their history. The front 7 was the most athletic ever at Maryville. Maryville shut down a lot of teams in 2005. Alcoa scored over 700 points this year. They only got 6 points when Maryville had all their 1st string in. When the score was 34-6 Quarles started subbing on defense.Everyone saw how explosive Alcoa's offense was against Goodpasture. In 2 meetings with Powell they held them to 19 points. Only 6 was scored on the 1st string.So in 2 meetings Maryville's 1st string defense gave up 6 points to Powell. Powell averaged well over 30 points a game. Lee Smith and Cody Watts are fantastic players. In 2 meetings with Central the 1st string defense gave up 23 points to Central. Maryville's defense held Central to no points in the regular season game. Both of Centrals touchdowns were scored off of their defense. Central averaged over 35 points a game. Maryville shut out MOWest. Mowest averaged well over 30 a game. Maryville held them to 150 yds total.

Look at the thread -- it about Melrose and their former coach.

I watched the Melrose/Maryville game on tape 4 or 5 times. Here are the reasons Maryville won.

1. Melrose made too many mistakes. Jumping offsides,Illegal man downfield,Intential grounding,Fumbles and interceptions.It is hard to beat Maryville making that many mistakes.

2. Maryville had better field position most of the game.

3. Maryville scored 2 touchdowns on trick plays. They took advantage of Melroses aggressive defense.

4. Maryvilles running back Ryan Tallent takes one 70 yds to the house. It was on a counter play that Maryville put in that week. They took advantage of Melroses aggressiveness.

5. Melrose had several linemen go both ways. I don't think Michael Carter,Robert Dorsey and Donald Houston ever left the field. They were dead tired in the 4th quarter. I know Gary Tucker,Justin Voto and Josh Smith from Maryville played on both sides but they didn't play every snap. Anthony Jackson played well at DT which allowed Tucker and Smith to rest. Jon Killabrew and Dwight Wood allowed Voto to get plenty of rest. Maryville had more depth on the line.

6. Graig Cooper is a great back. After his 1st 2 runs Maryville adjusted and stopped him. Maryville's defensive line dominated Melroses offensive line. Especially later in the game when those guys going both ways got tired. In the 2nd half Cooper took a beating. Josh Smith himself had 3 stops where he hit Cooper right after he got the handoff.

7. Quarles outcoached Flowers. But! Flowers wasn't the 1st to be outcoached by Quarles.

This defense Maryville had in 2005 was the best they have had under Quarles. It was one of the best Maryville defenses in their history. The front 7 was the most athletic ever at Maryville. Maryville shut down a lot of teams in 2005. Alcoa scored over 700 points this year. They only got 6 points when Maryville had all their 1st string in. When the score was 34-6 Quarles started subbing on defense.Everyone saw how explosive Alcoa's offense was against Goodpasture. In 2 meetings with Powell they held them to 19 points. Only 6 was scored on the 1st string.So in 2 meetings Maryville's 1st string defense gave up 6 points to Powell. Powell averaged well over 30 points a game. Lee Smith and Cody Watts are fantastic players. In 2 meetings with Central the 1st string defense gave up 23 points to Central. Maryville's defense held Central to no points in the regular season game. Both of Centrals touchdowns were scored off of their defense. Central averaged over 35 points a game. Maryville shut out MOWest. Mowest averaged well over 30 a game. Maryville held them to 150 yds total.

Look at the thread -- it about Melrose and their former coach.

Sheeesh Stan, stop your whinning. You use to be a respected poster but have now joined the Maryville haters club. I understand that Maryville has made you and your favorites look bad the last couple of years. I understand that you can't swallow the fact that Maryville adjusted quick and shut down the "greatest back" you have every experienced. Eat your crow and try to be humble in you defeats Stan.

Why bash someone who wants a thread to stay on topic?

Not every issue revolves around Maryville....

Sheeesh Stan, stop your whinning. You use to be a respected poster but have now joined the Maryville haters club. I understand that Maryville has made you and your favorites look bad the last couple of years. I understand that you can't swallow the fact that Maryville adjusted quick and shut down the "greatest back" you have every experienced. Eat your crow and try to be humble in you defeats Stan.

Why bash someone who wants a thread to stay on topic?

Not every issue revolves around Maryville....

Maybe a slight reach but it was on topic in the discussion of coach Flowers and his successes/failures as the head coach at Melrose.

Not a bash Stan but an accurate statement on your leanings the last couple of years.

I was looking over the threads after reading your statement "not every issue revolves around Maryville" and a I would agree. Only four to five current threads out of over 100 have anything Maryville in it. I understand what you were saying but that was a major exageration on your part Stan. Similar to your predictions and guarantees.

It is obvious and easy to see your frustrations and from a fans prospective I understand but as a board monitor I would think you should try to be a little more unbiased in your hatred of a Highschool football team with teenagers filling the positions.

I find it hard to believe Melrose can't produce an efficient QB. They have numerous athletes and they can't find someone to run an efficient passing game.

Gerry....Wilson wasn't a bad QB and has the tools to be efficient but the unit as a whole was not coached well in a passing game. You and I both know Melrose has the ahtletes to run an efficient passing game if coached porperly.

Stan

I get tired of hearing. Well if Melrose would have run Cooper more they would have won. The year before it was. Well if Melrose had a passing game and kicking game they would have won. Always an excuse.

My 1st post in this thread I never mentioned Maryville.

I know what Flowers was thinking. He wanted Melrose to be able to pass and run. He wanted a balanced offense.Me and STARS have talked about this and we both agree. You can get to the state title game with a great defense. Melrose the last 2 seasons and MOWest in 2003 were the best defenses I ever seen a Quarles coached Maryville team go up against. But! To win state titles you have to be able to score points. Maryville can score because they are always balanced.

People were on this forum last year criticizing Kenny Ingram for being conservative in the 2004 state title game.

Good luck to Melrose in finding a new coach. Those young men deserve stability in their coaching staff.

Stan

I get tired of hearing. Well if Melrose would have run Cooper more they would have won. The year before it was. Well if Melrose had a passing game and kicking game they would have won. Always an excuse.

My 1st post in this thread I never mentioned Maryville.

I know what Flowers was thinking. He wanted Melrose to be able to pass and run. He wanted a balanced offense.Me and STARS have talked about this and we both agree. You can get to the state title game with a great defense. Melrose the last 2 seasons and MOWest in 2003 were the best defenses I ever seen a Quarles coached Maryville team go up against. But! To win state titles you have to be able to score points. Maryville can score because they are always balanced.

People were on this forum last year criticizing Kenny Ingram for being conservative in the 2004 state title game.

Good luck to Melrose in finding a new coach. Those young men deserve stability in their coaching staff.

Anyone know who the front-runner is to replace Coach Flowers? Any chance that they would look outside of Memphis? There are some pretty good coaches in west Tennessee that I think could really have success with the talent at Melrose.

Being from Memphis I know a little about Melrose. I can tell you that their fans are very passionate about their football- anything less than a state championship is simply unacceptable. Right or wrong, that's the standard that Melrose football is held to. So it's not exactly easy to coach in Orange Mound.

As for this past season, Melrose spent much of the of the year trying to establish a passing game, they finally found a decent QB in Wilson. However, I think that in doing that they took the ball out of Cooper's hands and struggled at the beginning of the year with mediocre opponents. Most of the games this year were won because of their superior athletic ability, and, for the most part, a well disciplined and well coached team could have beaten them.

Personally, I think they need to find a coach that can teach them discipline- they've got more athletes than several teams could put together. A little discipline and they could be scary good.