Jewlery Rule

PTSportsWriter

That's not the rule. Covering an issue during the pregame does not establish a team warning. If that was the case, we would warn for throwing the bat, profanity, and anything else we could think of at the time. Then we would eject for every major infraction without warning. The kid should have been told to remove it, a team warning should have issued and documented, and then any subsequent act would result in ejection. You're right, however, that the ump was not nit picky, he was just flat wrong.

Pet peeve time. There is NO thrown bat rule. You have to decide that a player is endangering someone and eject him. The phrase "thrown bat" is in no rule book, no league, not not even Little League. If an ump calls it, it is a protestable call.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pet peeve time. There is NO thrown bat rule. You have to decide that a player is endangering someone and eject him. The phrase "thrown bat" is in no rule book, no league, not not even Little League. If an ump calls it, it is a protestable call.

Just remember...you CANNOT PROTEST A JUDGEMENT CALL ,ONLY RULES INTERPRETATION...I have seen a few players ejected for this after a warning...I believe one was ejected in the state a couple of years ago...

One more note about the bat throwing issue..It seems it would make a difference if the bat was slung immediatley after hitting the ball or if it was thrown in disgust or anger.. One is poor hitting technique or slipping of the grip and the other is plain old poor sportsmanship and lack of class. Either is dangerous and should not be allowed..

NFHS Rules Book 2006 p. 30-31

"Art. 1..A coach, player, substitute, attendant or other bench personnel shall not:

a....b....c. carelessly throw a bat; Penalty: At the end of playing action, the umpire shall issue a warning to the coach of the team involved and the next offender on that team shall be ejected, except for (f), where the coach shall be ejected. In b, it is also obstruction (8-3-2)." Item f by the way involves using tvs or replay equipment for coaching purposes during the game. Item b is "fake a tag without the ball." Enough said about the rule; this is black and white.

Finally, there are NO PROTESTS in TSSAA sanctioned baseball games. The coach must contact the TSSAA after the fact and let them sort it out. Games are not played under protest in Tennessee. I found that out the hard way.

Edited by uknowme

NFHS Rules Book 2006 p. 30-31

"Art. 1..A coach, player, substitute, attendant or other bench personnel shall not:

a....b....c. carelessly throw a bat; Penalty: At the end of playing action, the umpire shall issue a warning to the coach of the team involved and the next offender on that team shall be ejected, except for (f), where the coach shall be ejected. In b, it is also obstruction (8-3-2)." Item f by the way involves using tvs or replay equipment for coaching purposes during the game. Item b is "fake a tag without the ball." Enough said about the rule; this is black and white.

Finally, there are NO PROTESTS in TSSAA sanctioned baseball games. The coach must contact the TSSAA after the fact and let them sort it out. Games are not played under protest in Tennessee. I found that out the hard way.

You are correct in the fact that there is no actual protest in TSSAA..If the coach wishes to have something reviewed he must call in the report to TSSAA and they will look into it and decide what action if any will be taken.. I dont think that they would consider a judgement call under these circumstances, only a rule interpretation..correct me if wrong...

Also a couple of things on the thrown bat rule: The rule book states that if a bat is CARELESSLY THROWN, then the ump shall issue a team warning and then eject the next offender, BUT if the BAT OR HELMET is DELIBERATELY thrown, then it IS an ejection, no questions,.. Some umpires will tell the coach to calm the player down and usually that works ..Most coaches do not approve of their players acting this way and will immediately put a stop to it themselves..Just seems like you sure do hear a whole lot of batting helmets flying in the dugout atfer a player makes an out or error..

You are correct in the fact that there is no actual protest in TSSAA..If the coach wishes to have something reviewed he must call in the report to TSSAA and they will look into it and decide what action if any will be taken.. I dont think that they would consider a judgement call under these circumstances, only a rule interpretation..correct me if wrong...

Also a couple of things on the thrown bat rule: The rule book states that if a bat is CARELESSLY THROWN, then the ump shall issue a team warning and then eject the next offender, BUT if the BAT OR HELMET is DELIBERATELY thrown, then it IS an ejection, no questions,.. Some umpires will tell the coach to calm the player down and usually that works ..Most coaches do not approve of their players acting this way and will immediately put a stop to it themselves..Just seems like you sure do hear a whole lot of batting helmets flying in the dugout atfer a player makes an out or error..

Deliberate actions constitute unsportsmanlike conduct and can result in immediate ejection. A little judgement can be used. ie. throwing helmet out of frustration at self could be a warning; throwing helmet out of protest to call should be ejection.

Well I Had Always Heard That You Could Where A Religious Peice Of Jewelry, Such As A Cross Charm On A Necklace, As Long As It Couldn't Be Seen!

This piece of jewlery is not to be worn during a high school baseball game, if I see it I ask them to remove it, during the game it is a warning..If they get hurt with it on and U did not ask them if they are properly equipped, you're *** is responsible for the injury, and you can bet that some parents will take it to the extreme, do you're job and don't worry about this situation.....People will always say that you are a picky person on this, but they do not have to take the responsibility of this situation. Take care of yourself........If a coach wishes to take this beyound the game go ahead, let him take the responsibility......