TSSAA Issues Sanctions on Tullahoma

Whitey

TSSAA has forced Tullahoma to forfeit all of it's district games because of playing an inelligible player (a senior who is about to graduate with honors that was taking only two classes when TSSAA requires players to take at least three classes). Tullahoma self-reported (the honorable and right thing to do), but TSSAA came down again with a harsh penalty against another region team (Riverdale being the first at the end of last year).

What do the forfeits do now to the standings in District 8?

Sorry this happened guys!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I understand the situation, Tullahome only forfeits the games the guy played in. The win against Columbia and the tie with Shelbyville stand, I believe. They finish with 4 points, but still in last place.

1. Shelbyville 16

2. Coffee 7

2. Franklin 7

4. Lincoln 6

4. Columbia 6

6. Lawrence 5

7. Tullahoma 4

Coffee still has Franklin and Lincoln. Lincoln also still has Lawrence. This is no blessing for the team that finishes second, as they will play Tullahoma in the first round. Too bad it's not an 8 team district!

Either Franklin, Coffee, or Lincoln could easily finish second. Columbia can't because they've finished district play. Lawrence is mathematically out of 2nd. You're right though...it's the team that finishes second that gets hurt. I guess the second place team won't be taking that first round game for granted!

Edited by RedRaider#1

TSSAA has forced Tullahoma to forfeit all of it's district games because of playing an inelligible player (a senior who is about to graduate with honors that was taking only two classes when TSSAA requires players to take at least three classes). Tullahoma self-reported (the honorable and right thing to do), but TSSAA came down again with a harsh penalty against another region team (Riverdale being the first at the end of last year).

I think this is right, but the season distict stuff doesn't really matter, so Tullahoma could still win thier district in the distrcit tournament and go on to win state.

I think TSSAA punishment doesn't fit the crime as one would say, but they are consistent. Look what they did to Riverdale last year, again the crime did not fit the punishment. Why don't high school coaches just get rid of TSSAA, form thier own league, since they don't like what they do anyway. All it would take is not paying their stupid fee and creating there own league.

What do you think the TSSAA should have done?

What do you think the TSSAA should have done?

You fine the school or the coach. If the kid didn't know he needed to attend three or more classes to play soccer, then that's the school or coaches fault. Let them take responsibility. SO you honestly think the kids thought to himself, I am going to just take two classess and see if I can get away with it Now you have punished the entire team for what? Is attending only two classes vs three classes, determining the outcome of the game. If you anwser no, then you don't punish the entire team. Some common sense has to prevail.

You don't ruin a high school season for the rest of the team. It's the same thing that happened to Riverdale last year. They ruined a whole team's season, for someone who was a back up keeper and never played. The player was walking by a recreation team and was ask if he could fill in at goalie and for a goalie who doesn't get to play, he was just excited that someone ask him. "I get to play some goalie" The kid only played for 15 minutes. The kid didn't know he was breaking a rule. So you have to ask the question, did that kid playing in that recreation game affect the outcome of any other game that Riverdale played. If you anwsered yes, then you are fooling yourself. Therefore the punishment didn't fit the crime. The game the kid played in afterwards was a district tournament game against White County where Riverdale was up 6 or 8 to nothing. So, along with ruining the team's season, you bash the hopes of seniors who have been playin for 4 years. Do you think that is fair punishment? That's not fair.

People want TSSAA to be reasonable, that is what TSSAA should have done and should be doing! People act like in those two situations, that someone was trying to get away with breaaking rules or bend rules, each of those teams reported themselves. Be fair that what TSSAA needs to do. Kid attending two classes instead of three, give me a break, I guess he was out with another team violating the independent game rule!!! instead of taking his third class which probably would have been study hall!

Edited by BlackmanSoccerDad

its not richie chadwicks fault he's the guidance councilor at east middle

so its up to the administration at tullahoma high to keep up with it but they just overlooked it luckily they did double check his eligibility status and found the error and self reported it to the tssaa

forfeiting all our district wins is a fair punishment i don't think their should a fine because its self reported

Edited by mjuhb