Classification changes

Indian

Pearl-Cohn won in '96 and '97. Did they drop down from 5A? The other 3 state chamions were Hillsboro, Memphis East and Melrose. Again, I do not know if any of them came from 5A.

Judging by TSSAA playoff information, Pearl-Cohn and Memphis East have not played at the AAAAA level. Hillsboro played at least 2 years in AAAAA (first round losses in 1997 and 1998), as did Melrose (first round losses in 1993 and 1994).

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did do a little reseach on this to see how many 5A teams dropped down to win a 4A state championship. Since the move from 3 classes to 5 in 1993, Cleveland has won 3 state championships. Since they were in '93, '94, 'and '95 they obviously did not drop down from 5A. Maryville has won 6. I could be wrong, but I think they have been 4A since the reclassification in 1993. Pearl-Cohn won in '96 and '97. Did they drop down from 5A? The other 3 state chamions were Hillsboro, Memphis East and Melrose. Again, I do not know if any of them came from 5A. I did also notice that Brentwoon Academy lost the '93 4A state title game, then moved up to 5A and won the '96 state championship. I said all that to say this, I do not think that 4A is the easiest to compete in. I will also say that since my high school is 4A I cannot wait for Maryville to go to 5A. I would also love to see Maryville play Oak Ridge and Dobyns-Bennett. Those could be some great games.

Good job Mikey shooting down that obvious erronous statement from Coachfoozeball.... :(

Good job Mikey shooting down that obvious erronous statement from Coachfoozeball.... :(

I knew you Maryville people would go nuts when I said what I said, but I guess you didn't read what I said. I said Maryville would still do fine. However, as one other poster stated, I was refering to the numerous teams that win several games(not just state championships) and they couldn't do the same in 5A.

examples: Melrose, Hillsboro,(as was stated) There are many others look at Hillwood in 4A they went undefeated in 5A they fire the coach.

Look at Kenwood they couldn't win a game in 5A they go 8-2(I think) in 4A.

Maryville is a great program. I was not taking away from what they do and have done.

There are probably more schools that dropped and instantly won games. I will check past schedules and put more names to what I was trying to say

I knew you Maryville people would go nuts when I said what I said, but I guess you didn't read what I said. I said Maryville would still do fine. However, as one other poster stated, I was refering to the numerous teams that win several games(not just state championships) and they couldn't do the same in 5A.

examples: Melrose, Hillsboro,(as was stated) There are many others look at Hillwood in 4A they went undefeated in 5A they fire the coach.

Went nuts?......LOL..don't give yourself too much credit there. Nobody went nuts. We were just complimenting Mikey for pointing our an inaccurate post. Your post is not significant enouth to cause anybody to go nuts.

5A is better than 4A.....no joke shurlock. I wonder why. :(

Your statement...."4A is the easiest" is laughable.

Now if you want to say that 5A is better than 4A top to bottom then we would all agree but it's difficult to prove your statement based on state championship winners in 4A.

Melrose won their titles in 3A.

5A is better than 4A but not a whole lot better.Many people act like in 5A you play the New England Patriots and in 4A you play the Knoxville Summit. For you people who don't know who the Knoxville Summit is? They are a womens football team. I don't know about West Tennessee that much. I would be willing to bet that the best public school in West Tennessee the last 2 seasons was Melrose.

In East Tennessee I think 4A may be better. Maryville's region is as tough as any in the state.

In Middle Tennessee is where 5A dominates. Riverdale,Franklin,Brentwood and Ravenwood are great programs. Lincoln County,Oakland,Dickson County and Cookeville have strong programs.

Maryville can compete with any team in this state. They may not be the best team every year but they can compete with any 5A or Private School.

5A is better than 4A but not a whole lot better.Many people act like in 5A you play the New England Patriots and in 4A you play the Knoxville Summit. For you people who don't know who the Knoxville Summit is? They are a womens football team. I don't know about West Tennessee that much. I would be willing to bet that the best public school in West Tennessee the last 2 seasons was Melrose.

In East Tennessee I think 4A may be better. Maryville's region is as tough as any in the state.

In Middle Tennessee is where 5A dominates. Riverdale,Franklin,Brentwood and Ravenwood are great programs. Lincoln County,Oakland,Dickson County and Cookeville have strong programs.

Maryville can compete with any team in this state. They may not be the best team every year but they can compete with any 5A or Private School.

I agree with what you are saying. I guess I was just talking more about Middle TN. I have nothing but the utmost respect for Maryville and I have watched them in the state champ. games and I do believe that they can compete with anyone.

However in Middle Tn. it is obvious that teams that drop down to 4A win more than they lose and the ones that have to move up lose more than they win.

Kenwood 5A 1-9 and 0-10 move to 4A 8-2

Columbia 4A wins at least 6 or more each year they move to 5A they win 3

Hillwood 4A undefeated a few years back this past year 1 win and fire the coach

Clarksville 5A they did make playoffs one year other than that not very good

last year in 4a they finish 2nd in region

Northeast 4A they win 6 or more 5A lucky to win one

Henry Co. 5A 1 or 2 wins 4A they win 8

Hillsboro and Melrose were both in 5A and went out in first round

These are just a few. It took me a long time looking at all the schedules and seeing who was 4A and 5A

I am sure there are more.

ONce again, I am not ripping on Maryville. Heck, I would hate for our little school to have to play them. Well, maybe not, if we were playing Maryville, it would be for the state.

You can also go back to AAA when there was just 3 classifications and how may teams that are now 4A competed year in and year out with the ones that are 5A

I agree with most of what you said, except Oakland have a strong program. 2-8 both the past 2 years.

However in Middle Tn. it is obvious that teams that drop down to 4A win more than they lose and the ones that have to move up lose more than they win.

Depends on which regions you are talking about. Region 3-5A could not win playoff spots with Region 5-4A, with the exception of Cookeville. No doubt the weak 5A will beat the weak 4A teams. But the good 4A can compete with the good 5A teams most of the time.

I agree that 4A football in Middle Tenn is not as strong as East Tenn.

Depends on which regions you are talking about. Region 3-5A could not win playoff spots with Region 5-4A, with the exception of Cookeville. No doubt the weak 5A will beat the weak 4A teams. But the good 4A can compete with the good 5A teams most of the time.

I agree that 4A football in Middle Tenn is not as strong as East Tenn.

What will the cutoff numbers be for A, AA, AAA , AAAA, AAAAA, ?

It could change, if all the current private schools in Division I move to Division II. I know some don't want to hear that but all I am saying is it could happen. I wouldn't mind a four-class system with those teams in another division. If not, I'd guess they'd be similar to the last time, probably can be found on the TSSAA site.