yes or no only

my2cents

This would be a more true statement....."If you have the money then more than likely they are gonna accept you".

VG (who tries to keep it real)

I'm not gonna disagree with you, but I figured the money situation was a given. Sorry I didn't think I had to spell that out. Not everyone who goes there is extremely well off. Some, including my mom, had to give up a lot to send me there. Just trying to make the point that race nor handicap keeps you from going there. I've always respected your opinion VG but did someone touch a nerve or something?

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not gonna disagree with you, but I figured the money situation was a given. Sorry I didn't think I had to spell that out. Not everyone who goes there is extremely well off. Some, including my mom, had to give up a lot to send me there. Just trying to make the point that race nor handicap keeps you from going there. I've always respected your opinion VG but did someone touch a nerve or something?

Sorry.didn`t mean to come across as being negative. It`s admirable that TCA does take handicap kids. The fact that they do says something positive about the school. I just didn`t want it to get lost in the fact though that I didn`t think there were too many poverty stricken handicap kids there. But it`s better than USJ in the fact that I know there you can have the money to get in yet if you have some learning disability USJ doesn`t have the resources to help and kids have had to make accomadations with the public school system to garner the help they need while still going to USJ.

VG (still keeping it real)

I completely disagree here. Teachers are by no means the only folks whose "success" depends on others.

Take me for example. I work for myself. I am a orthodontist. I rely on my staff for everything. If they make a mistake ... my insurance pays for the error and I pay more in premiums (unless there are too many mistakes and then I'm shopping for new insurance) . If my front desk folks are lazy and don't answer the phones ... my kids don't eat. It is my job to keep them all trained properly and motivated to do well. If I don't ... I will be out of a job. Teachers should not get a free pass.

Quick question. The tests are asking questions of things that should have been learned at specific grade levels. Why would you test for less than that base of knowledge to see if a teacher or school has been successful?

Folks from Trousdale call me the "toof's fairy". :lol:

Ah, yes, indeed... but I'll bet you wouldn't hire any random person that walked through your door. Businesses have a choice of people to rely on...those that they feel are qualified enough to hire. Teachers in public schools have no such luxury.

Quick question. If your staff consisted of totally random, potentially unqualified people, would any amount of proper training and motivation result in success for your business? There's a good chance it wouldn't.

The state is deciding what kids should and shouldn't know, and we all know how good a grip the government usually has on reality. Our teachers are being forced to adhere to a rigid curriculum at the expense of teaching critical thinking skills, which are a common denominator for academic and personal success, as any college professor will tell you.

Rote memorization isn't helping our kids. Meeting benchmarks means nothing if the kids are forgetting it in a matter of months.

The toof's fairy? Hmm... I'm drawing a blank...

True, but it just points out one of the inadequacies (whoa sp?!!) of private schools. They don`t cater to kids with special needs just reinforcing my statement that public schools give a more well rounded education.

How does that service offer a more well rounded education? Do all public school students attend special ed classes? That's pretty funny if the do. :lol:

Ah, yes, indeed... but I'll bet you wouldn't hire any random person that walked through your door. Businesses have a choice of people to rely on...those that they feel are qualified enough to hire. Teachers in public schools have no such luxury.

Quick question. If your staff consisted of totally random, potentially unqualified people, would any amount of proper training and motivation result in success for your business? There's a good chance it wouldn't.

Hmmmm ... lets see. From grade to grade, there should never be unqualified students as they should all be passing the minimum requirements to get to the next grade. That's what makes for 15 year old 7th graders. :lol:

The state is deciding what kids should and shouldn't know, and we all know how good a grip the government usually has on reality. Our teachers are being forced to adhere to a rigid curriculum at the expense of teaching critical thinking skills, which are a common denominator for academic and personal success, as any college professor will tell you.

Who should decide what kids should and shouldn't know? The buck has to stop somewhere. Obviously, it wasn't happening at the teacher level. As for critical thinking skills ... if teachers are good teachers, they figure out how to teach the BASICS with critical thinking fostering skills.

The toof's fairy? Hmm... I'm drawing a blank...

That's OK. I shoot blanks now too. :lol:

How does that service offer a more well rounded education? Do all public school students attend special ed classes? That's pretty funny if the do. :lol:

I think that`s pretty obvious. But since you ask I`ll explain it to you. A school like USJ does NOT cater to kids that have special needs, therefore USJ kids are not benefited by being surrounded with kids that have different needs than them.

VG (who is happy to educate) :lol:

I think that`s pretty obvious. But since you ask I`ll explain it to you. A school like USJ does NOT cater to kids that have special needs, therefore USJ kids are not benefited by being surrounded with kids that have different needs than them.

VG (who is happy to educate) :lol:

As stated by folks on this thread, there are privates that cater to disabled and special needs kids. In addition, part of my experience with my school's senior service was to work with disabled youths.

Special ed kids rarely walk the halls freely at a public school. The rarely interact with the entire school population. When they do interact, it is on a limited basis. Been there, done that - at the public and private level.

Edited by tnsddeveloper

Hmmmm ... lets see. From grade to grade, there should never be unqualified students as they should all be passing the minimum requirements to get to the next grade. That's what makes for 15 year old 7th graders. :lol:

Who should decide what kids should and shouldn't know? The buck has to stop somewhere. Obviously, it wasn't happening at the teacher level. As for critical thinking skills ... if teachers are good teachers, they figure out how to teach the BASICS with critical thinking fostering skills.

That's OK. I shoot blanks now too. :lol:

In theory you're right, but you still didn't address my question.

Don't get the idea that I want to see teachers coddled. I just feel that they are getting an unfair shake in this business, second only to the students themselves. We can both agree that changes need to be made.

I will say, from experience, that FCS in my opinion has little or nothing to offer academically that LHS doesn't. Maybe a better "values education," but I think that term is pretty shady anyway.

I don't disagree there. Most of the private school kids really wanted to be there - as much as kids can want to be in school vs. the public that I attended.

That`s a diluted statement since most private school kids have attended that private school most of their life. They want to be where their friends are. They don`t really have a choice where their parents send them, but they do seem to like and be more comfortable where their friends are whether they are in a public or private school.

As stated by folks on this thread, there are privates that cater to disabled and special needs kids. In addition, part of my experience with my school's senior service was to work with disabled youths.

Special ed kids rarely walk the halls freely at a public school. The rarely interact with the entire school population. When they do interact, it is on a limited basis. Been there, done that - at the public and private level.

Special ed does not necessarily equate to wheel chair bound kids. Kids with ADD or ADHD do not require wheel chairs, but are not necessarily catered to by private schools.

Edited by VolunteerGeneral