yes or no only

my2cents

That is the sad thing in all of this. We've let the public school system go years and years without accountability, that people feel like they need to privately educate their children. I wish that I did not have to worry about sending my kids to private school ... but after watching the 10th or so story this year about kid/teacher romantic relationships and the uncountable lack of accountability and poor test score stories ... mine will be attending a private.

Comparing tests scores between students from public and private schools is useless. I guarantee you the top few students each year from here could do well at any private school in the state, a few more could do okay, but many would struggle if not fail. Can you understand why? It has nothing to do with the school.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Comparing tests scores between students from public and private schools is useless. I guarantee you the top few students each year from here could do well at any private school in the state, a few more could do okay, but many would struggle if not fail. Can you understand why? It has nothing to do with the school.

At no time did I compare public vs. private schools - that is something that you just did. There is no accountability in public schools. Just a fact.

no doubt about it.

this is the funnest board on T.

what is the best part?

lately it has been watching my old buddy, the vowel & tear general become a real public school parent.

not that he has changed his beliefs, or turned pro-split.

more that he has opened his eyes to the other side.

when folks start running down the public kids, or coaches,

he dont like it.

when they start up the narcisistic superiority nonsense

(we just work harder, etc, you should worship at our noble feet)

i can feel the visceral irritation in his responses.

his seminal post on the dichotomy of the christian school concept

was one of the better posts on here in a while.

it's a shame that it suffered the fate of most of the best posts and received no real responses. (in internet debate that probably counts as a win).

dang it vile ant ear.

what has the world come to, when we agree on so much?

The final 3 teams in class A are privates. One of the last 2 teams in AA is private.

That's about usual...so no...the multiplier hasn't affected softball much.

The multiplier will never cure all the sports ills. And it cerainly wasnt developed to cure the softball problems of so many private schools winning titles over the years. Get real folks, the only purpose for the TSSAA to change anything is for football and basketball...the only sports that make a profit. The multiplier has helped those sports, so it has worked in my opinion.

for all those people supporting public schools that think privates should play only their own kinds of schools....the public administrators will never want that?...why?...because they know that privates generate revenue for them...go to a private vs a public school footbal game in the big cities....privates will bring a whole lot of fans to the games.

One other thing, for those publics think its wrong for privates because they recruit....publics recruit just as much...the power houses in football and basketball all encourage families to move into their zones to be a part of better sports traditions.

At no time did I compare public vs. private schools - that is something that you just did. There is no accountability in public schools. Just a fact.

You said the test scores were poor, and a reason you're going private or have already. What are you comparing those scores against to consider them poor?

You said the test scores were poor, and a reason you're going private or have already. What are you comparing those scores against to consider them poor?

Let's see ... private schools (your illustrious contribution) ... but also better performing districts within this state ... nationally ... and just in general. :thumb:

The multiplier will never cure all the sports ills. And it cerainly wasnt developed to cure the softball problems of so many private schools winning titles over the years. Get real folks, the only purpose for the TSSAA to change anything is for football and basketball...the only sports that make a profit. The multiplier has helped those sports, so it has worked in my opinion.

for all those people supporting public schools that think privates should play only their own kinds of schools....the public administrators will never want that?...why?...because they know that privates generate revenue for them...go to a private vs a public school footbal game in the big cities....privates will bring a whole lot of fans to the games.

One other thing, for those publics think its wrong for privates because they recruit....publics recruit just as much...the power houses in football and basketball all encourage families to move into their zones to be a part of better sports traditions.

Notre Dame brought as few or fewer fans to Sequatchie as any district opponent this year, in basketball, baseball and softball. That includes four other Chattanooga teams so it's not just about the travel. That was with the best baseball team in the district, by the end of the district tournament at least, and a pretty good boys basketball team. East Ridge, Hixson brought considerably more in baseball. They wouldn't be missed. The last crowd listing I saw on the TSSAA site for the Division II state football championships had the number attending at something around 3,200, that was with Brentwood Academy playing just a few miles from their school, and the number was smaller than Division I 1A if I'm not mistaken. I don't see a lot of dollars leaving due to losing fans if private schools were to go in their own direction.

Let's see ... private schools (your illustrious contribution) ... but also better performing districts within this state ... nationally ... and just in general. :thumb:

Do you think it's the fault of the schools or of the students taking the tests and not doing well (and their parents)? The fact that this is a rural system didn't stop it from producing graduates from the Naval Academy (one who's flown missions over Iraq), West Point (a current "JAG" lawyer), Vanderbilt, Sewanee, and many other fine public and private universities. Do you think your child(ren) would be kept from achieving full potential due to being in a public school? I don't think that would happen here, why would it happen there?

Edited by Indian

Do you think it's the fault of the schools or of the students taking the tests and not doing well (and their parents)?

It is the schools job to prepare them to do well. Teachers are paid to do that. :thumb:

The fact that this is a rural system didn't stop it from producing graduates from the Naval Academy (one who's flown missions over Iraq), West Point (a current "JAG" lawyer), Vanderbilt, Sewanee, and many other fine public and private universities. Do you think your child(ren) would be kept from achieving full potential due to being in a public school? I don't think that would happen here, why would it happen there?

I don't doubt that my children would excel anywhere ... but I want them to have the best chance for success. Let me make a little comparison here. Let's say my kids run track. Why would I give them weighted shoes instead of getting them the best track shoes that I can afford?

I've been on both sides of this debate. I attended a public and played sports ... and then a private and played sports. I can see both sides and excelled at both ... but had a better chance for success at the private. :thumb:

Edited by tnsddeveloper

Do you think it's the fault of the schools or of the students taking the tests and not doing well (and their parents)? The fact that this is a rural system didn't stop it from producing graduates from the Naval Academy (one who's flown missions over Iraq), West Point (a current "JAG" lawyer), Vanderbilt, Sewanee, and many other fine public and private universities. Do you think your child(ren) would be kept from achieving full potential due to being in a public school? I don't think that would happen here, why would it happen there?

:thumb: very good grads...that is an impressive list. Furthermore, your facilities are top notch. I have always been impress with your school, football field, baseball fields. Excellent .

no doubt about it.

this is the funnest board on T.

what is the best part?

lately it has been watching my old buddy, the vowel & tear general become a real public school parent.

not that he has changed his beliefs, or turned pro-split.

more that he has opened his eyes to the other side.

when folks start running down the public kids, or coaches,

he dont like it.

when they start up the narcisistic superiority nonsense

(we just work harder, etc, you should worship at our noble feet)

i can feel the visceral irritation in his responses.

his seminal post on the dichotomy of the christian school concept

was one of the better posts on here in a while.

it's a shame that it suffered the fate of most of the best posts and received no real responses. (in internet debate that probably counts as a win).

dang it vile ant ear.

what has the world come to, when we agree on so much?

LOL...lazy

Now haven`t I always tried to tell you I`m a public school supporter? I just don`t think there needs to be a split. :thumb:

Personally I wish there were no private schools. But at the same time I`m not gonna try to cast them away and treat them like they are evil. I know how a lot of public school folks feel about private schools because I`m around public school kids and parents. Some of them are jealous. Some are resentful. Most of it comes down to the fact that a great many people judge others quality in terms of wealth. They thin that just because a kid attends a private school they must be better or somehow they think that private school kids think they are better. Somehow that the private school pasture is better. Well the way I see it is that EVERYONE makes a choice. We all choose the school we go to. That choice might be between a public and private school, or it might be between two public schools. Just watch the tempers boil anytime there is a school zone change in a system. That`s because people have moved to an area (meaning they chose their school) where they wanted their kids to go to school and are pretty upset that they are getting zoned to another school.