yes or no only

my2cents

"The last estimate I saw was about $7000 per student in tax payer money to educate a child in TN public schools now. Gasp! That is more per capita than most private schools need!"

isnt that just soooo amazing.

of course that $7000 per capita, that would be an average number, wouldnt it.

so that means it includes the physically handicapped kids...

that your precious privates wouldnt take.

(No way could they afford the sort of programs the public schools are required to offer)

i bet it includes the mentally handicapped kids your precious privates wouldnt take.

(same story)

and how about the financially handicapped....

(bet there's some wiggle room....for those with exceptional talent)

and the family situation handicapped...

the emotionally disturbed....

really, i reckon it includes about everyone who wouldnt guarantee success.

in my mind, you are achieveing the equivalent of beating a rec league team with a select all-star team.

forgive me if i dont come asking for advice.

i know how you achieve your success.

NO SPECIAL ED.

if public schools ever follow your lead,

may god have mercy on us all.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"The last estimate I saw was about $7000 per student in tax payer money to educate a child in TN public schools now. Gasp! That is more per capita than most private schools need!"

isnt that just soooo amazing.

of course that $7000 per capita, that would be an average number, wouldnt it.

Actually ... that money doesn't include the cost of facilities, new construction, or administrative costs from a central office. :lol:

so that means it includes the physically handicapped kids...

that your precious privates wouldnt take.

Actually, my private had several handicapped kids. Several in wheelchairs and others that required physical therapy ... that was brought on site. In addition, there were a few down syndrome kids.

Like you would know though ... I'm sure you have experience at a public and a private. :lol:

(No way could they afford the sort of programs the public schools are required to offer)

Which is it? Are privates the have's or the have not's?

i bet it includes the mentally handicapped kids your precious privates wouldnt take. (same story)

See above ... (same story)

and how about the financially handicapped....

(bet there's some wiggle room....for those with exceptional talent)

Wow ... I see where you are coming from now. You must be one of those that wants things for free.

I do worry about those that can not afford to send their kids to private schools because I feel like the public school system is letting them down. Obviously you feel the same way.

As for the wiggle room ... again, things don't come free. You have to be able to add to the school environment and that is your payment. Whether that is with a scholarship for grades, drama, band, music, art, or athletics. Although, most privates aren't offering scholarships for athletic ventures (see D1 privates).

and the family situation handicapped...

the emotionally disturbed....

really, i reckon it includes about everyone who wouldnt guarantee success.

If you think there aren't kids with broken homes at privates ... you must really, really be nuts.

in my mind, you are achieveing the equivalent of beating a rec league team with a select all-star team.

forgive me if i dont come asking for advice.

i know how you achieve your success.

NO SPECIAL ED.

if public schools ever follow your lead,

may god have mercy on us all.

Bless your heart. You really don't have a clue do you?

Why in the world do we need another increase in taxes? Again ... everything comes down to accountability. This time from politicians and government officials. State tax coffers are overflowing with cash. Why not vote in accountable politicians and pick officials that will use that cash effectively? The lesser pay rate for Wilson Co. teachers is less than surrounding counties ... but that isn't a lack of cash issue ... it is again, an accountability issue.

Subjective hands? If the kids can't pass standardized tests of things that are supposed to be taught, then the teachers don't deserve to keep their jobs. How in the world is that subjective? Everyone that holds down a job is accountable for their job performances ... why are teachers any different?

Fair enough. I agree with you on the accountability of our civil servants. Unfortunately, I don't see anything productive being done any time soon.

Why are teachers different? Because their "success" depends primarily on the performance of others, to a much larger degree than most professions. One can be an excellent instructor without the numbers showing it.

I realize their has to be a degree of standardization, but what is, in my mind, an overemphasis on these tests has handcuffed a teacher's ability to teach in the manner in which they are best suited, and thus makes them less effective as educators.

Who are you, if you don't mind me asking?

Fair enough. I agree with you on the accountability of our civil servants. Unfortunately, I don't see anything productive being done any time soon.

So true. Sad ... but so true.

Why are teachers different? Because their "success" depends primarily on the performance of others, to a much larger degree than most professions. One can be an excellent instructor without the numbers showing it.

I completely disagree here. Teachers are by no means the only folks whose "success" depends on others. Almost every person in the business worlds success depends on others. Anyone that supervises someone ... they depend on their direct reports to get the job done ... and hence, they depend on their team for their success. For that matter, folks that do not supervise depend on co-workers to get the job done.

Take me for example. I work for myself. I am a orthodontist. I rely on my staff for everything. If they make a mistake ... my insurance pays for the error and I pay more in premiums (unless there are too many mistakes and then I'm shopping for new insurance) . If my front desk folks are lazy and don't answer the phones ... my kids don't eat. It is my job to keep them all trained properly and motivated to do well. If I don't ... I will be out of a job. Teachers should not get a free pass.

I realize their has to be a degree of standardization, but what is, in my mind, an overemphasis on these tests has handcuffed a teacher's ability to teach in the manner in which they are best suited, and thus makes them less effective as educators.

Quick question. The tests are asking questions of things that should have been learned at specific grade levels. Why would you test for less than that base of knowledge to see if a teacher or school has been successful?

Who are you, if you don't mind me asking?

Folks from Trousdale call me the "toof's fairy". :lol:

sounds like your school is the exception,

in my experience it is certainly not the norm.

if they do take handicapped kids,

then i will give them their due respect.

myself, i graduated 2 from public school.

1 from private.

admittedly it was d-2, not d-1...

and my kid was on academic scholarship.

i was very happy with the product,

but it was NOT, by any means, a similar population to public school.

sounds like your school is the exception,

in my experience it is certainly not the norm.

if they do take handicapped kids,

then i will give them their due respect.

myself, i graduated 2 from public school.

1 from private.

admittedly it was d-2, not d-1...

and my kid was on academic scholarship.

i was very happy with the product,

but it was NOT, by any means, a similar population to public school.

I also know that Trinity has a few handicapped kids, including a young lady who plays wheelchair basketball and a few with downs syndrome. If you agree in certain Biblical principles, then more than likely they are going to accept you. However, I do agree that the population isn't necessarily the same. Graduating from a small private school myself, I will admit that to some extent private school kids can be sheltered, but if a parent wants to do keep their kid from being influenced in certain ways, shouldn't they have that right?

In the end, it's a parents choice where they want their kids to go, and there can be several different reasons for putting them in a certain place. I have known people in Jackson who have moved to a certain zone so their kids could go to a different school for various reasons, i.e. a specific teacher, friends, academics, arts, etc. not just athletics.

I also know that Trinity has a few handicapped kids, including a young lady who plays wheelchair basketball and a few with downs syndrome. If you agree in certain Biblical principles, then more than likely they are going to accept you. However, I do agree that the population isn't necessarily the same. Graduating from a small private school myself, I will admit that to some extent private school kids can be sheltered, but if a parent wants to do keep their kid from being influenced in certain ways, shouldn't they have that right?

In the end, it's a parents choice where they want their kids to go, and there can be several different reasons for putting them in a certain place. I have known people in Jackson who have moved to a certain zone so their kids could go to a different school for various reasons, i.e. a specific teacher, friends, academics, arts, etc. not just athletics.

I also know that Trinity has a few handicapped kids, including a young lady who plays wheelchair basketball and a few with downs syndrome. If you agree in certain Biblical principles, then more than likely they are going to accept you.

This would be a more true statement....."If you have the money then more than likely they are gonna accept you".

VG (who tries to keep it real)

Edited by VolunteerGeneral

I can easily argue that going to a public school gives a kid the most rounded education available. At least it does here in Jackson. For one kids that go to private schools here have no real grasp with interacting with members of other races. The private schools here are predominantly white. So socially public schools are much better.

So will you explain to me how having a predominatly African American population in a school is more diverse than a predominatly white one? There's more to diversity than skin color, VG. The Jackson private school I went to was MUCH, MUCH more diverse than the public school I attended before. Before transferring, I had barely been around let alone had good friends that were Muslim, Hindu, Jewish, etc., etc. Check out the stands at a USJ ballgame sometime, and you'll probably see a lot more minorities than in years past.

BTW, I graduated with the Jackson president of NAACP's daughter.

So will you explain to me how having a predominatly African American population in a school is more diverse than a predominatly white one? There's more to diversity than skin color, VG. The Jackson private school I went to was MUCH, MUCH more diverse than the public school I attended before. Before transferring, I had barely been around let alone had good friends that were Muslim, Hindu, Jewish, etc., etc. Check out the stands at a USJ ballgame sometime, and you'll probably see a lot more minorities than in years past.

LOL...Muslim, Hindu and Jewish. Funny thing..there happens to be a lot of Muslim, Hindu, and Jewish doctors in Jackson.

Puhlease!!! Don`t even come on here and try to portray USJ as diverse. I graduated from there. Yeah there might be more minorities in the past, but no way is USJ more diverse than the publcschools.

VG (who is still laughing) :lol:

Oh that`s nice!

VG (who is looking around for some sort of medal for Kublah)

Just exactly how do you wish everyone to take that comment? I`m being VERY serious. What significance is the fact that you graduated with the daughter of the NAACP`s daughter? Do tell!