yes or no only

my2cents

Hillsboro is not a good example, a recent poll of graduation rates had them just over 50% unless I read the paper wrong, not too good. As to public vs private schools, all of the posts on this thread have a kernal of truth to them, none of the posts have the absolute truth. All the money in the world will not solve the school problem, public or private. Its gonna take the parents getting back in the job of raising their children, not leaving it to private or public school to do it for them, this is the one and only solution. Get involved in a big way and any school, public or private will start to improve, show the kids that their education is number one on your priority list and the sun will shine again on all schools.

Hillsboro is a great example ... especially when compared to Hillwood. B)

I agree with the rest of your statement though. It is one of the reasons why privates schools do have better grades, extracurriculars and etc ... because parents are participating in their kids lives - enough so that they pay for their kids to attend a place beyond what their tax dollars pay for.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, it's given teams in A a chance to win, but there is no competition. AA has been hurt by this alot. Publics should play publics and private should play privates is my opinion. All the little privates complain because they can't win with the big private schools like BA, MUS, and Baylor only with the public schools who don't have near the resources. This is my opinion of the topic.

If we didn't have anything to cry about...what would we talk about. My child has been in both public (metro) and private (GP), I pay tuition of 500.00 per month and pay taxes for any Davidson County kid in public. Our school plays both public and private. If there is recruiting....somebody better pay up, because my daughter has not received one red cent to go to a private school...we pay for everything!!!! Nor did anybody contact us to have her play at that school....we got tired of the poor educational/safety of our child in Metro Davidson County school system. Let's tear up and wa wa about poor little publics and big bad privates schools....and it isn't fair... PLEASE!!! Its the talent or lack there of of the players that make a TEAM sport successful... plus great coaching. GET OVER YOURSELVES, don't hate me because I can send my kid to private and you can't...I PAY TAXES FOR YOUR KIDS TO ATTEND PUBLIC AND GET ALL THEIR FREE STUFF. wa WA WA

• 5 weeks later...

If we didn't have anything to cry about...what would we talk about. My child has been in both public (metro) and private (GP), I pay tuition of 500.00 per month and pay taxes for any Davidson County kid in public. Our school plays both public and private. If there is recruiting....somebody better pay up, because my daughter has not received one red cent to go to a private school...we pay for everything!!!! Nor did anybody contact us to have her play at that school....we got tired of the poor educational/safety of our child in Metro Davidson County school system. Let's tear up and wa wa about poor little publics and big bad privates schools....and it isn't fair... PLEASE!!! Its the talent or lack there of of the players that make a TEAM sport successful... plus great coaching. GET OVER YOURSELVES, don't hate me because I can send my kid to private and you can't...I PAY TAXES FOR YOUR KIDS TO ATTEND PUBLIC AND GET ALL THEIR FREE STUFF. wa WA WA

Ditto on the statement about recruiting, my child must have missed that train, she plays sports, but we pay for everything. As to all the reasons that people send their children to private schools, there is one compelling reason that has not been addressed. The biggest and most important reason I send my child to Catholic schools is because it is a matter of my ardent desire for my child to learn how to live as a faithful Catholic Christian. I know that the parents are the primary examples of teaching this to their children, but give Father Ryan a big assist. If Father Ryan did not have sports, my child would still attend there. I don't believe that I am unique in this regard, I bet there are alot of other parents that feel the same. The results of attending Father Ryan have been most satisfactory. I am very impressed with how my child handles herself around others, respects others and respects herself, and how she knows her God, not to mention a fine education which has prompted her to continue her education in college. This is the primary reason I send my kids to a particular private school. I suspect there are many others who feel the same way. :unsure:

Ditto on the statement about recruiting, my child must have missed that train, she plays sports, but we pay for everything. As to all the reasons that people send their children to private schools, there is one compelling reason that has not been addressed. The biggest and most important reason I send my child to Catholic schools is because it is a matter of my ardent desire for my child to learn how to live as a faithful Catholic Christian. I know that the parents are the primary examples of teaching this to their children, but give Father Ryan a big assist. If Father Ryan did not have sports, my child would still attend there. I don't believe that I am unique in this regard, I bet there are alot of other parents that feel the same. The results of attending Father Ryan have been most satisfactory. I am very impressed with how my child handles herself around others, respects others and respects herself, and how she knows her God, not to mention a fine education which has prompted her to continue her education in college. This is the primary reason I send my kids to a particular private school. I suspect there are many others who feel the same way. :unsure:

Wow...I guess I`m just really lucky. Between myself and my church I`ve been able to raise my two kids with a very good and solid Christian background from which I feel confident has been a very strong foundation in which to start their adult lives without having to spend the thousands and thousands of dollars like you have had to do. I too am very impressed with the way my kids have handled themselves around each other and respects others and themselves. I`m just sorry to hear that you had to write all those big checks.

Not to be bragging but my kids have taken their solid Christian background and the knowledge of the importance to study instilled by two very loving parents and have attended public schools where they also got a much better education in life by being classmates with kids from all walks of life both socially and economically. I feel my public schools have better prepared them for the real world and how to interact with folks from all directions of life. That`s something that they can`t teach in private schools. Anyways, it was your tens of thousands of dollars for you to spend. I`m glad you are happy. I just happen to think I made the smarter investment.

Wow...I guess I`m just really lucky. Between myself and my church I`ve been able to raise my two kids with a very good and solid Christian background from which I feel confident has been a very strong foundation in which to start their adult lives without having to spend the thousands and thousands of dollars like you have had to do. I too am very impressed with the way my kids have handled themselves around each other and respects others and themselves. I`m just sorry to hear that you had to write all those big checks.

Not to be bragging but my kids have taken their solid Christian background and the knowledge of the importance to study instilled by two very loving parents and have attended public schools where they also got a much better education in life by being classmates with kids from all walks of life both socially and economically. I feel my public schools have better prepared them for the real world and how to interact with folks from all directions of life. That`s something that they can`t teach in private schools. Anyways, it was your tens of thousands of dollars for you to spend. I`m glad you are happy. I just happen to think I made the smarter investment.

VG,

I'm glad your kids did great at their school. And if you want to toss some of that extra mula my way... ;)

All of us are concerned for our kids...some of us decide one thing is best and others decide another way. But your statement "I feel my public schools have better prepared them for the real world and how to interact with folks from all directions of life. That`s something that they can`t teach in private schools." is completely unfounded. What 'real world' experiences do children in private schools not get?

I don't remember you being this aggressively anti-private...did something happen to you that ticked you off?

You can think what you want. Don't get the wrong impression, I would do it all over again gladly. I too have raised my kids in a good and solid Christian background, but I choose to send them to a school that builds the total person. You are flat wrong about stating that your kids got a better education, that is just your opinion and not a very good one. My kids also have been to school with kids from every walk of life and have been exposed to all facets of life with both children and adults through the volunteering program at Father Ryan. Don't feel sorry for me, I am way richer for having sent my kids to Ryan and would not hesitate for a second to do it again. There is a third factor that you may not understand, I sent my kids to Ryan because it is a matter of faith to me. For those that have faith, no explanation is necessary, for those who don't no explanation is possible. I believe that you fall into the first category, so what are we talking about. And by the way, I have never looked at my kids as an investment anyway, I just do what I and they believe is best for them. From my observations, I like what I see. I don't know who told you that you can't teach kids at private schools about all walks of life, it simply is not true. Father Ryan has rich, poor, black, white, latinos, european exchange students, and some more that I can't think of at this moment. So what are you talking about? You have been fed some bad infomation. This is my only response about this topic, because it just does not dignify a second response. I'll give you that your children are doing well and have been raised well, but you should do the same for my children and the children of other private schools. My children are extremely successful in all aspects of their lives. I couldn't ask for anything more and Father Ryan gets a big thank you and my prayers forever for their help and support through the years. I also will continue to support them as long as I live financially, I believe in what they do. ;)

Edited by fieldman

You can think what you want. Don't get the wrong impression, I would do it all over again gladly. I too have raised my kids in a good and solid Christian background, but I choose to send them to a school that builds the total person. You are flat wrong about stating that your kids got a better education, that is just your opinion and not a very good one. My kids also have been to school with kids from every walk of life and have been exposed to all facets of life with both children and adults through the volunteering program at Father Ryan. Don't feel sorry for me, I am way richer for having sent my kids to Ryan and would not hesitate for a second to do it again. There is a third factor that you may not understand, I sent my kids to Ryan because it is a matter of faith to me. For those that have faith, no explanation is necessary, for those who don't no explanation is possible. I believe that you fall into the first category, so what are we talking about. And by the way, I have never looked at my kids as an investment anyway, I just do what I and they believe is best for them. From my observations, I like what I see. I don't know who told you that you can't teach kids at private schools about all walks of life, it simply is not true. Father Ryan has rich, poor, black, white, latinos, european exchange students, and some more that I can't think of at this moment. So what are you talking about? You have been fed some bad infomation. This is my only response about this topic, because it just does not dignify a second response. I'll give you that your children are doing well and have been raised well, but you should do the same for me because my children are extremely successful in all aspects of their lives. I couldn't ask for anything more and Father Ryan gets a big thank you and my prayers forever for their help and support through the years. ;)

I think you guys may have the wrong impression of VG. He has children in public school but has always supported those who choose to send their kids to private schools and he is a graduate of the school that became USJ.

Just because a Christian school is the right choice for your kids doesn't mean it is the right choice for every child.

VG,

I'm glad your kids did great at their school. And if you want to toss some of that extra mula my way... ;)

All of us are concerned for our kids...some of us decide one thing is best and others decide another way. But your statement "I feel my public schools have better prepared them for the real world and how to interact with folks from all directions of life. That`s something that they can`t teach in private schools." is completely unfounded. What 'real world' experiences do children in private schools not get?

I don't remember you being this aggressively anti-private...did something happen to you that ticked you off?

Baldcoach..I`m not aggresively anti-private and don`t mean to come off that way. I support the right of people to have as many choices of schools as they can get. In fact my daughter is attending a magnet school. But, as a Christian, I have a hard time hearing folks say they send their kids to private schools for religious purposes or that it`s because there is no Christ in public schools. I know that kids can be raised as good Christians without having to go to a private school. It`s just my own opinion and observation that these folks are helping bring down public schools. Take a look around you. Public schools do need Christ and they need that Christian influence more than ever whether it be just through the presence of kids who try and live a Christ-like life, clubs, Young Life or whatever. I know my previous post probably offends some folks because they are doing and most likely sacrificing to do what they think is best for their child. But it`s a real shame when you to think of the MILLIONS of dollars that folks throw at private schools each year and then think what if they took that money and gave it to the public school system and how great our public schools could be.I`ll use this quote by Susan B Anthony once again because I think it really expresses how I feel....If all the rich and all of the church people should send their children to the public schools they would feel bound to concentrate their money on improving these schools until they met the highest ideals.

You can think what you want. Don't get the wrong impression, I would do it all over again gladly. I too have raised my kids in a good and solid Christian background, but I choose to send them to a school that builds the total person. You are flat wrong about stating that your kids got a better education, that is just your opinion and not a very good one. My kids also have been to school with kids from every walk of life and have been exposed to all facets of life with both children and adults through the volunteering program at Father Ryan. Don't feel sorry for me, I am way richer for having sent my kids to Ryan and would not hesitate for a second to do it again. There is a third factor that you may not understand, I sent my kids to Ryan because it is a matter of faith to me. For those that have faith, no explanation is necessary, for those who don't no explanation is possible. I believe that you fall into the first category, so what are we talking about. And by the way, I have never looked at my kids as an investment anyway, I just do what I and they believe is best for them. From my observations, I like what I see. I don't know who told you that you can't teach kids at private schools about all walks of life, it simply is not true. Father Ryan has rich, poor, black, white, latinos, european exchange students, and some more that I can't think of at this moment. So what are you talking about? You have been fed some bad infomation. This is my only response about this topic, because it just does not dignify a second response. I'll give you that your children are doing well and have been raised well, but you should do the same for my children and the children of other private schools. My children are extremely successful in all aspects of their lives. I couldn't ask for anything more and Father Ryan gets a big thank you and my prayers forever for their help and support through the years. I also will continue to support them as long as I live financially, I believe in what they do. :D

fieldman...I think more than anything the part of your post I was responding to was....

The results of attending Father Ryan have been most satisfactory. I am very impressed with how my child handles herself around others, respects others and respects herself, and how she knows her God, not to mention a fine education which has prompted her to continue her education in college. This is the primary reason I send my kids to a particular private school. I suspect there are many others who feel the same way

I just wanted you to recognize that you don`t have to send a kid to a private school to get those same results.It`s no telling how much money you have spent at Father Ryan. Do you ever wonder how much better you could make public schools if you and the rest of the FR parents put your time and efforts into public schools? I went to college and was good friends through my fraternity with several Father Ryan kids. They were very good kids, yet they were no better than socially or academically then the many public school kids that were there. There was nothing that made them stand out is what I mean. In fact they got drunk with the best of them. Tragically one of my Father Ryan friends lost his life in a car accident as the result of him drinking. It sounds like you have done a good job as a parent. But you have only led you kids to the water as have I. It`s now up to them to take a drink. But once they get to college it doesn`t really matter if they went to FR or a public school now does it? As to your comment about diversity...I`m not talking about rich or poor. I`m talking about kids that just don`t have that support from home. The ones who may have troubles making the right decisions. Private schools in general do not tolerate these kids who don`t act right. They just kick them out. So no....you can`t get that type of interaction at private schools. My kids have learned to deal with all types and to accept them for who they are. There are kids there that private schools wold kick out. There are kids there that couldn`t survive academically at a private school. So they are not dealing with the same type kids. I don`t know how many minorities are at FR, possibly more than at most private schools because it is a Catholic school But it doesn`t compare with the normal public school. . How many times did your kid invite say 7 kids over at your house at the same time and they were all of a different race.(african-american, lebanese, and Eastern European? But at most private schools there are maybe a handful of minorities. Trust me...that does not compare to the experience of a public school. And oh yeah my son was very good friends with Nebo an exchange student so again no need for me to spend money for that. My daughters school requires many hours of public service to graduate just like I`m sure is required at FR.

I look at education and I have said this many times on here that it`s a matter of perception. Here in Jackson there are many private schools for the size of our city. The general perception by many is that the public schools aren`t that good. That is why the private schools seem to flourish here. But in fact the publics are just as good as the private schools.

I think you guys may have the wrong impression of VG. He has children in public school but has always supported those who choose to send their kids to private schools and he is a graduate of the school that became USJ.

Just because a Christian school is the right choice for your kids doesn't mean it is the right choice for every child.

Thanks Bighurt. And again, I`m not trying to step on anyone`s toes. I`m just trying to bring in a different prospective to it. I respect everyones decision to do what they think is best for their kid, because in the end run whether its a public or a private school it`s the individual parental involvement that means the most.

fieldman...I think more than anything the part of your post I was responding to was....

I just wanted you to recognize that you don`t have to send a kid to a private school to get those same results.It`s no telling how much money you have spent at Father Ryan. Do you ever wonder how much better you could make public schools if you and the rest of the FR parents put your time and efforts into public schools? I went to college and was good friends through my fraternity with several Father Ryan kids. They were very good kids, yet they were no better than socially or academically then the many public school kids that were there. There was nothing that made them stand out is what I mean. In fact they got drunk with the best of them. Tragically one of my Father Ryan friends lost his life in a car accident as the result of him drinking. It sounds like you have done a good job as a parent. But you have only led you kids to the water as have I. It`s now up to them to take a drink. But once they get to college it doesn`t really matter if they went to FR or a public school now does it? As to your comment about diversity...I`m not talking about rich or poor. I`m talking about kids that just don`t have that support from home. The ones who may have troubles making the right decisions. Private schools in general do not tolerate these kids who don`t act right. They just kick them out. So no....you can`t get that type of interaction at private schools. My kids have learned to deal with all types and to accept them for who they are. There are kids there that private schools wold kick out. There are kids there that couldn`t survive academically at a private school. So they are not dealing with the same type kids. I don`t know how many minorities are at FR, possibly more than at most private schools because it is a Catholic school But it doesn`t compare with the normal public school. . How many times did your kid invite say 7 kids over at your house at the same time and they were all of a different race.(african-american, lebanese, and Eastern European? But at most private schools there are maybe a handful of minorities. Trust me...that does not compare to the experience of a public school. And oh yeah my son was very good friends with Nebo an exchange student so again no need for me to spend money for that. My daughters school requires many hours of public service to graduate just like I`m sure is required at FR.

I look at education and I have said this many times on here that it`s a matter of perception. Here in Jackson there are many private schools for the size of our city. The general perception by many is that the public schools aren`t that good. That is why the private schools seem to flourish here. But in fact the publics are just as good as the private schools.

You still do no understand what I said. I send my kids to Father Ryan as a matter of faith. Education is not just a matter of perception. And I'm sorry to say, but public schools just don't measure up in all aspects of education as well as the privates. Apparently test scores, percentage that go to college and numerous other categories that you would want your child to excell at is not a part of your reasoning. As to your Father Ryan friends that got drunk, what has that got to do with anything? Nobody said anything about private school students not doing things any other children do. You did not see me cite any things or acts that a puiblic school kid does. That is not what I am talking about. I believe that I am conversing with a person that has a hidden agenda. Your problem with what I said is about my personal statement that it is a matter of faith for me to send my child to Father Ryan as it is many people's convictions that send their children to whatever private school, or you simply can't understand what I am saying. And no the public schools do not have as many requirements to graduate as the privates, that is just a fact of life. Graduates from Father Ryan are in positions of leadership all over the city of Nashville and other places in the United States as well. The reason there are so many private schools in Jackson and every other place in the United States is not that there is just a perception that public schools don't for whatever reason do a good job, the fact is there is proven statistical facts to back it up. Not only that, all you have to do is look around and see that any school that graduates barely 50% of their students (nashville public schools) , something is wrong. As to contributing to public schools, I pay the taxes same as you. You are not going to convince me or anyone else that read these posts that public education is as good as private schools. I'll believe that when I see the evidence. By the way, some of my children have already graduated from college, have fine professions and are very dedicated to their work with every kind of people that is on the face of this earth, they are in the medical profession. There are some good public schools, just not enough. One other thing, Father Ryan does not just kick a kid out of school that misbehaves, they do everything possible to correct the situation and get the student back down the right road. But unlike the public schools, where students cuss teachers, and students are afaid to even go into the bathroom and where students act out many times over and over again, most private schools are not going to let disruptive behavior get in the way of their students getting the quality education they deserve. I know some public schools that I am familiar with that have just as good an education as the privates, they are just rare. But the difference for me is that I send my children to Father Ryan because I want the holistic approach that they utilize to educate. And I know that other parents that send their children to Goodpasture, BGA, CPA, and the list goes on and on are sending them there for many of the same reasons. No need to respond to this, this is absolutely the last time that I waste my time writing on a topic such as this. This is a dead horse for me. I am for all schools doing the very best jobs possible. And I have posted before, that unless the parents get involved in a big way in their children's lives, their education and everything else is going to suffer. And that goes for both public and private. We can no longer afford to trust someone else to take care of our children's problems, we have to be active at all times as well as the schools. One last thing, I haven't spent tens of thousands of dollars to send my kids to Father Ryan, as a matter of fact for services received, it was the best bargain of anything that I have ever spent money on. Have a good day. :D

Your kids sound like really good ones that I would definitely want mine to associate with.

The issue I think you have is that you don't believe private education is necessary while others do. Not everyone believes what Mother Theresa or whoever you quoted as being true.

From a hypothetical standpoint (but a true one for many parents with school-aged kids), lets say that they all decide to throw money at the public education issue. At the classroom level, there will still not be prayer, bible worship, etc. Beyond that, it would take years for the issues to be cleared up (if ever) in terms of offerings, class sizes, crime, etc. Let's say I have an incoming Freshman. It will easily take more than 4 years for any of those issues to every really be realized, let alone addressed. That means my Freshman child would "suffer" through while we work towards fixing the issues ... which again is caught up in red tape due to government issues, lawsuits, and teacher lobbies ... and may never be fixed no matter how good the intentions.

I think we all do agree on something. The public school system is broken. Otherwise, you wouldn't be quoting someone about fixing them..