You know, with all of the history in baseball happening this year (or the potential for, I should say), I went through my baseball cards. This is something I haven't done in close to five years. After about five hours of looking up the value's in Beckett's, I started to think about how popular baseball cards USED to be with kids and adults. I rarely ever see kids with baseball cards anymore, and even adults are hard to come by.

Anyway, I have two questions:

1. Are you and/or your kids (if any) still collecting?

2. What do you think happened to the popularity of baseball cards?

I can't really answer the second question myself. There are probably lots of reasons and I would bet that X Box would be the first one.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest dare_2_dream

You know, with all of the history in baseball happening this year (or the potential for, I should say), I went through my baseball cards. This is something I haven't done in close to five years. After about five hours of looking up the value's in Beckett's, I started to think about how popular baseball cards USED to be with kids and adults. I rarely ever see kids with baseball cards anymore, and even adults are hard to come by.

I can't really answer the second question myself. There are probably lots of reasons and I would bet that X Box would be the first one.

I still collect, and by collect I mean I still have my orginal collection that I have had for years. I havent bought any sports card in at least 4 years. I used to attend baseball card shows at the hotels in Murfreesboro but quit going to them. I think sports collecting in general has died down, not just cards. Video games might be responsible for some of it, but the players and leagues have some to do with it too. All the trades and injuries and what not, its hard to have a great collection of them due to all the changes that are made every year... I still have my Barry Sanders rookie card though :thumb:

Beckett doesnt tell you nothing, if you really want to know what your cards are worth go to http://www.naxcom.com/ and enter your card and see what people are paying for that particular card! :lol:

Beckett doesnt tell you nothing, if you really want to know what your cards are worth go to http://www.naxcom.com/ and enter your card and see what people are paying for that particular card! :thumb:

Thanks for that, gotmilk. I have actually been bidding on Albert Pujols rookie cards on ebay, and I can get them on this website for cheaper. I owe ya one! :lol:

Beckett doesnt tell you nothing, if you really want to know what your cards are worth go to http://www.naxcom.com/ and enter your card and see what people are paying for that particular card! :thumb:

Yeah,thanks for that link gotmilk.I've still got most of mine from when I was a kid & I've been looking from time to time for a site to check their value. My 7 year old son is buying them now on occasion.(Finally got him off the Yu-Gi-Oh cards & over to sports cards!)I'm gonna save mine for him like I wish my dad could have done for me.My grandma threw a bunch away while cleaning years & years ago & he swears he had a Mickey Mantle rookie. Don't they all say that? :)

It's funny,I found a big trunk FULL of baseball,basketball & football cards and almost ALL my football cards have two little green magic marker dots on them,(about half on the front) that I put there to mark them as mine when I was a kid.Ruined them all. :ph34r::D

THE SQUAD :)

Edited by THE SQUAD

Guest dare_2_dream

Yeah,thanks for that link gotmilk.I've still got most of mine from when I was a kid & I've been looking from time to time for a site to check their value. My 7 year old son is buying them now on occasion.(Finally got him off the Yu-Gi-Oh cards & over to sports cards!)I'm gonna save mine for him like I wish my dad could have done for me.My grandma threw a bunch away while cleaning years & years ago & he swears he had a Mickey Mantle rookie. Don't they all say that? :thumb:

It's funny,I found a big trunk FULL of baseball,basketball & football cards and almost ALL my football cards have two little green magic marker dots on them,(about half on the front) that I put there to mark them as mine when I was a kid.Ruined them all. :angry::D

THE SQUAD :)

Since when did you have kids? :blink: ... Anyways, well I bet YOUR cards wont ever be mistaken for...

Guest dare_2_dream

About 2 weeks now.Just bought him on the black market.Got him for cheap too. :thumb:

And you're right,those little green dots DO come in handy now....

THE SQUAD :blink:

I never thought you had kids, guess I thought you were too young to have them? :angry: