• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah.....I remember when my grandmother died that I tore every piece of insulation out of her attic looking for my dad's old cards. He grew up in the golden age of baseball cards and she swore until the day she died they were up there. Alas, no luck. No Mantle rookie cards were found. :thumb:

You know, with all of the history in baseball happening this year (or the potential for, I should say), I went through my baseball cards. This is something I haven't done in close to five years. After about five hours of looking up the value's in Beckett's, I started to think about how popular baseball cards USED to be with kids and adults. I rarely ever see kids with baseball cards anymore, and even adults are hard to come by.

Anyway, I have two questions:

1. Are you and/or your kids (if any) still collecting?

2. What do you think happened to the popularity of baseball cards?

I can't really answer the second question myself. There are probably lots of reasons and I would bet that X Box would be the first one.

My kid just got into collecting baseball cards. I thought it would help him enjoy the game more if he started collecting cards and picked out a favorite player to follow. Now I just sort of buy cards that I think he might want to have when he gets older like a LeBron rookie card. I think card collecting went down when all these companies started putting $500.00 autographed cards in every 200,000th pack and jacked the price of a pack up to 3 bucks for 6 cards. Most of my old cards are worthless now. I still got my Bo Jackson Memphis Chicks card that I estimated would be worth 1 million dollars by now, but I think I need a different retirment plan.

Card collecting is so different nowadays. I mean back in the day there were Topp`s cards and very little else. Now it seems like there is a gazillion different companies making them.

I can remember when I was a little kid if I got a dime I would ride my bike about a mile and half (one way) to the TG&Y dime store just to buy one pack of Topps Baseball cards, a ten pack with the most horrible tasting gum you ever put in your mouth. But that didn`t matter. I`d always throw it in my mouth while I looked through my cards with great anticipation. Back then there was only one game a week on Saturday afternoons. It was NBC`s ganme of the week. Curt Gowdy and Tony Kubek were the announcers. When it was on you truly sat and watched a baseball game. Nowadays we are saturated with games and endless highlights and it`s easy to take for granted the game itself.