Class 3A: Region 7 Favorites

CoachT

Region 4AA Tournament  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Region 4AA Tournament

It's hard to say where the greatest amount of exaggeration occurs in life. Some would vote for used car dealers, some would vote for grandmothers describing their grandkids. I might go with sports fans in the off-season--along with their stop watches and scales.

I have been around Dyersburg football for 35 years, coaching, scouting, keeping stats, have missed one game in the past 12 years. Here are some bits of information:

* Dyersburg has no one who runs a 4.3 or a 4.4 (And neither does anyone else in West Tennessee outside Memphis, I would wager.) Caldwell and Taylor are fast enough that they don't get caught--most accurate guess is 4.55 to 4.6. Taylor is 5'7" and about 150; Caldwell is between 5'11" and 6'0" and weighs between 175-180. Both are headed into their junior years, and both are top-notch players.

* Corey Tettleton is just over 6'0" and weighs about 260. He does not run a 4.6, and Dyersburg has never had an offensive lineman that fast, and, again, I doubt if

anyone else in West Tennessee has. Watkins, who graduated at Haywood was a DE who would have come closest. Tettleton's height will be his problem when it comes to college offensive line play. He has also had two knee surgeries. We have our fingers crossed for him. Beasley is hopefully headed into a good senior year. He lost virtually the entire season last year with his knee injury. Tyler

Childress is a good one, but if he weighs 240, he has had a most awesome off-season. He played at 200-205 last year.

* Dyersburg should have a very good offensive line and some real breakaway threats in the backfield. All but one (Nick Newsome) of a good group of receivers graduated. The defensive line should be much improved, so should linebacking, but the defensive secondary will be the issue.

7 3-A appears to be loaded. The bottom teams--Obion Central and Dyer County should be much improved. Dyersburg, Covington, Haywood, and Crockett County should be near the same level they were last year. Ripley is the

real league question mark. There may be better teams in some of the other regions of 3-A, but, top-to-bottom, it will be hard to match the balance of Region 7.

i assume above to be wallace m.............ref tyler c, that information came from your buddy (coach b from the great state of mo) and he has never been known to exaggerate.....maybe vote for a used car salesmen...but never exaggerate…

did the head coach leave from oc? if so, then i change my prediction and will put them out of the top 4.....

wallace c....lets here your prediction, for the sake of discussion.:rolleyes:

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i assume above to be wallace m.............ref tyler c, that information came from your buddy (coach b from the great state of mo) and he has never been known to exaggerate.....maybe vote for a used car salesmen...but never exaggerate…

did the head coach leave from oc? if so, then i change my prediction and will put them out of the top 4.....

Exaggeration is not even in his vocabulary! (To be honest, I looked at Childress the other day and I think he may be 215-220, plenty big enough to get the job done.) He was a pleasant surprise last year and much more is expected. I think Hudson is a real sleeper. He could be dominating.

I really hate to do predicting this far ahead in a situation in which one or two key injuries can turn everything around. I never pick against Counce or Dyersburg, but the Trojans do have to play Crockett County, Haywood, and Covington on the road this year, and I think our secondary got exposed at the end of last season.

But since others are predicting, here goes:

1. Dyersburg

2. Covington

3. Haywood

4. Obion Central

5. Crockett County

6. Ripley

7. Dyer County

....and it is very possible there is not a bad ball club in the bunch.

Exaggeration is not even in his vocabulary! (To be honest, I looked at Childress the other day and I think he may be 215-220, plenty big enough to get the job done.) He was a pleasant surprise last year and much more is expected. I think Hudson is a real sleeper. He could be dominating.

I really hate to do predicting this far ahead in a situation in which one or two key injuries can turn everything around. I never pick against Counce or Dyersburg, but the Trojans do have to play Crockett County, Haywood, and Covington on the road this year, and I think our secondary got exposed at the end of last season.

But since others are predicting, here goes:

1. Dyersburg

2. Covington

3. Haywood

4. Obion Central

5. Crockett County

6. Ripley

7. Dyer County

....and it is very possible there is not a bad ball club in the bunch.

well mg it looks like there is a guru who knows more about dyersburg than you lol im very impressed though.... you two sure know dyersburg. as an out sider looking in i didnt think they were that fast but the other school in the same county sure thinks that because thats all the talk going around.. would you rank the line that dyersburg has comming this year in the same class with the line of the late 90's that was a strong point in dyersburgs teams..... the youth on defense last season was impressive as well.. how will the d line look next year... and in my earlier post i mentioned oc being shaky they are a great team i was talking about all the changes that was being made the qb at obion is a possiable all state pick.... tedalton at dyersburg is very impressive on the weights i had a chance to see him at the covington invatational weight meet.... i believe ripley will suprise alot of people this season. what about the changes at dyer county with baker leaving and going to crockett and armstrong hanging up the wistle for a admin job how do you think they will be next season.... i like the way you picked not a bad move or better put as a wise choice :rolleyes:

Darren Bowling has not left Obion Central....

Obviously you people don't know the right team to vote for as the favorite! Must I remind you Dyersburg did win the region last year. And by the way they were undefeated as they traveled on there road to beating Crockett, Covington, Haywood, and those other lack luster programs! There offensive line is massive and there quaterback and starting running back are a duo that will run thru and trample all the teams they face in this region!

Dyersburg was good last year,but they weren't the dominating force you seem to think they were....Case in point:1st round of the playoffs.......

I saw all the region teams last year and to be honest,Haywood,Crockett and Covington were more talented...I guess you could say the Trojans were better coached than those clubs....And Dyersburg did get some very fortunate bounces and breaks..It's hard to do that two years in a row....

My post was mainly in response to a guy on page 1 who said they were running 4.3's and 4.4's which is just not believeable. BTW, I read a rivals article on J.T. Beasley, and he seems like a great student athlete. I saw where he already has MTSU and Miss. St. offers which is great at this early stage.

I read the article on Beasley also, it looks like he is having a great camp tour too.

Dyersburg was good last year,but they weren't the dominating force you seem to think they were....Case in point:1st round of the playoffs.......

I saw all the region teams last year and to be honest,Haywood,Crockett and Covington were more talented...I guess you could say the Trojans were better coached than those clubs....And Dyersburg did get some very fortunate bounces and breaks..It's hard to do that two years in a row....

my blood runs orange but you have to give credit were it is due i think oc is a good fourth place team but talent or no talet dyersburg still won the region last year and to do that and go undefeated they were doing somthing right. you might ask mg but i do believe dyersburg has one the region they have played in like 4 times in the last ten years whats oc record with region titles

Edited by high school sports fan

well mg it looks like there is a guru who knows more about dyersburg than you lol im very impressed though.... you two sure know dyersburg. as an out sider looking in i didnt think they were that fast but the other school in the same county sure thinks that because thats all the talk going around.. would you rank the line that dyersburg has comming this year in the same class with the line of the late 90's that was a strong point in dyersburgs teams..... the youth on defense last season was impressive as well.. how will the d line look next year... and in my earlier post i mentioned oc being shaky they are a great team i was talking about all the changes that was being made the qb at obion is a possiable all state pick.... tedalton at dyersburg is very impressive on the weights i had a chance to see him at the covington invatational weight meet.... i believe ripley will suprise alot of people this season. what about the changes at dyer county with baker leaving and going to crockett and armstrong hanging up the wistle for a admin job how do you think they will be next season.... i like the way you picked not a bad move or better put as a wise choice :rolleyes:

there is not another person that is as knowledgeable about this region as is wallace m....he is the guru no doubt and when he speaks.....most listen......i know he is 90% always right on the money about game strategy and how the mactch'up ( + vs -) compare.......

This region is loaded. Will probably be one of the toughest to predict.

That said, I'll take Crockett County as the region champs. They're more loaded than people will give them credit for going into the season.

And Dyersburg will be really good again, but remember how many games they won last year by the skin of their teeth.

I've been hearing that people in Covington believe (not the coaches mind you) that they'll have the best team they've had there in years. And that's saying something.

I'm also on the Obion Central bandwagon. Darren Bowling is unquestionably (in my mind anyway) one of the best coaches in WTN.

Like others have said, there will be some good teams missing the playoffs in this region.

QUOTE(high school sports fan @ Jun 22 2006 - 12:06 PM)

my blood runs orange but you have to give credit were it is due i think oc is a good fourth place team but talent or no talet dyersburg still won the region last year and to do that and go undefeated they were doing somthing right. you might ask mg but i do believe dyersburg has one the region they have played in like 4 times in the last ten years whats oc record with region titles

I didn't say they weren't good....You are right to go 10-0,you have to be doing something right....Dyersburg had talent,but in my opinion,not the best in the region,so,like I said,it must have been better coaching..And 10-0 or 5-5,they got some breaks,in which you have to have agree.....

And to be 4th in this region would be no slouch..Being 4th in this region would put you at the top of any other region in our area....

Obviously you people don't know the right team to vote for as the favorite! Must I remind you Dyersburg did win the region last year. And by the way they were undefeated as they traveled on there road to beating Crockett, Covington, Haywood, and those other lack luster programs! There offensive line is massive and there quaterback and starting running back are a duo that will run thru and trample all the teams they face in this region!

And by the way...Dyersburg played Crockett Co,Haywood Co and Covington..AT HOME...Not on the road.....And WILL have to play them on the road this year....

This region is to hard to predict. Everyone has made good points. I will say that Dyer County has more talent across the board than they have ever had. If they do not make some noise this year, someone needs to be fired. I also will say as long as James Counce is in Dyersburg, I will not pick against them. Also, keep your eye on Mr Hudson the massive lineman at Dyersburg. He will go D1 (UT) :thumb: