Class 3A: Region 7 Favorites

CoachT

Region 4AA Tournament  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Region 4AA Tournament

This region is to hard to predict. Everyone has made good points. I will say that Dyer County has more talent across the board than they have ever had. If they do not make some noise this year, someone needs to be fired. I also will say as long as James Counce is in Dyersburg, I will not pick against them. Also, keep your eye on Mr Hudson the massive lineman at Dyersburg. He will go D1 (UT) :thumb:

Your probably right about DC...But that's the problem with this region..Teams like DC,OC and Ripley could have really good teams and end up 6-4 or 5-5...Then the problem with the playoff system is that more than likely the teams from this region will beat the Memphis region and have to go at each other all over again....That's why I wish the T.$.$.A.A. would do something different with the playoff schedule....

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This region is loaded. Will probably be one of the toughest to predict.

That said, I'll take Crockett County as the region champs. They're more loaded than people will give them credit for going into the season.

And Dyersburg will be really good again, but remember how many games they won last year by the skin of their teeth.

I've been hearing that people in Covington believe (not the coaches mind you) that they'll have the best team they've had there in years. And that's saying something.

I'm also on the Obion Central bandwagon. Darren Bowling is unquestionably (in my mind anyway) one of the best coaches in WTN.

Like others have said, there will be some good teams missing the playoffs in this region.

I'd like to correct one thing which I wrote in my previous post about Dyersburg football, player times and sizes.

I wrote that OL Cody Tettleton, who will be a senior this fall, had been through two knee operations. That is not correct. There has been one knee operation and that was two years ago. Cody is at 6 feet, 3/4 inch and 260 pounds. I saw the stats today and they seem to be from yesterday's workout weighins. His latest time in the 40 is 4.9, which he has reached many times and which is top notch for an offensive linemen.

Offensive line should be a strength of this year's Dyersburg team, and Cody is going to be a big part of it.

I agree with most of those posting here about the toughness of 7 3-A. Last year, the 7 teams in the region lost very few games outside their own region,

and most teams will be improved.

beasley also runs a 4.9

he not as fast as tedelton ,, nore as strong as he is.. jt is tall and is a freakin brain thats the main reasons ive herd he is being recruited so hard but you know how we county people are!!!!! im not taking anything from eather kid both are awsome and we at dc would love to have them but if i was lining up aginst either of them i would wontit to beasley. did beasley really make a 32 on his act? boo tedalton is a beast way to go dyersburg

I'd like to correct one thing which I wrote in my previous post about Dyersburg football, player times and sizes.

I wrote that OL Cody Tettleton, who will be a senior this fall, had been through two knee operations. That is not correct. There has been one knee operation and that was two years ago. Cody is at 6 feet, 3/4 inch and 260 pounds. I saw the stats today and they seem to be from yesterday's workout weighins. His latest time in the 40 is 4.9, which he has reached many times and which is top notch for an offensive linemen.

Offensive line should be a strength of this year's Dyersburg team, and Cody is going to be a big part of it.

I agree with most of those posting here about the toughness of 7 3-A. Last year, the 7 teams in the region lost very few games outside their own region,

and most teams will be improved.

One indicator of the strength of a region is its record against schools OUTSIDE its region. Most high schools in Tennessee will play 6 regional games and 4 games against outside opponents during the 10 game regular season.

Last year, Region 7 3-A teams played 42 regional games (7 x 6) and 27 games outside the region (...instead of 28. The Milan-Crockett County game was suspended at half and never completed.)

What was the Region 7-A record outside the region? 22 wins, 5 losses. Five of the 7 Region 7 3-A teams did not lose any games outside the region (19-0).

Haywood lost 2 games outside the region--to playoff teams Sheffield (lost by 9) and 4A power JCM (lost by 15.) Obion Central lost 3 extra-regional games by a total of 5 points: to Dresden by 3, to Gibson County by 1, and by Chester County by 1.

By comparison, Region 2, which produced the state champion in Livingston Academy, had an 18-8 record beyond their region, with one school, Knox Catholic, going undefeated in extra-regional play.

Region 6 3-A teams had a composite 13-14 record outside the region, and had one team (Lexington) go undefeated in extra-regional play.

Of course, no comparisons can finally prove anything in football. We all know that; however, records against schools outside their region are often used in comparing teams.

Crockett County CAVS.

THE SQUAD :lol:

dyersburg and covington are better coached one of them will win the region... any team that relies on the wing t is lacking in offense. when you have got to use trickery to try to score its not a powerhouse offiense and dyersburg and covington have great d-fence who can read the wing t .... all you have to do to beat crockett is THROW THE BALL,,, AND STOP THE RUN,,,crockett cant throw the ball very well

dyersburg and covington are better coached one of them will win the region... any team that relies on the wing t is lacking in offense. when you have got to use trickery to try to score its not a powerhouse offiense and dyersburg and covington have great d-fence who can read the wing t .... all you have to do to beat crockett is THROW THE BALL,,, AND STOP THE RUN,,,crockett cant throw the ball very well

That's a really badly informed statement. I think Crockett County has done just fine running from the double wing over the last several years.

05: 29.4 PPG (with their starting QB out most of the season)

04: 26.8 PPG

03: 36.7 PPG

02: 34.9 PPG

01: 27.3 PPG

Yep...looks like a team lacking in offense to me.

That's a really badly informed statement. I think Crockett County has done just fine running from the double wing over the last several years.

05: 29.4 PPG (with their starting QB out most of the season)

04: 26.8 PPG

03: 36.7 PPG

02: 34.9 PPG

01: 27.3 PPG

Yep...looks like a team lacking in offense to me.

And P.A. Pratt is a fine coach.....He has turned that program into a state contender from a perennial doormat....

I would say maybe Haywood would be lacking in that area...I KNOW most coaches in this region only wish to have the talent that squad has...

One indicator of the strength of a region is its record against schools OUTSIDE its region. Most high schools in Tennessee will play 6 regional games and 4 games against outside opponents during the 10 game regular season.

Last year, Region 7 3-A teams played 42 regional games (7 x 6) and 27 games outside the region (...instead of 28. The Milan-Crockett County game was suspended at half and never completed.)

What was the Region 7-A record outside the region? 22 wins, 5 losses. Five of the 7 Region 7 3-A teams did not lose any games outside the region (19-0).

Haywood lost 2 games outside the region--to playoff teams Sheffield (lost by 9) and 4A power JCM (lost by 15.) Obion Central lost 3 extra-regional games by a total of 5 points: to Dresden by 3, to Gibson County by 1, and by Chester County by 1.

By comparison, Region 2, which produced the state champion in Livingston Academy, had an 18-8 record beyond their region, with one school, Knox Catholic, going undefeated in extra-regional play.

Region 6 3-A teams had a composite 13-14 record outside the region, and had one team (Lexington) go undefeated in extra-regional play.

Of course, no comparisons can finally prove anything in football. We all know that; however, records against schools outside their region are often used in comparing teams.

‘Tis true, out of region records can be somewhat indicative of the strength of a particular region…but it can also prove to indicate the weakness of a particular area (i.e. west, middle or east) and disparity in strength of competition, which I think is the case in the comparison between Region 7 and 2-3A. When comparing out of region games and records you may not be comparing “apples to apples.”

The stats may be valid, but are they reliable for our comparison. I say no.

First, let’s start with the obvious; “Strength of Schedule + Success rating”

Last year, Region 2 had six teams in the top 20 according to SS+S vs. three for Region 7.

Region 2 had a SS+S avg. of 1.17 vs. 1.13 for Region 7.

Next, let’s look at the not so obvious; you’re “Out of Region records”

Yes, Region 7 did appear to have great success versus non-regional opponents, but was this not a reflection of the inadequacies of the area.

If you evaluate the out of region games for Region 2 and 7 you will see a large disparity in two categories: combined overall record of non-region opponents and opponents over .500 (IMO this would indicate overall opponent strength)

- The combined record of non-region opponents for Region 2 was 174-139 or .556 vs. the 111-191 or .367 for Region 7…almost a 200 point disparity.

- Also, Region 2 played 14 non-region opponents with records over .500 vs. 5 for Region 7.

Furthermore, in the last 5 years, Region 2 has represented the east side of the bracket every single year…winning the title 4 times during that span.