Db vs South

readnoevil

Hey maroonandgray,

I wish I could tell you we've got that kind of back, truth is we don't right now. The two we have starting can carry the mail, but they're not shredders, more like plodders. They can move the chains, but the threat of scoring from anywhere on the field is not there right now. This OR team lost 28 seniors, just like your team last year. Believe me, I'm not whining, that's just football. But we are so young right now, this team could go either way. Coach Stevens is trying to tell anyone who will listen that we'll be pretty good in 6-8 weeks. I think he's trying to say if we peak at the right time, we could make a run. But for me, the realistic goal for this team is try to win the region and go from there. I know it's early, but I think you guys have a good shot for a serious run.

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:) Well Done DB, My hat is off to you guys. Great Game. No one would listen to me when I said you were gonna whoopem. I kept telling everyone South didnt have the same team as last year and 1 player does not make a team. You shutem down and up from what I see. Good luck to you. We are off to do the same to the Falcons down in churchhill tonite.

It would be hard to say this is the best db team since ___ because db has had some really awesome teams in recent history the 02 team shouldve gone to the state championship after having 3 times as many offensive yards against riverdale in the semi-finals, the 00 team was really good and probably wouldve gone to the state championship game if it hadnt been a monsoon at red bank, the 01 team of course went undefeated in the regular season, the 03 team was extremely talented but couldnt do anything in the 2nd half of the quarterfinal game against OR, and the 04 team went undefeated in the regular season but couldnt find their offense against OR that year in the quarters... so the only thing I could say without a doubt is that its the best team since 04... seeing if this teams better than the other teams mentioned will have to wait till we see what they do the rest of the season...

drdb2, yeah I see what your saying, I was really just wondering how excited you guys are about this team, and what the expectations for them are. I know you are shooting for championships. I'll tell you this much, I would be very excited at the possibiliies for this team if I were a tribe fan. They looked great against South.

I saw where Maryville had a transfer named Clendenon, any relation to what was it B.J. Clendenon, that guy wore us out. Is Salyer ok, I saw him go down, hope it's not a knee.

The info I got on Salyer was the injury was between the knee and the ankle. If true, then he should be ok.

I think the 2000 team has been the best at DB so far. I can tell you more about this team after we play you guys. 4A teams in this area are usually pretty weak, so we can't tell much from the games we have played.

ps: just thru in that last statement to to get the South fans "riled - up"

Everyone in the region was hoping to see a great game when both teams showed their A-game. It didn't happen.....not close. When South lost their starting center 2 days before the game, South players and fans hoped for the best. Well, all that could go wrong early did and it went down hill from there. Football is a game of momentum and things can get out of hand in a hurry.

Make no mistake, it's clear that the best team won, but South got struck by lightning three times and never showed the ability to bounce back or adjust. Not a good thing.

One game does not a season, player or coach make.

South will regroup, heal, learn and improve.

Those in the area who know football know what they can do. Tonight didn't reflect it. It does look like depth could be a problem, particularly if the RB's Fletcher and Collins have significant injuries.

Congrats to DB on a most impressive showing.

Good luck to both programs. Our region hopes both improve and represent us in Murfreesboro.

...South fans fell into a Mental trap because of last year's ballgame. DB lost starting QB (McCord) in the first series of play. Even with that, DB sould have been ahead by two scores at the half. A wide open WR in the end zone caught a pass and tried to stay in bounds on a ball that floated out wide. His toes were 4 inches out. He was wide open. Cody Sensabaugh caught a long pass and scored. He was ruled down 6 inches short. Game replays later showed he scored, but DB fumbled the snap and lost the ball on the next play. DB easily could have been ahead by two touchdowns. DB's defense contained South until Phillips ran the one long touchdown. From there, South had and kept the momentum. They had their chance to Upset DB in the 4th quarter. DB CAUSED the turnovers in the 4th to escape with victory. South left that game saying shoulda, woulda, coulda; but did not capitolized. Last year's offense was struggling all through fall camp; even before McCord went down, and then had to adjust even more. Because of the near upset last year, and the success South had in the MLC, the expectations laid a Mental Trap about this year's game. This year's DB team is deep and talented at all positions. Both offense and defense are ahead of last year, and will continue to get better. This is a strong and experienced senior group. One note about the loss of South's center. It caused major problems early. The coaches should have moved Phillips up under center and controlled those snaps better. Your coaches let you down last night. No adjustments. Oh, and DB lost it's center in the 1st qt last night too.

Good Luck the rest of the year. You don't have to like us; but you should respect the level that the DB program is at. Playing us will only make you better if you learn from it!!

Edited by TnRiverRat

Im just confirming that Salyer is perfect and ready to go, so no worries people he is fine. Also I'd like to add that this DB team is very talented but who knows how far they will go...it's just something that only time can answer.

Im just confirming that Salyer is perfect and ready to go, so no worries people he is fine. Also I'd like to add that this DB team is very talented but who knows how far they will go...it's just a question that time will answer.

Trevor Salyer being 100% is really big.. for him and for the Team. Trevor is starting Center, Senior, Solid Young Man, with fire and passion for the Team. I have known him since he was 5 yrs old, and I am very proud to say the Trevor was on the very first Baseball Team I ever coached. ..7-8 yr old Braves *Pitching Machine League*Kingsport Parks an Rec.* He played 3rd base when he was 8, all year. Trevor has a great Mom and Dad! and he works after school at a Grocery Store!!

No cream puffs on this Indians Team!

Good to Great

Roll Tribe Roll

Giddy Up!!

DB are the Kings of Kingsport. They beat South.

But it is kinda funny to read all these posts about

how great this DB team is and the comparisons

with past "great" DB teams.

One can understand the excitement, but the

reality is winning the region, winning in the

playoffs, and winning in Murfreesboro. When

was the last time DB gave 23 points to a team

in the first quarter and won the game?

I'm searching for perspective. Why haven't

I seen any of these intelligent DB fans post

how easy South made it for their team in

the first quarter?

If the first quarter didn't really matter, please

spot South 23 points next year.

Edited by StanTrott

DB are the Kings of Kingsport. They beat South.

But it is kinda funny to read all these posts about

how great this DB team is and the comparisons

with past "great" DB teams.

One can understand the excitement, but the

reality is winning the region, winning in the

playoffs, and winning in Murfreesboro. When

was the last time DB gave 23 points to a team

in the first quarter and won the game?

I'm searching for perspective. Why haven't

I seen any of these intelligent DB fans post

how easy South made it for their team in

the first quarter?

If the first quarter didn't really matter, please

spot South 23 points next year.

OK, Stan, not sure exactly what your point is, but I'll admit that first quarters matter. If you want a DB fan's perspective it didn't have anything to do with how "easy" South made it for D-B but how hard the Indians made it for the Rebels. This was no inexperienced South squad, but a highly touted offensive machine with a D-1 prospect in the driver's seat. Check the previous posts and the Johnson City Press and tell me I'm wrong. Did South have to adjust with a new center? Sure, but they had at least a couple of days of practice to do that and D-B had to make the same adjustment during the game. This game was about respect - the Indians didn't have it before this game, they do now. While you can't make comparisons to other teams in the past yet, I do think this one understands that it has to earn that respect every week.

A personal viewpoint and I suspect most of the Indian fans feel this way - South is a better team than Thursday's score indicates and the Indians were the beneficiary of some tremendous momentum they created early in that game. With only two games under their belt against quality 4A opponents - they are good, very good - they are not great, yet, but they are on the right path!

Roll Tribe!

OK, Stan, not sure exactly what your point is, but I'll admit that first quarters matter. If you want a DB fan's perspective it didn't have anything to do with how "easy" South made it for D-B but how hard the Indians made it for the Rebels. This was no inexperienced South squad, but a highly touted offensive machine with a D-1 prospect in the driver's seat. Check the previous posts and the Johnson City Press and tell me I'm wrong. Did South have to adjust with a new center? Sure, but they had at least a couple of days of practice to do that and D-B had to make the same adjustment during the game. This game was about respect - the Indians didn't have it before this game, they do now. While you can't make comparisons to other teams in the past yet, I do think this one understands that it has to earn that respect every week.

A personal viewpoint and I suspect most of the Indian fans feel this way - South is a better team than Thursday's score indicates and the Indians were the beneficiary of some tremendous momentum they created early in that game. With only two games under their belt against quality 4A opponents - they are good, very good - they are not great, yet, but they are on the right path!

Roll Tribe!

Great post. :o