Ravenwood rumor of early in pads?

There was no "honest mistake" to it. Come on, this is not his first year as head coach.

Did he misunderstand the rules the previous years when he was head coach, or when Jack Daniels was head coach and he was his assistant?

No other coaches thought it was wrong?

Did he ask any other area coaches he knows about what they were doing?

Nah, didn't think so. He tried to get away with something and didn't think he'd get caught.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was no "honest mistake" to it. Come on, this is not his first year as head coach.

Did he misunderstand the rules the previous years when he was head coach, or when Jack Daniels was head coach and he was his assistant?

No other coaches thought it was wrong?

Did he ask any other area coaches he knows about what they were doing?

Nah, didn't think so. He tried to get away with something and didn't think he'd get caught.

I watched the "practices" when RHS was in shoulder pads, and have been around High School Football for a long time, these practices were no different than what other teams did (with the exception of wearin shoulder pads) there was no hitting of any sort. Plus anyone who has played much football can tell you that you can't do much hitting in shoulder pads alone, too many people go low. In addition what smart coach (Brian Rector is one of the smartest) would knowingly put his team in jeopardy (in clear view of a busy road within 5 miles of 3 different region schools and 2 non region) with something so small as wearing just shoulder pads. He wasn't lying when he claimed ignorance, maybe they did it different in Kentucky where he had coached.

I watched the "practices" when RHS was in shoulder pads, and have been around High School Football for a long time, these practices were no different than what other teams did (with the exception of wearin shoulder pads) there was no hitting of any sort. Plus anyone who has played much football can tell you that you can't do much hitting in shoulder pads alone, too many people go low. In addition what smart coach (Brian Rector is one of the smartest) would knowingly put his team in jeopardy (in clear view of a busy road within 5 miles of 3 different region schools and 2 non region) with something so small as wearing just shoulder pads. He wasn't lying when he claimed ignorance, maybe they did it different in Kentucky where he had coached.

Copied directly from the TSSAA handbook:

1. Football -- The first practice date in pads is Monday of the week of August 1; the date of the first contest is no earlier than Wednesday before the last full week of August; the maximum number of regular season contests is 10 games, although schools that do not qualify for the fall play-off series may schedule an additional game for a total of 11 games; a maximum of 10 days of off-season practice within a 15 consecutive school day period and two interschool scrimmages is permitted; in the summer, no practice in pads is permitted and there is a maximum of 10 days of school-against- school competition (exception -- There is a two-week dead period the week preceding the Fourth of July and the week of the Fourth of July.).

You either have to be 1) outright stupid or 2) blatently disreguard the rule in place to not figure out that "shoulder pads" qualify as "pads". Being as that I followed the Ravenwood program somewhat closely when I live in Williamson Co, I know that Coach Rector isn't stupid. However, based on decisions and punishments he has made in the past involving his players, I am very surprised and disappointed he would let something like this happen.

Unfortunate, yes. Mistake, yes. Honest mistake, NO. SHOOTME....why would you think it is O.K. to disregard the rules even if "it is no different than what other schools" are doing. If you have been around high school football for years you should understand the need to do things right. I'm sure there is no competitive advantage to what was done and I'm sure they thought it would be overlooked and nothing would come of it but I think they should feel lucky to get off as easily as they did. I'm surprised a fine is not involved and at least a one game suspension for Rector. "Toto....you're not in Kansas...er...Kentucky a longer".

Copied directly from the TSSAA handbook:

You either have to be 1) outright stupid or 2) blatently disreguard the rule in place to not figure out that "shoulder pads" qualify as "pads". Being as that I followed the Ravenwood program somewhat closely when I live in Williamson Co, I know that Coach Rector isn't stupid. However, based on decisions and punishments he has made in the past involving his players, I am very surprised and disappointed he would let something like this happen.

Solomon yesterday I thought you showed true wisdom. Today you'll have to call me "stupid". Having played, worked around, and covered HS football in TN for nearly 30 years, I would call the section of the TSSAA handbook you quoted as ambiguous. After all the handbook is many times as useful as mammory glands on a male swine. :o

"Pads" would infer, to me, complete pads with full speed contact. Try hitting with just helmets and shoulder pads and see how many injuries it gets you. I would not have (prior to this Supreme Court ruling) considered shoulder pads a violation.

Using the same literal interpretation of the words you present, then every school is in violation. Why? 1) there is no affirmative exemption for helmets and 2) since the helmet is one of the most "padded" parts of the uniform, does it not follow that the use of helmets prior to the stated date is a prima facia case of violation, making every school in the state cheaters? :lol:

I think it's just a mountain of fertilizer being built from a mole hill of nothing. They got a different interpretation of what they thought was right and they are paying the price. Time to move on. :o

VI

Also a direct quote from the TSSAA Handbook:

Summer Practice: In the summer, in football, schools may not practice in pads until the Monday of the week of August 1. (It is permissible to wear helmets prior to the beginning practice date). Competition as a school team shall be limited in all team sports (football, girls volleyball, girls soccer, basketball, baseball, softball and soccer) to 10 days of school-against-school competition. In fall sports, this would apply to the period of time from the end of school until the Monday of the week of August 1 (opening day of practice). In other sports, this would apply from the end of the school year to the beginning of the following school year.

I stated earlier that I would find this hard to believe without evidence with what I knew about Coach Rector. Evidence has been provided, as has the rules that were broken. It's really hard to say that it's not plain as day in the TSSAA Handbook that only helmets may be worn before the week of August 1. I really don't see any wiggle-room for liberal interpertation of this rule.

Here is a link to the TSSAA Handbook:

http://www.tssaa.org/Handbook/handbook.pdf

Please see pages 24 and 26 for reference to the quotes I posted.

Edited by Solomon

Rector said the violation was not self-reported.

“We’d have to be idiots to try and get away with something like that here (with the practice field in plain view from Wilson Pike),” Rector said.

If he claimed ignorance, then found he violated rules....to save face...you self-report.. DON't you?

Ignorant? No way. Stupid? No. Confused? Doubtful.

Arrogant? Closer to the truth

The rules are simple, his coaching bretheren in 6-5A don't have a problem with its interpretation, he could call the TSSAA or any other coach in the area for a clarification if there was any doubt, the AD or principal could have directed an answer, they've evidently done it the way the rule has been interpreted in years past, and unless you live over by Wilson Pike there is no real reason to drive that road (it wouldn't be like Centennial which sits right next to the interstate or Franklin that sits on a main drag to Nashville) so why NOT do it right out in the open and see if you can get by with it?

Every coach looks for an edge-Rector found his had a sharp finish to it.