My thoughts on the 4way scrimmage at Oak Ridge

REBELRON

At first vs Oak Ridge Maryville struggled. Oak Ridge took it on their 1st possesion and scored. Maryville got the ball back and moved it well then stalled. Oak Ridge got the ball back and moved it some but Maryville stopped them. Maryville got the ball back then scored. The 1st session ended up 6-6

Oak Ridge has a good quarterback and receivers. #24 is a stud. There is another Coffey on board. He will be even better than his brother. He is a stud. I was very impressed with Oak Ridge's quickness on defense.

Maryville beat AE 7-0. Maryville went down the field on their 1st possesion. They stopped AE on their 1st possesion. Reserves took over after that. I was hoping to see Anthony Anderson.

Maryville and Seymour were scoreless. I don't know whether Seymour was playing starters or reserves. But! Maryville played all of their reserves in this scrimmage.

After the scrimmage with Seymour MHS scrimmaged Oak Ridge again. Maryville scored on their 1st series on a nice screen pass to Tyler Clendenen. Clendenen showed his speed by outrunning the OR secondary for the score. Oak Ridge drived down and kicked a field goal. After that reserves took over. Me,STARS and Rebel78 left after that. 1st string score was MHS 13 OR 9. I don't know if anyone scored after that.

Derek Hunt and Brent Burnett played well. Burnett ran the option well on 2 occasions. Burnett made 1 mistake on the pick in the AE scrimmage. Zane Winders made a great throw for a touchdown in the AE scrimmage but at the last second he was tagged. That negated the touchdown.

Tim Rodriques,Ryan Singleton,Cody McCoy ran the ball well. Michael Kelley ran well too. Maryville needs a healthy Adrian Baker. Baker sat out todays scrimmage. Baker can get those tough yards.

Having Tyler Clendenen stepping up will take some pressure off of Tyler Maples. Shiver played well. Some of the younger players played well. Aaron Douglas made a nice grab. Mason Trenda looks good. Maples played well but he looks like he may be a little banged up.

The offensive line for the most part played pretty well. OR was bringing the house every play.

On the defensive front Taylor Steele and Josh Cantwell were very solid. #76 and #52 played well. Dwight Wood,Aaron Douglas and Brett Wadham were good today. But! The star of the whole scrimmage was Justin Smith. He is the younger brother of former Rebel Standouts Jeffery Smith and Josh Smith. No one could block him.He dominated vs AE and OR. I believe he will be the other starting defensive end opposite of Dwight Wood.

Tanner Caylor and Cowboy were very good. I believe the other starter will be between Tim Rodriques and Travis Carpenter. Jordan Halsne and Brett Jackson looked good. Some of the younger players played well.

In the secondary Shiver played well. He killed that one guy for OR. I don't know a lot of the younger guys but they played well.

Maryville played against some very good competition and held their own. Maryville has a whole lot of improvement to make. But! I was very happy over the scrimmages today.

I hate even try to evaluate a scrimmage because I know what coach Quarles and Stevens are really trying to accomplish.

I will say this, if either team gets a case of the injury bug ... I think they may be in trouble. I know working on depth is a key for Oak Ridge and they appear to be moving closer to that.

The Wildcats need another wide receiver to step up. They have a good tightend that will see some passes this season, which will be a big help I think. The running game needs a healthy Kevin Helton, who was not suited today and the offensive line was short handed as well. I liked seeing the sophomore monsters playing well and moving their feet.

I thought Oak Ridge and Maryville was a push, if I was handicapping it.

I remember last season watching these two scrimmage. After that affair, SOME Oak Ridge fans were really hitting the panic button because Maryville looked so much better. That wasn't the case this season and I believe both will have solid years.

I didn't see AE vs. Seymour, but Oak Ridge had too much when they were playing Seymour. I liked the effort, and was impressed by a big running back they had, however.

TankTalk

You are on the money with the comment about injuries. Maryville is no where near as deep as they have been in the past. An injury to a lineman would kill Maryville. They aren't very deep with linemen. They also can't afford another running back injury. Adrian Baker needs to be healthy for Maryville to win big.

The photos of this little event, all except the AE/Seymour, (they were on a different field) are loaded onto the Oak Ridge Football Boosters website for any who would like to view. Oak Ridge Football Boosters Picture Page

Dang the humidity last night like to have killed me and the camera, I don't even want to think what the players were feeling like. :lol:

I thought the scrimmage was pretty even as well. I thought O.R. looked better earlier and Maryville looked better in the second round with 1st teamers. O.R. operated the "Maryvilleish" offense very well and Gulmire looked very poised. Number #24 for O.R. made some tremendous catches against good coverage. O.R. 's defense blitzed and at times caught Maryville runners in the backfield and at other times gave up big yards to the Rebs on tunnel screens.

As for Maryville, there are improvements to be made. Offensively, I thought that we missed several opportunites in the passing game with either overthrows or drops. We struggled some running the ball because O.R. blitzed through and caught us for losses. As was mentioned earlier, we missed Tank a great deal.

On the positive side, I thought both Q.B.'s played pretty well. Maples and Shiver had some nice catches and Clendenen showed some speed taking one to the house.

Defensively we started a little slow. O.R. hit a 40 yard pass on the first play and moved down and scored on 4th down at the one. I thought we settled down on defense after that and played pretty well. Caylor had a nice pick of a Gulmire pass. Cowboy and Shiver were laying some big hits. But the surprise of the scrimmage was sophomore Justin Smith. He had several sacks and some big hits against the running game.

I think the score might have been 13-9 Maryville, but it was pretty even and both teams got a lot of good work against quality competition.

Edited by STARSNBARS

For the most part, isn't Maryville's defense from last year pretty much intact? They were an impressive group.

I thought the scrimmage was pretty even as well. I thought O.R. looked better earlier and Maryville looked better in the second round with 1st teamers. O.R. operated the "Maryvilleish" offense very well and Gulmire looked very poised. Number #24 for O.R. made some tremendous catches against good coverage. O.R. 's defense blitzed and at times caught Maryville runners in the backfield and at other times gave up big yards to the Rebs on tunnel screens.

As for Maryville, there are improvements to be made. Offensively, I thought that we missed several opportunites in the passing game with either overthrows or drops. We struggled some running the ball because O.R. blitzed through and caught us for losses. As was mentioned earlier, we missed Tank a great deal.

On the positive side, I thought both Q.B.'s played pretty well. Maples and Shiver had some nice catches and Clendenen showed some speed taking one to the house.

Defensively we started a little slow. O.R. hit a 40 yard pass on the first play and moved down and scored on 4th down at the one. I thought we settled down on defense after that and played pretty well. Caylor had a nice pick of a Gulmire pass. Cowboy and Shiver were laying some big hits. But the surprise of the scrimmage was sophomore Justin Smith. He had several sacks and some big hits against the running game.

I think the score might have been 13-9 Maryville, but it was pretty even and both teams got a lot of good work against quality competition.

Edited by orangemoundwest

For the most part, isn't Maryville's defense from last year pretty much intact? They were an impressive group.

No we lost four defensive tackles, who we rotated in and out. Also lost an end, a linebacker and a couple in the secondary. We have 5 defensive starters returning i believe.