MBA v Goodpasture Scrimmage

jp2fan

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You'll be busy next Friday because I believe PJPII scrimmages Pearl-Cohn on that date ;)

Thanks for the help BC but I already have a PDA. If I am not mistaken the MBA/GP scrimmage is @ 4 PM and JP2/Pearl scrimmage is @ 7 PM so I can actually attend both. I will see you there. :unsure:

Looking forward to seeing MBA play Friday. Four-way scrimmages get confusing for a country sports writer like myself, but I hope to devote some time watching them. Cookeville, Oak Ridge, MBA and Blackman ... at least that's the last lineup I received.

Interesting that MBA would want to make the drive to Cookeville, considering their early season schedule is full of long road trips- @ Lexington Dunbar(KY), @ Lousiville Trinity, @ MUS. Cookeville will be a good test, though.

Even more interesting that its going to be a 4-way scrimmage. With Oak Ridge being there, this will be a big time scrimmage. Wish I could make it. Looking forward to hearing how the Big Red fare. Now that I think about it, the drive to Cookeville could be a good thing in that it will provide MBA a chance to get the routine of travel and work out any kinks. If MBA has a good year this year, they will have certainly earned it considering the schedule.

Is the Goodpasture scrimmage still on?

Is the Goodpasture scrimmage still on?

MBA and Goodpasture scrimmaged today.

MBA opened up the passing game much more today than versus Riverdale, and had success. Howe had some big time throws, the WRs had some great catches. The running game looked good at times. MBA has a sophomore RB, Patrick Crum, who has been tearing it up in non-first team work. He had a couple of 30-40+ yard runs last week against Riverdale, and a couple more today, including a 60-yard TD gallup. I'd be very surprised if he isn't competing for some decent varsity time this year - great vision for a back. Defensively, MBA gave up a few intermediate plays, but was stingy for the most part (no TDs allowed, one INT).

Goodpasture will be great in 2A once again - probably a good ways behind Alcoa, but they should make a good playoff run. They had a couple of backs that just missed breaking out for TDs (but still had some solid gainers), and the QB looked mobile and effective, although the Cougars didn't pass very much. Goodpasture looked big and strong up front defensively, and played well on the LOS, but the secondary was exploited today.

The score was somewhat lopsided (3 or 4 TDs for MBA to 0 for Goodpasture, unless someone scored after the 2:00 mark of the fourth quarter when I left), but it was a good work day for both teams.

MBA did a good job of spreading the field and Howe got the ball to the open receiver. There is just a big difference between the way most D2AAA teams use the passing attack and the way most D1 teams play. Goodpasture will probably not play any team that throws the ball 40%-50% of the time and honestly knows how to throw the ball.