Velocity SportsJamboree

Chattcity

Looks as though McCallie served notice that they are in for a strong year. I realize it is just a scrimmage but beating a very strong Red Bank team 13-0 is impressive. Soddy Daisy looked better than anticipated but it may just be that Central is not very good. Surprised to see Brainerd stay with Baylor.

Other thoughts?

Looks as though McCallie served notice that they are in for a strong year. I realize it is just a scrimmage but beating a very strong Red Bank team 13-0 is impressive. Soddy Daisy looked better than anticipated but it may just be that Central is not very good. Surprised to see Brainerd stay with Baylor.

Other thoughts?

It looked like Red Bank has changed there offense a lot. They were using the no huddle. They also ran the Utah option. Caldwell wasn't playing either. Does anyone know why?

1st qtr--S-D 7, CCHS 0--Chattanooga Central looks like the program may be turning the corner as they looked better than expected against Soddy-Daisy. The jury is still out on Soddy-Daisy as to how good they are/can be.

2nd qtr--Tyner 12, Hixson 0--Tyner looked like they'll certainly have to be reckoned with in 2A. They can play with schools of any class looks like if you judge them by last night's play but Hixson is not exactly a good measuring stick. Tyner will be tested at Fulton and at McCallie, otherwise, they should run the table but they better find a kicker or they'll lose a close game somewhere along the line. They'll do good until they hit Alcoa in the playoffs.

3rd qtr--Baylor 0, Brainerd 0--Baylor looked as bad as any Baylor team in years against Brainerd. Is Brainerd that much improved? Is Baylor down? Questions to be answered. Baylor's UT commitment Kevin Cooper sure didn't have his A-game with him last night carrying the ball or at linebacker.

4th qtr--CHS 14, East Ridge 0--Cleveland looked good offensively against another unknown in East Ridge. Could be they looked good due to the slow, plodding defense of ER. Once CHS broke those two long runs no one had a chance to catch them. Now CHS HAS a kicker! Cleveland's speed will burn a few teams this year. Have they returned to the glory days of yesteryear? Not exactly but they should make the playoffs this year if QB Preston Scoggins stays healthy.

5th qtr--McCallie 13, Red Bank 0-- Can Red Bank be all hype and no substance? The papers and Coacht has been giving them very high marks and the local media picked them to win the region because they were 'loaded'. Could it be that they have been reading too many headlines? An Ooltewah fan said that the Owls also totally throttled them Thursday night in a scrimmage by 28-0. Doesn't exactly sound or look like a 'loaded' team. On the other hand Ooltewah (Thursday) and McCallie (Friday) are probably the two best teams in this area. McCallie was by far the best team to take the field at Finley on Friday. They execute almost to perfection and are loaded with speed. Big Orange commitment, B.J. Coleman may be the best quarterback to come out the Chattanooga area in quite a while. Look for the Blue tornado to blow away the competition in most games this year.

Now, having said all that, please remember that these are just SCRIMMAGES for which we have to pay to attend and maybe, just maybe some of these teams didn't show a lot of offensive sets or play their first-stringers a whole lot.

We'll start to find out next Friday when we kick off for real.

Good luck to everyone--after all we're ALL unbeaten and tied for 1st place right now!

Red Bank and Baylor were both a surprise to me last night. Of the 2 Red Bank appeared to have room for improvement while Baylor looked to have alot of work to do. Cooper is a great back, but I think going both ways will make him less effective late in the game than he would be if you give him the ball 25 to 30 times fresh. I also think if your going to play Cooper both ways the quarterback is too good an athlete to not go both ways.

2nd qtr--Tyner 12, Hixson 0--Tyner looked like they'll certainly have to be reckoned with in 2A. They can play with schools of any class looks like if you judge them by last night's play but Hixson is not exactly a good measuring stick. Tyner will be tested at Fulton and at McCallie, otherwise, they should run the table but they better find a kicker or they'll lose a close game somewhere along the line. They'll do good until they hit Alcoa in the playoffs.

3rd qtr--Baylor 0, Brainerd 0--Baylor looked as bad as any Baylor team in years against Brainerd. Is Brainerd that much improved? Is Baylor down? Questions to be answered. Baylor's UT commitment Kevin Cooper sure didn't have his A-game with him last night carrying the ball or at linebacker.

5th qtr--McCallie 13, Red Bank 0-- Can Red Bank be all hype and no substance?

Good luck to everyone--after all we're ALL unbeaten and tied for 1st place right now!

...The Tyner "RAMS" can play with any team that is put in front of them...I wouldn't go so far as to say:"but Hixson is not exactly a good measuring stick"...sounds like you're trying to minimize what both teams put on the field last night...as for the kicker, we'll be alright...the way we substituted rb's(and our depth at that position) if need be, we can run it in for 2pts instead of kick it for one...and if you have any influence with the Velocity folks, tell them this was the 2nd straight year we have played Hixson in a Jamboree...last year we won 9-0...I agree that Fulton & McCallie will be challenging but both teams should get us ready for the playoff run to the 'Boro...

...Brainerd moved to ball much better than Baylor...the Red Raiders might have been looking past the Panthers(something you can't do; believe me Tyner know's this from 1st hand experience)

...Scouting reports say Red Bank had 9 on Offense and 8 on Defense returning...I'm sorry that I can't share the sentiments of some that say they had a few starters out...you're suppose to have a 'program' and that means depth at any position...so what if they played Ooltewah and then McCallie...welcome to world of High School football...McCallie was sharp and it will take a monumental effort to beat them this year!!!

...Just my $0.02 worth :P

I'll see your $.02 and go all in for the jackpot.

Tonight--

1st quarter--Silverdale Baptist Academy 17, David Brainerd Baptist Academy 0--Two very, very young programs with SBA getting the edge tonight. It's hard to see how any team (DBBA) can survive with the 18 players that I counted tonight.

2nd quarter--McMinn County 3, Walker Valley 0--McMinn mistakes need to be fixed quickly if they are going to challenge in 2-5A. WVHS's offense was non-existent tonight. The Wisconsin transfer at QB adds a good player on offense for the Cherokees. With McDermott, they'll make noise in 2-5A.

3rd quarter--Tennessee Temple 13, Grace Baptist Academy 0--Now here's a team that seems to run fine with only 18 players. Skogen is a game breaker for sure. I'd like to see him in a bigger program to see how he fares. He seems to have a lot of talent.

4th quarter--Bradley Central 0, Notre Dame 0--The Bears had the better of it on offense with a long drive stopped on a first down penalty followed by two sacks. They look much improved over the last few years.

5th quarter--Rhea County 6, Howard 0--Howard could be one of the most improved teams in Chattanooga and Rhea will certainly have to be reckoned with in their 4A region this year. They should contend with Red Bank, Cleveland for the title. They have too much talent with Sharp, Pritchett and Wilson to not put up some serious points this year.

5th quarter--Rhea County 6, Howard 0--Howard could be one of the most improved teams in Chattanooga and Rhea will certainly have to be reckoned with in their 4A region this year. They should contend with Red Bank, Cleveland for the title. They have too much talent with Sharp, Pritchett and Wilson to not put up some serious points this year.

Rhea was very physical on defense too, Number 15 had quite a few hard hits. I'm not sure what kind of defense they were running, but their 3 up front looked undersized, other than that they're solid.

Hard to tell how good McMinn will be this year. The penalties, i counted six (for a quarter!), slowed the offense quit a bit. WV didn't do much at all on offense so i guess some credit has to be given to McMinn's defense. In addition to the penalties it looked like WV 3-5 D gave McMinn some trouble.

Bradley Central looked improved over a year ago, and probably are, but they were playing a 2A school, albeit Notre Dame. I thought ND would be able to move the ball against BC, but really didn't threaten. Hard to say how many games BC will win in region 2-5A, but they do look improved over the last couple of years. ND should have no problem winning their region.

1st qtr--S-D 7, CCHS 0--Chattanooga Central looks like the program may be turning the corner as they looked better than expected against Soddy-Daisy. The jury is still out on Soddy-Daisy as to how good they are/can be.

4th qtr--CHS 14, East Ridge 0--Cleveland looked good offensively against another unknown in East Ridge. Could be they looked good due to the slow, plodding defense of ER. Once CHS broke those two long runs no one had a chance to catch them. Now CHS HAS a kicker! Cleveland's speed will burn a few teams this year. Have they returned to the glory days of yesteryear? Not exactly but they should make the playoffs this year if QB Preston Scoggins stays healthy.

5th qtr--McCallie 13, Red Bank 0-- Can Red Bank be all hype and no substance? The papers and Coacht has been giving them very high marks and the local media picked them to win the region because they were 'loaded'. Could it be that they have been reading too many headlines? An Ooltewah fan said that the Owls also totally throttled them Thursday night in a scrimmage by 28-0. Doesn't exactly sound or look like a 'loaded' team. On the other hand Ooltewah (Thursday) and McCallie (Friday) are probably the two best teams in this area. McCallie was by far the best team to take the field at Finley on Friday. They execute almost to perfection and are loaded with speed. Big Orange commitment, B.J. Coleman may be the best quarterback to come out the Chattanooga area in quite a while. Look for the Blue tornado to blow away the competition in most games this year.

Now, having said all that, please remember that these are just SCRIMMAGES for which we have to pay to attend and maybe, just maybe some of these teams didn't show a lot of offensive sets or play their first-stringers a whole lot.

We'll start to find out next Friday when we kick off for real.

Thanks for the update. Sounds like McCallie is one of the best teams in the state.

The reports of Red Bank having that many returning starters are false. I've been reading the reports on them this year and have been very suprised at the hype. Last year they were excellent, especially on D. I would go as far as to say they had the best D in the city. But they lost a TON of leadership an stud lineman and linbackers.. They did return almost all their skill players but we all know lineman an linebackers anchor teams. They lost Robbie Evans-LB Brandon O'Neal-LB Michael Aichele-DL Garrett Bull-DL Justin Parker-DL and Ryan Thomas-OL TJ Loveless-S..Those are 6 starters on D that I KNOW started so they couldnt have returned 8 starters