Melrose vs MUS, Week 0 @ the Liberty Bowl

kwc

OMW,

Who actually makes out Melrose's schedule--Do you know?

I was just wondering... why does Melrose (again) conclude its season by playing a bunch of "cream puffs?" Why not mix the mediocre teams in between tougher teams? Sure, I know Melrose has to play its district opponents, at some point. I say--what's wrong with playing those weak teams earlier, or something...

Here's the theory that I subscribe to (though Melrose seemed to manage ok, last year): Playing mediocre teams does NOT make a good team better; in fact, it tends to cause a good team lose its sharp edge.

With that in mind....I would rather see Melrose (or any other team, for that matter) intersperse some of those weak, "cup-cake" teams amongst games vs. quality competition. This would help insure that a good team maintains its high level of play, I believe, heading into the playoffs.

OMW (and anyone else), what are your thoughts on this theory? Do you think it has any merit?

On a slightly different note: I would love to see the Bridges Classic somehow try to lure Mississippi powerhouse South Panola into its annual week-zero game series(heck, even Olive Branch would be an interesting addition)! I wonder if Bridges has entertained that idea...

OMW, man--can you imagine the buzz in the air....Melrose vs. S. Panola, MUS vs. S. Panola or CBHS vs S. Panola to open the football season. Wow!

TraderB,

Robert Newman is the AD and his name is listed as the contact for scheduling games. I'm sure there is input from a very few select group of people.

Melrose and S. Panola were in talks two or three years ago about a home and home arrangement and it did not pan out.

As far as the rest of the schedule is concerned, Hamilton is a long time rivalry game and will be scheduled every year.

I kind of like the idea of having a few games that can possibly allow for injuries to heal, get some of the younger kids playing time, etc.

In addition Melrose has had an out of state power team on the schedule with the exception of this year. IMO, as far as high school schedules are concerned, the Melrose non district one is pretty good.

Personally, I would like to see a Melrose/Germantown Series start up.

A game with Oive Branch or West Memphis would not be bad either.

Edited by orangemoundwest

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TnsDeveloper,

The big "X" factor with Melrose's spread offense is the Michael-Vick-like QB that's leading the charge: Mr. Elusive, Courtney Madison. He's one slick, slippery game-changer that's difficult to prepare for (and even harder to tackle), no matter how many times a squad has seen a spread offense. To make matters even tougher on a defense, Madison appears to have a carte blanche/green light to do whatever he wants with the ball... whenever he wants to do it!

Bottom Line: If MUS is not able to contain QB Madison...it's gonna be a long, long night for MUS. On the other hand-- if they are able to keep him in check and/or pressure him into poor decisions then, IMO, Melrose will struggle mightly on offense!

BTW, I honestly don't expect Melrose's RB to be that big of a factor, Saturday night vs MUS. Nothing personal, but he appears very average--he's definitely no Craig Cooper!

All in all, I can't even begin to predict the winner of this MUS/Melrose matchup. I will say this one thing for certain, though: Something's got to give, come Saturday night! I suspect it's gonna be one very entertaining and exciting game.

He is slippery but no Michael Vick, Melrose appeared to be very talented as usual but did not look very sharp in the way they scored their 2 tds against Ridgeway. scrambling for 9 seconds and then finding an open receiver is not a way to make a living. The qb looked extremely tough to contain butwith the exception of a couple of scrambling plays, they did not look sharp to me.

He is slippery but no Michael Vick, Melrose appeared to be very talented as usual but did not look very sharp in the way they scored their 2 tds against Ridgeway. scrambling for 9 seconds and then finding an open receiver is not a way to make a living. The qb looked extremely tough to contain butwith the exception of a couple of scrambling plays, they did not look sharp to me.

Prophet,

True, Melrose QB Courtney Madison is not Michael Vick; his combination of speed, quickness, elusiveness, ability to embarass defenders en route to making big-plays (with his legs or arm), consistently....that skill-set and style of play are Michael Vick-like, IMO.

I agree that the "jury is still out" on Melrose...on both sides of the ball. I've stated that a number of times on this thread, btw. They've got a lot more to prove, beyond a mere 15-minute jamboree victory.

As for Melrose's 2 TD's vs Ridgeway... Here's the inescapable and embedded truth: The touchdowns still count...just like they did 2 years ago, all season long!

Stay with me now, Phrophet. I'm not trying to be a smart aleck, here.

Granted, scrambling around for 9 seconds then finding open receivers does not conform to any orthodox offense. Therefore, it would be easy to quickly dismiss that sort of play as chaotic, lucky, flukish, etc; A closer look reveals a more vivid picture: That is precisely the way QB Madison plays the game, consistently! He actually made a living 2 years ago (while leading Melrose to the State Finals) doing exactly that---scrambling around, finding open receivers!

Two "scrambling" TD's are not an abberation. Nope, not at all. For QB Madison it is the norm.

At the end of the day, Prophet...while Melrose still needs to improve in all facets of the game, until some team steps up and actually stops Madison form doing his normal thing, past performance suggests that Melrose is likely going to continue putting TD's on the board, in an unorthodox manner!

I know for a fact South Panolo has been asked to come play and has declined multiple times even when they had no week zero game scheduled. Although I never heard a reason as to why they declined. They would make a great addition to the kickoff classic in my honest opinion.

That's very interesting, Bauber!

Gosh, it's a shame that S. Palola declined to participate in the annual Bridges Kickoff Classic! Heck, I don't think they'd have anything to lose. Plus, they wouldn't even have to drive very far. Batesville, Mississippi is only 50-minutes away from Memphis, TN.

Oh, well....I guess we Memphians will just have to settle for Melrose, MUS, CBHS, White Station, Bolton and Briarcrest beating up on one another each year.

That's very interesting, Bauber!

Gosh, it's a shame that S. Palola declined to participate in the annual Bridges Kickoff Classic! Heck, I don't think they'd have anything to lose. Plus, they wouldn't even have to drive very far. Batesville, Mississippi is only 50-minutes away from Memphis, TN.

Oh, well....I guess we Memphians will just have to settle for Melrose, MUS, CBHS, White Station, Bolton and Briarcrest beating up on one another each year.

Haha Yes, I agree. I can't wait for tomorrow!!! GO OWLS!

Edited by Bauber

MUS wins 17-14. Both teams played a great game. Both teams should have a great year. MUS battled back after being down 14-9 with 8 minutes left. It was really a tale of two halves. MUS jumped out to a 9-0 lead but Melrose scored before the half to make it 9-7. The Melrose defense dominated the 3rd quarter and most of the 4th, but MUS eventually wore them down and drove for the go-ahead score with 3 minutes left.

Melrose had the best athletes but their discipline was no where to be found. MUS won the game playing with fewer athletes but making less mistakes than Melrose.

Now where have I heard that before? I enjoyed the game and expect both teams to be in the mix at the end of the year.