Ensworth

norespect

I think it's funny that this comment hasn't been played yet: Who in their right mind would accuse MBA of having "superior athletes?" You'd be hard-pressed to describe great MBA teams as: another order of magnitude in terms of size, strength, and speed. MBA has been winning state championships for 135+ years using a combination of the following: coaching, discipline, intelligence and intensity. Show me a coach who can get players to play harder for him than Ricky Bowers and I'll show you Vince Lombardi (obvious hyperbole, but you get the picture).

Your comment on superior athletes is dead on. I made the point several years ago in the debate over the public/private split, amid the usual allegations of recruiting, that if recruiting was indeed occurring at MBA, then as an alumnus, I wanted the recruiting director fired. MBA doesn't trun out nearly enough Div 1 football players to justify his salary.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure at (rarely discussed school) we have had the luxury of having the winningest football program in the state the past 9-10 years and it is great to go down and shake some hands, talk with other fans and most importantly congratulate or console the kids who just hung it out for 48 minutes. I always make it a point to shake a few hands from the visiting team and coaches, they worked hard as well.

Brings a tear to my eye.

Roll Arrogance Roll!

(Thanks to all for allowing this Big Red fan a moment away from being the best at everything to bring a little levity to the situation.)

the day one of us writes something like this about MBA, please have someone ban all of us from Coach T.

Though the conversation has seemingly taken turn to MBA and away from Ensworth I will try to get at the earlier questions. I am a junior at Ensworth and have been fortunate enough to play football and basketball for Coach Bowers since 8th grade. There is no doubt that Coach Bowers will make Ensworth be competitive a soon as possible. CB epitimizes a competitive athlete/coach. This year we are playing varsity teams that follow no clear order... mainly start up programs from around Tennessee. Next year we plan on playing at the highest level of division II. On the Ensworth website there is a link on the top for a "media gallery" where highlights from out last game can be seen.

• 2 weeks later...

Though the conversation has seemingly taken turn to MBA and away from Ensworth I will try to get at the earlier questions. I am a junior at Ensworth and have been fortunate enough to play football and basketball for Coach Bowers since 8th grade. There is no doubt that Coach Bowers will make Ensworth be competitive a soon as possible. CB epitimizes a competitive athlete/coach. This year we are playing varsity teams that follow no clear order... mainly start up programs from around Tennessee. Next year we plan on playing at the highest level of division II. On the Ensworth website there is a link on the top for a "media gallery" where highlights from out last game can be seen.

I just don't know if Ensworth has ever played against the blue collar, smashmouth football that GC plays, if they come in thinking that they won't hit like BGA, they have another thing coming

I just don't know if Ensworth has ever played against the blue collar, smashmouth football that GC plays, if they come in thinking that they won't hit like BGA, they have another thing coming

After reading these wonderful and provocative posts I have to say, if it is true that Bowers only had average athletes that gave above average performances week in and week out due to intensity, discipline and intelligence, then you can bet that Ensworth will most certainly be able to compete with the likes of MBA, BA, MUS, and the rest week in and week out. The superior coaching provided MBA by RB is now at Ensworth. Their results should be the same.

norespect I think if you read this entire thread the opinion is that Coach Bowers will be prepared for GC as well. Ensworth could very well be 4-0 after this weekend.

Edited by jp2fan

Classy post.

Have you ever heard of Tommy Owen? Ever since the TSSAA went to the playoff system(A, AA, and AAA), MBA played at the highest possible level even when enrollment levels would have allowed them to play in A or AA. When the TSSAA went to 5 classifications, MBA immediately went to 5A by choice. They could have played down and won multiple state titles, but wanted to play against the very best competition in the state. MBA was still a perennial state contender almost every year.

How can you say they would have won multiple state titles? Kind of a slam on the small schools that did.

So they play against the "very best"" competition and come up short every year.

The best built in excuse for not winning a team could ever have. They didn't win because they were playing up! Talk about zero pressure, no expectations to win state, long, long shot at best, but it was an admirable thing to do?

Kind of an ostentatious attitude. I guess being second or worse best always was better than winning (maybe) state at the appropriate enrollment level.

How can you say they would have won multiple state titles? Kind of a slam on the small schools that did.

So they play against the "very best"" competition and come up short every year.

The best built in excuse for not winning a team could ever have. They didn't win because they were playing up! Talk about zero pressure, no expectations to win state, long, long shot at best, but it was an admirable thing to do?

Kind of an ostentatious attitude. I guess being second or worse best always was better than winning (maybe) state at the appropriate enrollment level.

Whether or not a school that was very competitive at a classification higher than its enrollment dictated would have won multiple state titles at lower classifications is certainly subject to debate. I agree with you there.

I don’t have the time currently to search your historical posts. With that said, I would like to think that you have made/would make similar comments on threads in which, say, a historically dominant 4A school claims superiority over the 5A classification playoffs without ever having played a playoff game in that classification. I’d say that’s a more egregious display of an “ostentatious attitude” – taking shots at larger schools that the school itself isn’t even forced to play. Wouldn’t you agree?