Ensworth

norespect

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whether or not a school that was very competitive at a classification higher than its enrollment dictated would have won multiple state titles at lower classifications is certainly subject to debate. I agree with you there.

I don’t have the time currently to search your historical posts. With that said, I would like to think that you have made/would make similar comments on threads in which, say, a historically dominant 4A school claims superiority over the 5A classification playoffs without ever having played a playoff game in that classification. I’d say that’s a more egregious display of an “ostentatious attitude” – taking shots at larger schools that the school itself isn’t even forced to play. Wouldn’t you agree?

Don't have time to make comments on threads that don't pique my interest.

Easy out, play those that you are not supposed to beat, don't win and its no big deal. No pressure. Win and thats great, got to be an upset for the little guy to beat the big one.

Easy out, play those that you are not supposed to beat, don't win and its no big deal. No pressure. Win and thats great, got to be an upset for the little guy to beat the big one.

Please don't tell me you actually buy into this kind of thinking (that a school playing up is looking for an "easy out"). It certainly is a novel concept, but I don't think you'll find many people who believe such a mentality drives a classification decision.

Should we assume you deem programs that beat up on the same foes year-in, year-out, when they could probably be competitive with larger and more prestigious foes, as gallant?

Please don't tell me you actually buy into this kind of thinking (that a school playing up is looking for an "easy out"). It certainly is a novel concept, but I don't think you'll find many people who believe such a mentality drives a classification decision.

Should we assume you deem programs that beat up on the same foes year-in, year-out, when they could probably be competitive with larger and more prestigious foes, as gallant?

What does gallantry have to do with it?

Would you rather be the underdog every week and not have the pressure because you are not supposed to win anyway (playing up), or be the overwhelming favorite every week and be expected to win (pressure).

I am not talking about a school, just MBA ,since that was the school mentioned here.

Novel concepts make interesting conversation, or not, I suppose.

Would you rather be the underdog every week and not have the pressure because you are not supposed to win anyway (playing up), or be the overwhelming favorite every week and be expected to win (pressure).

Your question has fallacies as it relates to MBA. MBA was not an underdog every week when it played up, yet if you don't think there was some sort of pressure - even internally within each player to strive for perfection and excellence - every week, underdog or not, you are mistaken. This would relate to many schools, not just MBA.

I don't mind novel concepts, and enjoy interesting conversation, but I have a hard time buying into the premise that playing competition that is (in theory) less competitive is more pressure-filled than playing in a more competitive (in theory) environment in which a team has to be at its best more often than not to stay competitive and avoid embarrassment.

Based on your comment above, I guess it's safe to say that you think public schools copped out (took the easy way out) and now avoid any form of pressure.

Edited by rollredroll

Your question has fallacies as it relates to MBA. MBA was not an underdog every week when it played up, yet if you don't think there was some sort of pressure - even internally within each player to strive for perfection and excellence - every week, underdog or not, you are mistaken. This would relate to many schools, not just MBA.

I don't mind novel concepts, and enjoy interesting conversation, but I have a hard time buying into the premise that playing competition that is (in theory) less competitive is more pressure-filled than playing in a more competitive (in theory) environment in which a team has to be at its best more often than not to stay competitive and avoid embarrassment.

Based on your comment above, I guess it's safe to say that you think public schools copped out (took the easy way out) and now avoid any form of pressure.

With as many posts as you have you seem to be well versed in the bulletin board game.

I don't think anything about public schools.

No one is asking you to buy into any premise.

No more than I would buy into your comments about MBA.

Its been nice chatting though.

Well, first, obviously, we are talking about a situation that hasn't existed in 10 years, so it seems a little silly to be talking about what the mindset was back then.

More importantly, MBA, regardless of size, was a natural fit with the other Nashville AAA teams back then. Overton, Hillwood, Hillsboro, Father Ryan (playing up also), and MBA were all basically within spitting distance of one another. There were natural rivalries among all those schools, the publics of whom happened to be AAA. Who would we have even played had we been a AA team back then? Would we have been in BA's district, playing Williamson County teams? I don't recall any Nashville schools that were AA. The decision to play AAA, imo, had nothing to do w/ enrollment #s or anything like that--we played against the teams we had always played against in Nashville. If that made our post-season road to hoe a little harder, I never once heard anyone seriously contemplate NOT playing in AAA or for that matter speculating about how much easier life would be in AA....

Well, first, obviously, we are talking about a situation that hasn't existed in 10 years, so it seems a little silly to be talking about what the mindset was back then.

More importantly, MBA, regardless of size, was a natural fit with the other Nashville AAA teams back then. Overton, Hillwood, Hillsboro, Father Ryan (playing up also), and MBA were all basically within spitting distance of one another. There were natural rivalries among all those schools, the publics of whom happened to be AAA. Who would we have even played had we been a AA team back then? Would we have been in BA's district, playing Williamson County teams? I don't recall any Nashville schools that were AA. The decision to play AAA, imo, had nothing to do w/ enrollment #s or anything like that--we played against the teams we had always played against in Nashville. If that made our post-season road to hoe a little harder, I never once heard anyone seriously contemplate NOT playing in AAA or for that matter speculating about how much easier life would be in AA....

Most admirable.

The idea of dropping down was broached on campus in the mid seventies, during a fairly miserable 3 year run (6-4, 5-5, 2-8). The authorities made it clear that AA was simply not an option, any more than the admission of girls. Certain things would never happen.

There were several AA teams prior to the 1971 season, including Cumberland, Dupont, Cohn, Goodlettsville, Central, East, and North. Most of them closed or were much enlarged as desegregation occurred. None of the currently exist as high schools.

The idea of dropping down was broached on campus in the mid seventies, during a fairly miserable 3 year run (6-4, 5-5, 2-8). The authorities made it clear that AA was simply not an option, any more than the admission of girls. Certain things would never happen.

There were several AA teams prior to the 1971 season, including Cumberland, Dupont, Cohn, Goodlettsville, Central, East, and North. Most of them closed or were much enlarged as desegregation occurred. None of the currently exist as high schools.