Oak Ridge vs. Clinton

NickOrlando

Tnbreakers,

I agree with most of what you say as well, but how could we not be better with all first teamers on the field at the same time? I assure you that it has not happened yet on defense. I'm not using that as an excuse, it's the truth. Maybe I'm trying to convince myself we are a little better than what I've seen. Or I keep waiting for them to click and it ain't happenin'.

How could you posiibly approach this season like last season. We knew last season we had 28 seniors, 15 of those good solid quality football players. We knew going in we had a good football team. We lose the entire defensive front, three of our five offensive lineman, and I don't have to tell you, the best running back we've ever had; not to mention Jake, Leonard, Daniel, Baldwin and on and on. Of course this team is not as good as last year.

As for chemistry, yet to be seen. Heart? I am afraid you're right about that. I don't see any leadership from the players. You can tell that nothing much happened this summer in the weight room, they would sign in and then go to the pool. All you have to do is stand next to the Maryville kids and Alcoa kids to see what champions look like. They pay the price, pushing weights and running all summer. Most of our kids are no stronger now than a year ago. We easily lead the area in 155 pounders.

So, you are right, this is not the Oak Ridge team we are used to watching. And we're going to lose some games. We're young, small, and inexperienced for sure. Chemistry, work ethic, leadership is not where it has been, I agree. But this is the team we've got and this is the coaches we've got. So, let's get behind them, try to win this region and see what happens. See you at "the Ship"

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to go to Clinton, I have faith in the Coach and the players, the Seniors have worked for so long, to try to be good, and they deserve to win, we actually have a little talent this year, Chase Acres is gonna be real good for us in the running game, and Freshmen Weston Hazlehurst will help MUCH on the Defense, we got a pretty good quarterback, who hardly misses, and good receivers, unless Oak Ridge does have something that they havent taken out of the bag yet, Clinton DOES have the talent to WHOOP Oak Ridge, Clinton could beat the Oak Ridge team that I saw at the Jamboree, I am VERY excited to see what happens at the game Friday night!!!!

Hey Dragoons

Where is all that coming from. I don't think anybody has ripped Clinton on this whole trhread. But since you've mentioned it, you are correct. Clinton has stunk for years. And Coonhunter is just delusional. Latest post has Clinton ready to "Whoop Oak Ridge". I thought Clinton was going to tear down our goalpost after the jamboree, our AD had to go out there and get them away from it.

Hey Dragoons

Where is all that coming from. I don't think anybody has ripped Clinton on this whole trhread. But since you've mentioned it, you are correct. Clinton has stunk for years. And Coonhunter is just delusional. Latest post has Clinton ready to "Whoop Oak Ridge". I thought Clinton was going to tear down our goalpost after the jamboree, our AD had to go out there and get them away from it.

Listen up ORidgeKat, this is where it's coming from. While this discussion group has been somewhat rational, I'm like every red blooded American, I get worked up about nothing. My screen name makes it quite obvious that I'm a Clinton Native. That being said and out of the way, I love to talk football. I play way to much fantasy football and have been known to wager a thing or two in the past. Now that you know me a little, I have tried to have intelligent conversations about the game and people from Oak Ridge get defensive when you talk about their program. Its natural and I understand. My lashing stems from that. In my humble opinion, Oak Ridge is ripe for the picking. Clinton got thumped last year and has revenge on their minds. Because of the butt whipping last year, I think Oak Ridge may come in flat. In the scrimmage games, Clinton has been building confidence and from what I've seen, Oak Ridge has to be losing some. As for coach Stevens, sure he has performed well with Great players but this year his deck is so stacked. If I'm not mistaking, he got out of A-E at just the right time. Reminds me of Fulmer in a lot of ways but thats another topic. The final outcome of the game will probably have Oak Ridge coming out on top just because of pure athletes. I for one think that after the Jamberee game, that Clinton can win this football game. Will it happen, ???? I know, along with any one else who saw Clintons quarter against Union county, that we had exposed a weakness in the secondary. Unlike years past, this year the Booster club purchase about 10K in video equipment to analyze such game tapes. Will it help??? If things go our way and for once the ball bounces our way, yes the Clinton fans will do something stupid, like take down the goal posts or paint Oak Ridges field but this game is very important to the Clinton program and I expect an all out "WAR".

GO DRAGOONS!!!!!!!!

Wow, I didn't mean to spark such a whirlwind. I watched the Alcoa scrimmage and I agree with TnBreakers, this is a team that has been on a successful run since they were young pups, semi finals, state championship game. These boys ain't hungry for success. They think they have it already and that the obvious next step is to win the state, and nothing else has crossed their mind. The only problem is they don't work hard at all. They think they have gotten success already wrapped up and they do not plan to work for it. That's why I predict the 9-3 season. In the past the Cats did not know how to win, now they think they are invincible.

In defense of Coach Stevens, he has done a good job of working with these kids, but I do think their weightroom is a joke, always has been a joke, and always will be a joke. I hate to admit it, but if you want to find big, nasty, strong players go to AC.

Bingham is tough, Helton is always hurt, and Connor does not have the supporting actor role anymore. He actually has to shine.

The Linemen that are returning are ok. I am interested to see what Lane can do this year as a leader without Whaley, Trent and Manning around.

Stuart has potential but he always seems to fall short of expectations. He is good size 6'3 270 or so, good feet, strong, but just doesn't play hard all the time. He rests a lot, but maybe thats because he is young. I think he could be tough.

Dragoonz, that's a good post, I agree with most of it. And I love to talk football too. Clinton is better than they have been and Oak Ridge is down a little bit. I have never called for a blowout at all. However, I do believe the Cats will take this one. Believe me, I love playing Clinton first each year, but you have to admit it's not much of a rivalry anymore. I do miss the intensity that this game used to have. As a matter of fact, I think next year will be the last year we play you guys. If we add another team (probably Maryville) to region 2-5a in 2008 Clinton will be off our schedule. So, it looks to me like you guys have 2 more chances to beat the Ridge. And you are correct, if you're going to beat OR, you better get them this year.

As far as the coaching goes, I think Stanton is a good coach. I think his record bares that out. And he left AE to take his dream job at OR. It had nothing to do with what he had at AE. You have to take a job like OR when it comes open. What else could he do say, "Sorry Oak Ridge I'll pass, I think this AE team has a chance to win state." Please! It's pretty simple really to me, good players make good coaches. Sorry players make coaches look sorry. You can't make chicken salad out of chicken sh--. It's about the Jimmy's and Joes not the x's and o's, and all that other cliche coach speak.

To me Coach T is just clean fun. I'm not one that gets defensive or mad, but I will dispute what I believe to inaccurate statements from other fans about my team. I love to play Clinton and will miss this game when its gone from the schedule. Having said all that Dragoonz, OR is NOT overlooking Clinton I assure you, and we are coming over there Friday night to kick your _____. Peace

Kat,

Good post.

I was trying to figure out what Fulmer had to do with Clinton or OR.

Surely we are not comparing his record to that of Clinton. Especially since he is at the top or near the top in winning percentages of all active college coaches that have coached for 10 or more years.

Ole Dad

Cats kick some Dragon Tail and improve each week thereafter.

Dragoonz, that's a good post, I agree with most of it. And I love to talk football too. Clinton is better than they have been and Oak Ridge is down a little bit. I have never called for a blowout at all. However, I do believe the Cats will take this one. Believe me, I love playing Clinton first each year, but you have to admit it's not much of a rivalry anymore. I do miss the intensity that this game used to have. As a matter of fact, I think next year will be the last year we play you guys. If we add another team (probably Maryville) to region 2-5a in 2008 Clinton will be off our schedule. So, it looks to me like you guys have 2 more chances to beat the Ridge. And you are correct, if you're going to beat OR, you better get them this year.

As far as the coaching goes, I think Stanton is a good coach. I think his record bares that out. And he left AE to take his dream job at OR. It had nothing to do with what he had at AE. You have to take a job like OR when it comes open. What else could he do say, "Sorry Oak Ridge I'll pass, I think this AE team has a chance to win state." Please! It's pretty simple really to me, good players make good coaches. Sorry players make coaches look sorry. You can't make chicken salad out of chicken sh--. It's about the Jimmy's and Joes not the x's and o's, and all that other cliche coach speak.

To me Coach T is just clean fun. I'm not one that gets defensive or mad, but I will dispute what I believe to inaccurate statements from other fans about my team. I love to play Clinton and will miss this game when its gone from the schedule. Having said all that Dragoonz, OR is NOT overlooking Clinton I assure you, and we are coming over there Friday night to kick your _____. Peace