Urban Legands or true stories

superwho?

I played for Collinwood from 1986-90 and Spring Hill had a running back named Orlando Wade. Everyone said the coaches were putting Vaseline on his legs to keep him being tackled. I really dont know, the only shot I had at him was when he busted through the line and stepped on my chest. I could hear him laughing as he went by. My one chance to shine as a Freshman. Bummer. ;)

Great Story!! I think this thread is so cool. I'll bet there are so many old stories out there that could be told about high school football. I'd like to hear 'em all!!!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The "gentlemen" from Taft are not you dime-store bandits. That place is the end of the line for juvenile offneders. Many there are in there for 3+ felonies (thats rape, murder, child molesters, armed robbery, ect) and aint very nice. If I was an AD and Taft was coming I would not put my cheerleaders on the field. Worked in that system for 2 years and trust me they aint nice.

As for the story I was told by employees there at Taft that it was true.

well, there was the time when Obion Central fans put cow chips under the visiting bleachers for the Union City game. .... Or, was that UC fans putting the dung under OC's bleachers? .... anyway, that was an interesting night. :lol:

of course, the favorite chear at UC during OC week was (and, still is) .....

SHOOOOO WEEEEEE! WHAT'S THAT SMELL? C-E-N-T-R-A-L ! ! ! ! :lol:

OC and UC used to have (and might still do, I don't know) a "Tacky Day" the day of the game or the day before. Lots of girls dating football players at the other school would wear his jersey to school that day. :lol:

funny how the ol' clock at Milan's Johnnie Hale Stadium used to flicker off at just the right time during the John Tucker era. :o

Speaking of Milan....You should have seen some of those game films Tucker used to send to Union City....They would be soooo chopped up...You would see the opening kick-off,then the next thing you might see was Milan calling timeout in the second quarter right before half-time....And those game programs....You would have a guys name...for size and weight it would be S for small and L for large...Position would be O for offense and D for defense...Couldn't accuse Tucker of Too Much Information....And yea,that clock had a mind of it's own...Or maybe it didn't...

Speaking of Milan....You should have seen some of those game films Tucker used to send to Union City....They would be soooo chopped up...You would see the opening kick-off,then the next thing you might see was Milan calling timeout in the second quarter right before half-time....And those game programs....You would have a guys name...for size and weight it would be S for small and L for large...Position would be O for offense and D for defense...Couldn't accuse Tucker of Too Much Information....And yea,that clock had a mind of it's own...Or maybe it didn't...

Ah, now by the end he would list their weight.....and every player on the team was either 149 or 199. Funny how Toby Champion was able to put on about 100 pounds between his senior year of high school and his freshman year at UT. :thumb:

One ol' Tucker myth I always remember hearing was that during summer two-a-days that he would take his team out to a nearby briar patch so they could get toughened up.

Ah, now by the end he would list their weight.....and every player on the team was either 149 or 199. Funny how Toby Champion was able to put on about 100 pounds between his senior year of high school and his freshman year at UT. :lol:

One ol' Tucker myth I always remember hearing was that during summer two-a-days that he would take his team out to a nearby briar patch so they could get toughened up.

:thumb: I heard the same thing about the brair patch, and it came from a former Milan player.

Toby Champion 199, he had velcro on his jersey and he would slap another number on so that he could play FB. Ask Arran Taylor if he was 199!!!!!!