(1-1) Jellico @ (0-1) Hampton

Here's a comment and I don't want any responses please: A few people are lucky I didn't put that nonsense after the game Friday in the paper. I was there, it was ridiculous, it was nonsense! It was uncalled for. I stood on the sidelines the whole game and not once did I hear Mike Lunsford or J.C. or any of the other coaches call someone names or say something that wasn't called for... I'll just keep my mouth shut.

Now...

Being from Roan Mountain, I want people from Hampton to know that Mike Lunsford's attitude and the motivation by those coaches are exactly why Cloudland had Championship-calibar teams year in and year out and we took pride in whipping everybody but the private schools' tails on a year in and year out basis. Cloudland also had its fare share of talent, but those teams were motivated. Did anybody expect the 2001 team before the season to be playing in Murfreesboro after losing two 1,000-yard rushers and their leader? No. But those senior linemen and those juniors and sophomores stepped up and got them to the BlueCross Bowl.

I saw a post on here by somebody complaining about Mike. I'll bet you if Mike and Michael had've been at Cloudland last year, Hampton wouldn't have beat Cloudland in Roan Mountain, nor would the Bulldogs have made it to the semifinals.

(I'm sure a lot of my friends at Hampton will disagree with that statement, but it's just my own personal belief and doesn't down last year's team at all - they were still pretty dog-goned good.)

Sure there's no Jon Potter. Somebody step up and be the next Jon Potter. In 2001, Cloudland didn't have Allen Barnett --- look what happened, Mark Barnett and Dane Christman stepped up and whipped some tail. Dane later became Mr. Football and the toughest linebacker I've seen in this county since Jason Witten. There's kids with that potential at Hampton right now if they would work at it!

Here's Hampton with a player with the heart and determination of Mark Byrd, linemen big enough to whoop anybody in the area if motivated, and there's so much depth and talent in the skill positions. Sure the team made some mistakes Friday night - whooptedoo - it was the first game of the season. That game seemed to motivate those guys a year ago and I'm betting it motivates them this year.

The reason I took the Hampton beat over the Elizabethton beat this year is because I believed these younger guys could help push the Bulldogs to the Championship level. I was there with the Cloudland teams and I want to tell that story in the paper for this Bulldog team.

So you didn't get your undefeated regular season. Cloudland didn't have one in 2001 and they did something nobody else in this area has done. People are already talking like the season is over... the last I checked, it's just the second week of the season and there's a conference game Friday night.

Some people won't be complaining after their boys whip Jellico this week.

I'm off my soapbox and I'll go back to writing the stories the way I see them. Thank you for your time.

Just make sure you're there to do the layout tonight my little buddy Garth Jr. They like to have killed me last night.

I reason I don't have the Elizabethton beat this year is the food was too good up on the pressbox. I was afraid of getting fatter.

I need to walk so I'll stay on the sidelines or inside of Carl's Roost. I wouldn't worry too much about Hampton. They'll be fine.

And to King, How's those pipes shaping up!

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had high expectations for this ,what I thought was a Team. Too many people trying to cause disention. This bunch as a whole is Too soft. I had some doubts before the season started, half these guys will be injuried all season long. Hampton has some very tough boys, but not enough to be a contender. I feel sorry for A T who has worked like no other and given his all to the football team. Hampton may not even win the district and if they do, they will lose in the first round. Seems like Jon Potter was the heart of this team, they lost their heart and its hard to live without a heart. Shoot, we even have Unaka people on here trying to tear the team apart. A house divided among itself cannot stand. If these coaches can get these boys to play as a TEAM and give it their all for the rest of the Team. They could be pretty good. I just don't see it.

Pujo, I totally agree with your entire post, but I would like to let those who are interested know that things during and after the Johnson County game have nothing to do with the situation at Hampton. Hampton's problems have been sitting on the stove eye waiting to boil since, oh since approx Aug 2004.

You have peaked my interest can'trun. I wish that you would go a little more in depth with your assessment. Why since Aug. 2004. I also can't believe that Pujo has given up so soon. He was always the voice of optimism, saying that the coaches DEMANDED certain things, when in all likelihood they were not even working on them in practice to begin with. Some of the coaches need to practice what they preach on themselves. If the coaches are undisciplined the players will be as well. Hampton sports as a whole is a shambles and disgrace. There is no pride anymore and doesn't look like there will be any for years to come, because after football comes basketball and you know what that means. Even worse, now that Coach Lunsford is on that staff too. They really solved that problem too. Those dadburn assistants didn't know what they were doing so let's run THEM off, not the head coach, who has absolutely NO CLUE as to what is going on, but it is solved now with Coach Lunsford on staff. He will bring the discipline to hoops that he has to football?

If the basketball team does as good as the football team did , I'd call it a success. Its up to the parents about the disapline. If the parents don't respect the coaches, neither will the boys. I really think the football will be alright, some of these guys just have to step it up and play for the Team.

You have peaked my interest can'trun. I wish that you would go a little more in depth with your assessment. Why since Aug. 2004. I also can't believe that Pujo has given up so soon. He was always the voice of optimism, saying that the coaches DEMANDED certain things, when in all likelihood they were not even working on them in practice to begin with. Some of the coaches need to practice what they preach on themselves. If the coaches are undisciplined the players will be as well. Hampton sports as a whole is a shambles and disgrace. There is no pride anymore and doesn't look like there will be any for years to come, because after football comes basketball and you know what that means. Even worse, now that Coach Lunsford is on that staff too. They really solved that problem too. Those dadburn assistants didn't know what they were doing so let's run THEM off, not the head coach, who has absolutely NO CLUE as to what is going on, but it is solved now with Coach Lunsford on staff. He will bring the discipline to hoops that he has to football?

If I'm not mistaken he is talking about the dream team.

If the basketball team does as good as the football team did , I'd call it a success. Its up to the parents about the disapline. If the parents don't respect the coaches, neither will the boys. I really think the football will be alright, some of these guys just have to step it up and play for the Team.

Same problem you have with basketball as you have in football.

Just make sure you're there to do the layout tonight my little buddy Garth Jr. They like to have killed me last night.

I reason I don't have the Elizabethton beat this year is the food was too good up on the pressbox. I was afraid of getting fatter.

I need to walk so I'll stay on the sidelines or inside of Carl's Roost. I wouldn't worry too much about Hampton. They'll be fine.

And to King, How's those pipes shaping up!

If this is big Tim you need to keep your mouth shut and stay up the Creek you trader!

Let's see now, who did the Football team beat last year that they weren't supposed to? No one. Who did the basketball team beat last year that they weren't supposed to? Ditto. I see a pattern here. Johnson Co. was/is the only game where Hampton would not be a prohibitive favorite and they cannot win against a well prepared/well conditioned/well disciplined team. Who have they beaten that they should not have? And that is considered a good season. Seems to me they went as far as the talent let them.

Well I keep up with all the polls and they were underdogs to Cloudland , Coalfield and Happy Valley. They won by a bigger margin in nearly all their games. As we speak ,several teams in region 2 are rated higher than Hampton. Most polls have them at 15th.

Edited by pujo

I am so sick of this crap I can't stand it. First of all we don't need to be telling people who is hurt and our problems on coachCRYt. Adam fumble the ball on the 3 yard line and the 18 yard line we lost the game the end. We Lost. It is not the coaches fault we made dumb mistakes. And as a parent and for my son I am glad that we have two of the best coaches in east Tn. Yes they run the ball and Hampton can run it good yes we need to pass a little more but Hampton is and always be a running team. By running the football J.C. and Mike Lundsford have won alot of games. If you want to fuss about something fuss about the defence that is were need to improve but we have the best kids and most athletic defence in the region and State if they will play like they are. So lets everyone shut up and let the coaches and the kids do there job. If you don't like it stay at home and shut your mouth. I had a blast last year and plan on having fun this year. God Bless, Good Luck and Stay Healthy.

If this is big Tim you need to keep your mouth shut and stay up the Creek you trader!

Hide all the guns in Hampton until football season is over. I don't blame Tim or anyone for sending their kid to somewhere besides Hampton. You all act like a bunch of nuts on here. And they did win a state championship in basketball. Who have we beat?

I am so sick of this crap I can't stand it. First of all we don't need to be telling people who is hurt and our problems on coachCRYt. Adam fumble the ball on the 3 yard line and the 18 yard line we lost the game the end. We Lost. It is not the coaches fault we made dumb mistakes. And as a parent and for my son I am glad that we have two of the best coaches in east Tn. Yes they run the ball and Hampton can run it good yes we need to pass a little more but Hampton is and always be a running team. By running the football J.C. and Mike Lundsford have won alot of games. If you want to fuss about something fuss about the defence that is were need to improve but we have the best kids and most athletic defence in the region and State if they will play like they are. So lets everyone shut up and let the coaches and the kids do there job. If you don't like it stay at home and shut your mouth. I had a blast last year and plan on having fun this year. God Bless, Good Luck and Stay Healthy.

Gosh Bigdog.....calm down. You're confusing me combining your two personalities like this.

Edited by behindthemdogs