(1-1) Jellico @ (0-1) Hampton

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok-First of all you have no right to assume what kind of "type" I am. Not that it is any of your business but I do believe in spanking my OWN children when I deem necessary.My husband coached football and I do have someone on the field that I love dearly who I am sure is a way better man already than most! Not because of his tough coaches but because I raised him that way! I taught him respect,manners,responsibility (without cussing or grabbing on him)! If the parents do their jobs they have those qualities already.I agree that coaches should reinforce those but it is real hard to respect someone when they are in you face calling you a loser!I am not against any of them doing their job!! JC Campbell is one of the finest men I know and I have the utmost respect for him.He is tough when needed but also hands out praise when needed.There should be a balance and he is a wonderful coach who realizes that.I know they have their best interest at heart but everyone should admit they do get a little carried away at times.I love the game of football and hope these boys go all the way!! Thist is my final response,I don't really think it deserved a topic on here,but since you started it.....

Go dogs!!

ladybulldog94,

Well said, ladydog.

Ok-First of all you have no right to assume what kind of "type" I am. Not that it is any of your business but I do believe in spanking my OWN children when I deem necessary.My husband coached football and I do have someone on the field that I love dearly who I am sure is a way better man already than most! Not because of his tough coaches but because I raised him that way! I taught him respect,manners,responsibility (without cussing or grabbing on him)! If the parents do their jobs they have those qualities already.I agree that coaches should reinforce those but it is real hard to respect someone when they are in you face calling you a loser!I am not against any of them doing their job!! JC Campbell is one of the finest men I know and I have the utmost respect for him.He is tough when needed but also hands out praise when needed.There should be a balance and he is a wonderful coach who realizes that.I know they have their best interest at heart but everyone should admit they do get a little carried away at times.I love the game of football and hope these boys go all the way!! Thist is my final response,I don't really think it deserved a topic on here,but since you started it.....

Go dogs!!

dont want to talk about it anymore mom, sorry to upset you

Hampton should blow this team out if they are legitimate contender.

I had high expectations for this ,what I thought was a Team. Too many people trying to cause disention. This bunch as a whole is Too soft. I had some doubts before the season started, half these guys will be injuried all season long. Hampton has some very tough boys, but not enough to be a contender. I feel sorry for A T who has worked like no other and given his all to the football team. Hampton may not even win the district and if they do, they will lose in the first round. Seems like Jon Potter was the heart of this team, they lost their heart and its hard to live without a heart. Shoot, we even have Unaka people on here trying to tear the team apart. A house divided among itself cannot stand. If these coaches can get these boys to play as a TEAM and give it their all for the rest of the Team. They could be pretty good. I just don't see it.

Edited by pujo

I had high expectations for this ,what I thought was a Team. Too many people trying to cause disention. This bunch as a whole is Too soft. I had some doubts before the season started, half these guys will be injuried all season long. Hampton has some very tough boys, but not enough to be a contender. I feel sorry for A T who has worked like no other and given his all to the football team. Hampton may not even win the district and if they do, they will lose in the first round. Seems like Jon Potter was the heart of this team, they lost their heart and its hard to live without a heart. Shoot, we even have Unaka people on here trying to tear the team apart. A house divided among itself cannot stand. If these coaches can get these boys to play as a TEAM and give it their all for the rest of the Team. They could be pretty good. I just don't see it.

Where are Unaka people trying to tear hampton apart?

Pretty simple Krich, He don't even know anyyhing about the player situation and he's trying to cause trouble. The way Unaka has improved and with Hampton divided , Unaka could pull this one off. I bet Coach Ensor never raises his voice.

Edited by pujo

Here's a comment and I don't want any responses please: A few people are lucky I didn't put that nonsense after the game Friday in the paper. I was there, it was ridiculous, it was nonsense! It was uncalled for. I stood on the sidelines the whole game and not once did I hear Mike Lunsford or J.C. or any of the other coaches call someone names or say something that wasn't called for... I'll just keep my mouth shut.

Now...

Being from Roan Mountain, I want people from Hampton to know that Mike Lunsford's attitude and the motivation by those coaches are exactly why Cloudland had Championship-calibar teams year in and year out and we took pride in whipping everybody but the private schools' tails on a year in and year out basis. Cloudland also had its fare share of talent, but those teams were motivated. Did anybody expect the 2001 team before the season to be playing in Murfreesboro after losing two 1,000-yard rushers and their leader? No. But those senior linemen and those juniors and sophomores stepped up and got them to the BlueCross Bowl.

I saw a post on here by somebody complaining about Mike. I'll bet you if Mike and Michael had've been at Cloudland last year, Hampton wouldn't have beat Cloudland in Roan Mountain, nor would the Bulldogs have made it to the semifinals.

(I'm sure a lot of my friends at Hampton will disagree with that statement, but it's just my own personal belief and doesn't down last year's team at all - they were still pretty dog-goned good.)

Sure there's no Jon Potter. Somebody step up and be the next Jon Potter. In 2001, Cloudland didn't have Allen Barnett --- look what happened, Mark Barnett and Dane Christman stepped up and whipped some tail. Dane later became Mr. Football and the toughest linebacker I've seen in this county since Jason Witten. There's kids with that potential at Hampton right now if they would work at it!

Here's Hampton with a player with the heart and determination of Mark Byrd, linemen big enough to whoop anybody in the area if motivated, and there's so much depth and talent in the skill positions. Sure the team made some mistakes Friday night - whooptedoo - it was the first game of the season. That game seemed to motivate those guys a year ago and I'm betting it motivates them this year.

The reason I took the Hampton beat over the Elizabethton beat this year is because I believed these younger guys could help push the Bulldogs to the Championship level. I was there with the Cloudland teams and I want to tell that story in the paper for this Bulldog team.

So you didn't get your undefeated regular season. Cloudland didn't have one in 2001 and they did something nobody else in this area has done. People are already talking like the season is over... the last I checked, it's just the second week of the season and there's a conference game Friday night.

Some people won't be complaining after their boys whip Jellico this week.

I'm off my soapbox and I'll go back to writing the stories the way I see them. Thank you for your time.

Edited by acdcfan

The difference in Cloudland and Hampton was mental and physical toughness. Mike was alot tougher at Cloudland but everyone was behind him. You couldn't beat these guys off the field. I saw them beat and banged until they could barely go, but they still got in there and played their hearts out. Mike played the same way, at about 140 pounds, he had the record for tackles at Cloudland for along time. He expects people to play the game the same way he did. While coaching at Cloudland ,he had some of the toughest players I've ever seen. They meant to destroy people. Little Michael comes from the same mold, He will probably be the leading tackler on this team. If he ever leaves the field, trust me ,he will be injuried. It takes heart and toughness to play this game. Mike told me the other day ,the only thing he hated about coaching was ,how big an A-- h== you have to be, to be a good team. This Hampton team has more potential than most of the Cloudland teams he coached, they just need to learn to play as hard. I'd like to see it happen ,but I'll believe it when Isee it.

Edited by pujo

pujo, You're right. I don't know what happened in Mountain City; and personally, I don't care.

I offered a couple examples from both ends of the coaching spectrum. There are a few at either end, philosophically, with most somewhere in the middle. I also later stated my preference for one over the other. I think I'm entitled to that. That shouldn't be interpreted as trying to cause trouble.

But to be clear, I don't like the sight of any coach, at any level, putting his hands on his players. It simply isn't necessary. (It goes without saying that to pat a player on the back, or grab him or her by the jersey, to give them information, etc, is all part of the job).

As to Donald Ensor, if you drive up the Creek right now, you'll probably hear him shouting to the top of his voice. I've watched and listened to him for nearly two decades now; he's loud, emotional and demanding. But I've never heard him call a player a name or put his hands on them.

As for your brother, I've seen him hug and congratulate nearly every player he's coached. I've Never seen him touch a player, other than in a positive way. And I didn't suggest that he, or anybody did anything out of character.

Personally, I think you're just using me to motivate the Bulldogs :thumb:.