Chattanooga Central

GUMP

When, I lived there all the great athelets were recruited away to the private schools. Then they had a problem keeping a good coach.

Who ever chased the coach away that had them deep in the playoffs needs to be hung up on the goal post!

Tell me about it. I was going to Central but someone else gave me an offer I couldn't refuse. You should've seen my parents house after that! I couldn't believe the coaches would actually take time to come to the house just for me. Let's just say my sweet sixteen car was super sweet!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You obviously didn't live here when Red Etter coached and recruited players from not only the Chattanooga area but GA and ALA. Oh wait a minute! Central is a public school. They don't recruit.

My family lived there from 1995-1999.

Had a son that was All County in a couple of sports there. Played Middle School football, Baseball, Soccer, Wrestling, CC, Track .

So I lived there and saw some great athletes who lived in the Harrison area going away to the private schools. If I would have stayed we might have done the same! Who knows? We had McCallie parents and coaches encouraging us to look at the program and that assistance was available. Call that what you want?!

Great area with great families. Hate to see their football program die. We were there when the Brown Middle School went undefeated with Demonte and others. It should have been a great building block for their program but instesd....

U know the rest of the story.

Edited by rigger101

It is not coaching. If you have seen any of the games you would know that. Central has good coaches, but the players have got to want to play hard. Last I checked you cant coach heart and desire. Its just not there. Dont assume something if you dont know the facts. Its easy for people to make assumptions when they dont know the facts. Its called arm chair quarterback.

Where have you been. That's what Coaches do! They give the young men of their teams the desire to win! That's what leadership is all about! Your folks go the extra mile because they beleave in the coach etc.

I was at a High School that had won 1 game in 10 years. They brought in an assistant coach from a good program and the first year we went 7-3, then 6-4 and my senior year 9-2.

The Coach is the key to bringing that heart and desire or finding the young men with the Right Stuff! Read Maryvilles Boards and tell me it's not coaching. Maryvilles Coach would have Chatt Central deep in the playoffs in 2 years. There's always been talent in that community except it now goes to the privates or uses a Family members address to play some where else.

Do the feeder programs still win?

We have the same problem in Farragut but not as bad. Our feeder programs can beat Oak Ridge but choke at the High School level. It's Coaching!

• 4 weeks later...

I think central's record has a shared blame on the coaches, players, and their lack of players.

Last year they lost a QB, kicker, WR, and some DB's all from senior class. They also lost a bunch of upcoming seniors that lost the desire to play.

Also they have lost many players that they relied on to much. They started with about 10 seniors this year and now have 6 due to injuries.

And with loosing them next year won't make their season any worse.

They will have twice as many next year. Many of their Juniors are stepping up this year as leaders. I hope they might have a winning season next year, but 07 isn't in their favor

I can give some first hand insight to this problem. I grew up in harrison, played at Central and now coach our youth leauges. First off I want to say there is no #1 reason Central is continually in the dumps. It is a multitude of reasons. One thing I can assure you that is not is the feeder programs. The Harrison rec program is one of the most successful programs in the state in all sports and has been for quite some time. Obviously it varys from year to year age group to age group but overall I would put it up against anyone. Only middle valley and east Brainard can compare and they are both twice the size. There are some phenomenal athletes there right now especially in the 9-10 year old age group. The football league has three teams in that age group and they are all undefetaed except when they have played each other. One team has only given up 12 points in 5 games this year. They have won or been runner up in the county every year for the last 5 years.The 9 year old baseball team won the state and was second in the World Series. (should be first do to rules viloations, but that is another story). In addition to this there are many good basketball players as well. The youth wrestling team is as good as it gets. They have mulitple state champions each year and have one kid who is one of the best in the entire country. Hunter middle school has won the county championship in Football, wrestling and baseball so may years in a row that I have lost track. So what happens? Most of the good kids go to OOltewah. Ypu think the OOltewah team is good now? wait until the freshman class is seniors. I gurantee they will be state champions. They all came through the Harrison rec leaugue except for a few. There are also a couple at baylor and Mccallie in that same age range. If you take the best 15 kids out of your feeder programs and 10 go to Ooltewah ,three to private schools and you get two of them then you arent going to be successful. Why is this happening? 1) The school is a dump with terrible facilities. ( I blame this partly on the administration constantly changing. There is no sense of ownership or pride in the school. 2) Constant coaching changes. 3) The kids dont know how to win nor do the expect to win. 4) Poor community support (do to the constant changes, poor facilities, losing records ect... 5) changing demographics within the community. Part of Harrison is as nice if not nicer than anywhere in hamilton county. The area around the lake and the state park is as pretty as anywhere in this town. the area immediately near the school is getting run down and some move furthr out or to oOltewah to avoisd this. * Basically anyone who is a good athlete is going to Ooltewah or a private school. look at Ooltewahs sudden rise in the caliber of their sports programs in the last few years. I can assure you a large portion of those kids grew up in harrison and came through our rec leagues. i know because I coached a lot of them.

I can give some first hand insight to this problem. I grew up in harrison, played at Central and now coach our youth leauges. First off I want to say there is no #1 reason Central is continually in the dumps. It is a multitude of reasons. One thing I can assure you that is not is the feeder programs. The Harrison rec program is one of the most successful programs in the state in all sports and has been for quite some time. Obviously it varys from year to year age group to age group but overall I would put it up against anyone. Only middle valley and east Brainard can compare and they are both twice the size. There are some phenomenal athletes there right now especially in the 9-10 year old age group. The football league has three teams in that age group and they are all undefetaed except when they have played each other. One team has only given up 12 points in 5 games this year. They have won or been runner up in the county every year for the last 5 years.The 9 year old baseball team won the state and was second in the World Series. (should be first do to rules viloations, but that is another story). In addition to this there are many good basketball players as well. The youth wrestling team is as good as it gets. They have mulitple state champions each year and have one kid who is one of the best in the entire country. Hunter middle school has won the county championship in Football, wrestling and baseball so may years in a row that I have lost track. So what happens? Most of the good kids go to OOltewah. Ypu think the OOltewah team is good now? wait until the freshman class is seniors. I gurantee they will be state champions. They all came through the Harrison rec leaugue except for a few. There are also a couple at baylor and Mccallie in that same age range. If you take the best 15 kids out of your feeder programs and 10 go to Ooltewah ,three to private schools and you get two of them then you arent going to be successful. Why is this happening? 1) The school is a dump with terrible facilities. ( I blame this partly on the administration constantly changing. There is no sense of ownership or pride in the school. 2) Constant coaching changes. 3) The kids dont know how to win nor do the expect to win. 4) Poor community support (do to the constant changes, poor facilities, losing records ect... 5) changing demographics within the community. Part of Harrison is as nice if not nicer than anywhere in hamilton county. The area around the lake and the state park is as pretty as anywhere in this town. the area immediately near the school is getting run down and some move furthr out or to oOltewah to avoisd this. * Basically anyone who is a good athlete is going to Ooltewah or a private school. look at Ooltewahs sudden rise in the caliber of their sports programs in the last few years. I can assure you a large portion of those kids grew up in harrison and came through our rec leagues. i know because I coached a lot of them.

Pretty good post, except I don't feel Ooltewah's success can be tied as much as you say to Harrison's youth program. Sure some kids have come through Harrison. But most come from Snowhill, East Brainerd and Ooltewah youth associations. Hunter and Ooltewah Middle schools have pretty much dominated middle school athletics for the past 7 or 8 years. If you had a kid zoned for Central what would you do? I can tell you I would move, send them to a private school, or whatever I had to do to keep them from attending Central High School. I thought the new football coach had them heading in the right direction after last year, but after watching and listening to several coaches during the Ooltewah game this year. I don't think so. Very disappointing, to say the least. I hope Ooltewah never plays them again.