can you wear face masks?

RHSKEEPER22

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think so. Unless they have changed the rules. 3 years ago my daughter broke her nose and tried to play with the facemask. The refs would not allow it. I even spoke with the TSSAA along with the coach and Principal, and they would not budge.

Give it a try, maybe they have changed the rules. Good Luck.

I don't think so. Unless they have changed the rules. 3 years ago my daughter broke her nose and tried to play with the facemask. The refs would not allow it. I even spoke with the TSSAA along with the coach and Principal, and they would not budge.

Give it a try, maybe they have changed the rules. Good Luck.

thanks. i was just wondering. i didnt think id be able to. but i really wasnt sure bc im a goalkeeper....thanks though

thanks. i was just wondering. i didnt think id be able to. but i really wasnt sure bc im a goalkeeper....thanks though

I wouldn't give up on this. The NFHS rules allow for a player to wear a protective face mask that is molded to the face with no protrusions. The player must have a facial injury and have a medical release signed by a physician. Players without a facial injury are not allowed to have this. Based on what you posted, you should have your coach and athletic director pursue this with the TSSAA. They probably don't know this is permissible.

Edited by chxian

Yes, you can play with an "approved, fitted" face mask. This was reviewed with the refs and coaches this year at the State's rules meeting. Get with your coach as he should have the info in the new rule book that came out this year. Good luck and get well soon.

Whitey is correct. I don't know if it is a new addition to this years rules, or just an ammendment, but face masks are allowed as he said.

what kind of face mask did you use?? i am also a goalkeeper and i also play softball. if an infielder is hit in the fce with a ball and a bone is broken, they have to wear a face mask but i have never heard of anyone wearing a face mask in soccer. i was just curious about what your face mask looked like.

i asked a friend who is a referee, and he said that this year face masks, like for basketball, are permitted. he told me that ill have to get it from a doctor. well if i get it from a doctor they'll have to specially form and order it. that will take too long. so i believe that i will play til it bleeds then pack my nose and go back in. idk what else to do. anybody know of anywhere to get a face mask. (not from a doctor)

i asked a friend who is a referee, and he said that this year face masks, like for basketball, are permitted. he told me that ill have to get it from a doctor. well if i get it from a doctor they'll have to specially form and order it. that will take too long. so i believe that i will play til it bleeds then pack my nose and go back in. idk what else to do. anybody know of anywhere to get a face mask. (not from a doctor)

do a Goole search for "nose guard". There are several online stores that sell them for around $30-$40. If you need one in a hurry, you can have it shipped via. next day air.

Also, check with sporting goods stores near you that sell basketball equipment. Those type of nose guards are fairly common in basketball. You might even try Wal-Mart, since one of the companies that makes nose guards is Mueller, and Wal-Mart sells some products from their line of equipment.