Let's hear it Alcoa fans..........

MLREB

Rankin is a great coach. Players and coaches have to get use to each other the first year or maybe even two. Eveyone is beatable on any given day and Alcoa is no different. You lost to Maryville. Whoop ti do da!!! You lost to Fulton. Whoop ti do da!!! These are both very good teams. Yes if Reid was still at Alcoa they may have won those games. Not because he is a better coach but because the players have been running his system for along time. You can't judge a coach in three games. Lets see who is complaining when Rankin brings another gold ball your way. Maybe not this year or next but I say soon. :o

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no way in you know what the the 2006 team is better than the 2005....

Quarterback: 2005, Joei was a four year starter and an All State QB

Running Backs: 2005, Duck was a D-1 running back, and also had Shiverdecker.

Receiver: 2005, Just having Brandon makes this an easy choice because he drew double teams that really opened it up for Kyrus and Brian.

Offensive Line: By far 2005, you can not replace Colton, Martin, and Drew. They all three started every game the last 3 years and allowed Duck and Shivy huge lanes to run through and Joei plenty of time to pass.

Defensive Line: By far 2005, this years defensive line is talented and fast, but not very big. Last years line had both blazing speed, talent, size and strength. Mark Avery was a beast, not to mention Brandon and Drew.

Linebackers: Even, last years group was a little bigger, but this years group is really really fast, Troy Hodge is going to develop into a great LB.

Secondary: Even, both units were very very solid.

Conservative play calling has been the biggest critique of Rankin, and I have been very guilty of this, but like I said earlier in the Maryville/Alcoa board, why would Rankin want to bring out everything in his playbook for non-region games?

how about to win.... i can tell you most Alcoa folks would rather beat Maryville than win the statechampionship

I agree with BCS-Fan, Rankin is a good coach and will do great things at Alcoa. Alcoa fans have to give the coach sometime and beating Maryville & Fulton are doable but still a tall order. Programs like those don’t lay down or read hyped up press written by those who don't know squat about HS football. Good teams know what it takes to win.

I am really tired of hearing about talent! HS kids, most anyway are average athletes who are taught skills to be competitive on the field. Rankin will win many games with Alcoa until he retires from coaching.

To me discipline is the great ingredient that Alcoa has needed for years and will they be a better football program because of it. 12-3 or 11-4 this year is still a winning season and is pretty good for any new Coach. Get behind him and you'll be glad you did in the end IMO.

Edited by FBEmeritus

Rankin is an outstanding coach. Reed's knowledge of football is incredible. Rankin is move conservative. I think that cost him last friday against Fulton. Reed was willing to go for more longballs and reverses. I havent seen one fade this year. With Reed he would throw it up and let the tall, athletic receviers go get it. If I had a Kyrus Lanxster at 6 foot 3 running a legit 4.4 and hops why not. But thats just not his style. Alcoa has a HUGE game in two weeks against McCallie and to win Alcoa is going to have to throw the ball more.

Im not critiquing Rankin at all, he is a great coach and a really nice guy, he was very supportive of me and baseball while he was at the school. He will do a lot of great things for Alcoa football. But what I am tired of is people saying how this years team is better than last. The 2005 team MIGHT be the best to come through Alcoa, MAYBE.

After watching the replay of the Fulton/Alcoa game last night, I don't think conservative play calling cost the Tornadoes.

Fulton's dominance on the D-Line was the deciding factor imo. Not being conservative enough on defense may have hurt the Tornadoes more imo, especially after Wagner came in at QB for the Falcons. Getting caught blitzing right before the half and giving up the TD on the screen to Rogan, like Coach Rankin said was a momentem changer. I believe Rogan's third TD run also caught the Tornadoes in another blitz and once Rogan broke the LOS he was into the secondary.

Different coach, different team, different scheme-give them a break plaaaaaeeeze! I still say that this is the making of a great football "program" at Alcoa, Rankin just needs to get his feet wet get use to his players a little more (and vice versa) if he sticks it out and sticks around I garantee that you will see Alcoa become a tried and true football dynasty-not just a talented few, but a very productive team who will begin to give any team at any level a run for their money and a few beat downs to boot! Alcoa will 3peat because they will gel as a team and fully buy into Rankin's program they will get bigger and stronger as the years go and the little school from blount county will be on the nation's tongue for years to come. Maryville and Alcoa will play a big part in putting Tennessee high school up there with the likes of Texas, Florida and others-it's already started just look at the play of Brandon Warren and Carl Stewart as well as the variety of teams recruiting from the area. This is a great time for Tennessee especially a little county called Blount!

how about to win.... i can tell you most Alcoa folks would rather beat Maryville than win the statechampionship

This is one Alcoa Folk that would rather have the State Championship won!!

As far as Coach Rankin as to Coach Reid how bout "Night and Day" Now this is totally my opinion and it probably doesn't amount to a hill of beans, but Coach Reid thought he was Coach of the Universe and he ruled the game of High School football with an iron fist and his assistant coaching staff were terrified of him (trust me I saw this first hand), He was the almighty football God...............Coach Rankin is a very fair Coach and I like him a lot. I'll see everybody down at the "Boro" in December :thumb:

Amen, VettaSue! I'd much rather have another gold ball than beat Murvul...that would just be icing on the cake!

The boys are really responding to Rankin and his style. I wasn't aware that the asst. coaches had issues with Reid (why can't people spell his name right???), but I know you know what you're talking about!

By the way, your boy is doing great this year! :thumb:

Amen, VettaSue! I'd much rather have another gold ball than beat Murvul...that would just be icing on the cake!

The boys are really responding to Rankin and his style. I wasn't aware that the asst. coaches had issues with Reid (why can't people spell his name right???), but I know you know what you're talking about!

By the way, your boy is doing great this year! ;)

I wouldn't call it issues, I just felt (IMO) they were scared of him, now who would like to work for someone they were scared of????

Thanks!!!