TSSAA rules

58Indians22

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know its a rule because I've seen it in action, twice!

You know even if it is a rule who cares!!!! If you look in a baseball,Basketball,Football, and all the other sports i can promise you there are going to be rules in there that do not get inforced!!!! Plus Imaowl is right in high school football there is no way that the offense is distacted by the band their mind is on the game and what their job is for the next play!!

Some of you guys on here are the biggest babies about things, i know when i played i loved it when the bands played they make it more exciting and without them its really not the same!!! GO OWLS!!!!!!!!!!!!

You know even if it is a rule who cares!!!! If you look in a baseball,Basketball,Football, and all the other sports i can promise you there are going to be rules in there that do not get inforced!!!! Plus Imaowl is right in high school football there is no way that the offense is distacted by the band their mind is on the game and what their job is for the next play!!

Some of you guys on here are the biggest babies about things, i know when i played i loved it when the bands played they make it more exciting and without them its really not the same!!! GO OWLS!!!!!!!!!!!!

The band playing while the opponent is trying to run a play, whether it bothers them or not, is bad sportsmanship. Am I even in the South? I thought we had that thing called "common courtesy"? I do not, for the life of me, understand how people are actually arguing that this is not bad sportsmanship. I am pretty sure a musical instrument is the definition of AN ARTIFICIAL NOISE MAKER. Those are not to be used at games to distract the teams. The band has a role at football games, and I didn't know crowd noise was one of its new functions. Hey, if so, let's do it right and hire out the local garage bands to come play in the end zone when the other team's on offense! No, let's not. Let's keep with tradition for once and use some common sense and...maybe some sportsmanship (gasp!). I am surprised at some of these things I've read on this topic.

sportsmanship- 1. fairness in following the rules of the game. 2. Conduct and attitude considered as befitting participants in sports, especially fair play, courtesy, striving spirit, and grace in losing.

The guys who wrote the definition were probably a babies too.

The band playing while the opponent is trying to run a play, whether it bothers them or not, is bad sportsmanship. Am I even in the South? I thought we had that thing called "common courtesy"? I do not, for the life of me, understand how people are actually arguing that this is not bad sportsmanship. I am pretty sure a musical instrument is the definition of AN ARTIFICIAL NOISE MAKER. Those are not to be used at games to distract the teams. The band has a role at football games, and I didn't know crowd noise was one of its new functions. Hey, if so, let's do it right and hire out the local garage bands to come play in the end zone when the other team's on offense! No, let's not. Let's keep with tradition for once and use some common sense and...maybe some sportsmanship (gasp!). I am surprised at some of these things I've read on this topic.

sportsmanship- 1. fairness in following the rules of the game. 2. Conduct and attitude considered as befitting participants in sports, especially fair play, courtesy, striving spirit, and grace in losing.

You are either: a) a woman using her husbands signin name, who doesn't really get the game of football or :thumb: a male cheerleader.

I've been to very few games that the bands (if they had one) didn't play when the other team was on offense. There is no rule anymore. If the refs did penalize...it was probably because they didn't know the rules. It only bothers me when our own band plays when we are on offense. :thumb: It's not bad sportsmanship...it adds to the high school football atmosphere.

Edited by Antwan

Thats part of football. Lets stop all of the band playing and cheering at the UT football games.... Distracts Floridas offense....

There are definitely rules in the NFL when the home team's music must stop. There are also rules in the NCAA covering this.

There are no clear-cut rules in the TSSAA.

That being said, be proud that you would have a band that A) would be there to support your team, :thumb: knew WHEN it would be most advantageous to play.

I've seen too many examples when the band would play the team's fight song when their team had the ball, broke the huddle, and was driving for a touchdown on about the 15 yard line-which was right where the band was seated! I've seen the QB motion to the band for quiet-which incited the other band (and fans) to crank it up even more. Or even worse, the band NOT showing up for a home playoff game-because they had a LOCAL competition the next day.

We've had a thread on bands before, so let's not go down the road of what role a band should play again.