TSSAA rules

58Indians22

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good question, I'd also like to know. I "believe" there is a rule against bands playing during game action, but I do not believe most TSSAA refs even try to enforce the rule, when they should.

For example: The Pearl Cohn band is fun to watch, but they played SEVERAL times while Sycamore was on offense running plays last night. That shouldn't fly. Personally I think it's very poor sportsmanship on the part of the band director, and refs should stop play and give warnings. If they do it again...BAM!...15 yard unsportsman-like penalty. That will stop it.

Also, the players do notice those things on the field if it gets loud enough. Players are not superhuman, and if the bands are loud- they will notice, believe me. If D-I players have a hard time dealing with noise during the game then you can bet your bottom dollar that high school kids, who aren't as used to noise, do even more.

Good question, I'd also like to know. I "believe" there is a rule against bands playing during game action, but I do not believe most TSSAA refs even try to enforce the rule, when they should.

For example: The Pearl Cohn band is fun to watch, but they played SEVERAL times while Sycamore was on offense running plays last night. That shouldn't fly. Personally I think it's very poor sportsmanship on the part of the band director, and refs should stop play and give warnings. If they do it again...BAM!...15 yard unsportsman-like penalty. That will stop it.

Also, the players do notice those things on the field if it gets loud enough. Players are not superhuman, and if the bands are loud- they will notice, believe me. If D-I players have a hard time dealing with noise during the game then you can bet your bottom dollar that high school kids, who aren't as used to noise, do even more.

believe me I have been there before. the only thing that is true is when you have to call an audible and high school games do not have 110 K fans sitting in bowl. They can hear just fine.

believe me I have been there before. the only thing that is true is when you have to call an audible and high school games do not have 110 K fans sitting in bowl. They can hear just fine.

It doesn't matter if they can hear or not. It's a TSSAA rule, and plain good sportsmanship. At the game I was at last night, the opposing band played while the ball was in play a couple of times, and at the end of the game, before the play and for a little bit while it was in progress played one note as loud as they could. That's against TSSAA rules and horrible sportsmanship.

It doesn't matter if they can hear or not. It's a TSSAA rule, and plain good sportsmanship. At the game I was at last night, the opposing band played while the ball was in play a couple of times, and at the end of the game, before the play and for a little bit while it was in progress played one note as loud as they could. That's against TSSAA rules and horrible sportsmanship.

While aiming their horns at the players on the field........They started as soon as the QB went under center and played that 1 note as loud as they could till the play was over. Then they would stop and wait till the QB came back under center and do it again. If the director told them to do that.....he shouldn't have a job.

No argument here about it being bad sportsmanship or the fact that the offensive players should be focused and play through it. But the question still is...is it still a rule or not? Our coach thinks the TSSAA removed the rule, but isn't sure. How can I find out?

If this is still the rule, can and should TSSAA officials direst the umpires to call the penalty? Do they have any authority over this?

Edited by 58Indians22

No argument here about it being bad sportsmanship or the fact that the offensive players should be focused and play through it. But the question still is...is it still a rule or not? Our coach thinks the TSSAA removed the rule, but isn't sure. How can I find out?

If this is still the rule, can and should TSSAA officials direst the umpires to call the penalty? Do they have any authority over this?

What was just described is indeed poor sportsmanship. The offended coach simply has to ask the refs to enforce the rule. Though I can't seem to find it online, I know it is there. As with anything, each reffing crew is allowed certain leeway in determining what is acceptable.

Edited by Robyn

Its called the 12th man! Thats home field advantange and should be part of the game. Go to a TN football game while TN is on defense that place is LOUD. That doesn't mean TN shows bad sportsman ship. Thats part of the game. Similar situation happened at Ooltewah 2 years ago when Farragut came to town. We had a "band warning" for playing while Farragut had the ball... I think thats stupid. Thats what home field advantage is. TSSAA better have changed that rule...

Its called the 12th man! Thats home field advantange and should be part of the game. Go to a TN football game while TN is on defense that place is LOUD. That doesn't mean TN shows bad sportsman ship. Thats part of the game. Similar situation happened at Ooltewah 2 years ago when Farragut came to town. We had a "band warning" for playing while Farragut had the ball... I think thats stupid. Thats what home field advantage is. TSSAA better have changed that rule...

It's not home field advantage. Any band can do it, we have had it done by the visiting band. When you are playing 4A and 5A ball, you can be talking about some pretty big bands that can make an impact. But yes, I also know that Union City and other smaller schools have large bands also.