TSSAA rules

58Indians22

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While aiming their horns at the players on the field........They started as soon as the QB went under center and played that 1 note as loud as they could till the play was over. Then they would stop and wait till the QB came back under center and do it again. If the director told them to do that.....he shouldn't have a job.

there is also a rule against hitting a player 3 yards out of bounds...they didnt call that either... quit cryin. you got beat. live with it,cause it wont be the last time you get beat :lol::lol::lol:

alot of assumptions here, can anyone say it is a rule by TSSAA? I am pretty sure it is a rule at basketball games. (which makes sense)

The game I was at, the bands played during the game. They played very loud when the other team was on offense.

If it is a rule, it wouldn't be hard to enforce. Give a warning to the coach and then penalize them on the next offense. The word will get to the band director pretty quick.

Back in the late 80s...I'm dating myself...when I played in the band we didn't play except during timeouts, end of quarters, after a score and at the end of the game. It was told to us it was a 15-yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty.

Thats the way it was in the early 90's too. I looked for the rule on the net but you have to order one of those stupid handbooks for 6.95. Guess I really need one anyways.

I have last year's version of the NFHS rule book. The non-contact unsportsmanlike conduct by nonplayers rule (rule 9, section 8, article 1) does not specifically mention bands or when they may or may not play during the course of the game. Examples are listed within the rules (for example, profanity, disrespecting a game official, unauthorized conferences, use of tobacco, etc) however the rule specifically states that penalties are not limited to the examples listed, so it's up to the discretion of the game officials.

There's nothing I can find at the TSSAA website that specifically addresses this either, so again, it appears that everything points back to the discretion of the game officials as to whether or not the band playing on would bring out the yellow hankies.

Hope this helps.

rule 9 section 9 art. 1...a player or nonplayer or person not subject to the rules shall not hinder play by an unfair act which has no specific rule coverage.

penalty: the referee enforces any penalty he considers equitable

that could cover it but no official worth his salt would ever call anything like that, in other words, like the song says, " and the band played on...."

the most extreme case would be that an official would say something to the head coach to have him put an end to it, and if he didn't or couldn't or was being a butt about it , the ref would probably hit him with an unsportsmanlike 15 yarder . now you have a lot of attention being paid to off the field happenings instead of what's happening on the field.

rule 9 section 9 art. 1...a player or nonplayer or person not subject to the rules shall not hinder play by an unfair act which has no specific rule coverage.

penalty: the referee enforces any penalty he considers equitable

that could cover it but no official worth his salt would ever call anything like that, in other words, like the song says, " and the band played on...."

the most extreme case would be that an official would say something to the head coach to have him put an end to it, and if he didn't or couldn't or was being a butt about it , the ref would probably hit him with an unsportsmanlike 15 yarder . now you have a lot of attention being paid to off the field happenings instead of what's happening on the field.

If this is the case, enforcing the rule would make the ref look biased and so basically it is a 'non-rule'. I just thought there was a rule that dealt with band playing specificly, but I guess not. To be honest, in some places the PA announcer is worses than the band.