TSSAA rules

58Indians22

If this is the case, enforcing the rule would make the ref look biased and so basically it is a 'non-rule'. I just thought there was a rule that dealt with band playing specificly, but I guess not. To be honest, in some places the PA announcer is worses than the band.

I don't think you can really do anything about the band playing. I've studied and studied the NFHS rule book, and I've never come across anything about the band playing or crowd noise. The TSSAA does have a rule against artificial noisemakers, but a band could hardly be considered artificial (unless they were all playing kazoos or something).

One example I know of where the artificial noisemaker rule was invoked was in a playoff game between Marshall County and Crockett County. Apparently, Marshall Co. has (or had) a train whistle that they brought with them to away games, and they sounded it for scores or other big plays. Apparently they were blowing it pretty much the whole time Crockett County was on offense. After a warning by the officials, they blew it again...and all five officials threw their flags in unison.

I think it is somewhat classless for a band to play while the ball is in play, though. The band should play during dead balls, timeouts, after scores and at halftime. But while the ball is in play, the main attraction should be the game.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good question, I'd also like to know. I "believe" there is a rule against bands playing during game action, but I do not believe most TSSAA refs even try to enforce the rule, when they should.

For example: The Pearl Cohn band is fun to watch, but they played SEVERAL times while Sycamore was on offense running plays last night. That shouldn't fly. Personally I think it's very poor sportsmanship on the part of the band director, and refs should stop play and give warnings. If they do it again...BAM!...15 yard unsportsman-like penalty. That will stop it.

Also, the players do notice those things on the field if it gets loud enough. Players are not superhuman, and if the bands are loud- they will notice, believe me. If D-I players have a hard time dealing with noise during the game then you can bet your bottom dollar that high school kids, who aren't as used to noise, do even more.

I cannot believe this! You and many others on here talking about how the band shouldn't play during play. UNBELIEVABLE!!! Unsportsmanlike? Classless? Seriously, it's football!!! Everyone knows the band plays when the other team has the ball. Someone said it right, it's part of the 12th man. Maybe we should tell anyone if they yell, that their team will be penalized. That is the beauty of a high school football game; packed stands with the crowd really getting into it, two very good bands battling for their team, two teams playing in a close hard fought game, etc. Period, that makes for a great high school football game. The problem is some schools don't take pride in their music department and their own schools' band don't contribute as the 12th man. Those schools that have lots of band members and that are good, should pride themselves on being able to help their team. And don't say that the bigger schools are the only one with good bands. "and the band plays on!" I like that. :D:D

I cannot believe this! You and many others on here talking about how the band shouldn't play during play. UNBELIEVABLE!!! Unsportsmanlike? Classless? Seriously, it's football!!! Everyone knows the band plays when the other team has the ball. Someone said it right, it's part of the 12th man. Maybe we should tell anyone if they yell, that their team will be penalized. That is the beauty of a high school football game; packed stands with the crowd really getting into it, two very good bands battling for their team, two teams playing in a close hard fought game, etc. Period, that makes for a great high school football game. The problem is some schools don't take pride in their music department and their own schools' band don't contribute as the 12th man. Those schools that have lots of band members and that are good, should pride themselves on being able to help their team. And don't say that the bigger schools are the only one with good bands. "and the band plays on!" I like that. :P:D

This is a rules post...you did not address the point of the post. Plus, I didn't say that the bigger schools were the only one with good bands...if you comprehended what you read you would realize this.

rule 9 section 9 art. 1...a player or nonplayer or person not subject to the rules shall not hinder play by an unfair act which has no specific rule coverage.

penalty: the referee enforces any penalty he considers equitable

this is the rule section that is used....

this rule is generally only enforced when a coach makes a complaint....

in other words, if the band is playing and the coaches don't care, then the officials generally will not say anything.....

however, if one does complain, the band is giving a "warning"......

most places i have been the band only plays during a dead ball.......

rule 9 section 9 art. 1...a player or nonplayer or person not subject to the rules shall not hinder play by an unfair act which has no specific rule coverage.

penalty: the referee enforces any penalty he considers equitable

that could cover it but no official worth his salt would ever call anything like that, in other words, like the song says, " and the band played on...."

the most extreme case would be that an official would say something to the head coach to have him put an end to it, and if he didn't or couldn't or was being a butt about it , the ref would probably hit him with an unsportsmanlike 15 yarder . now you have a lot of attention being paid to off the field happenings instead of what's happening on the field.

58Indians22:

mg answered your query using this rule reference as the way it is done during the game. I want to piggy-back on his comments with an actual game time occurrence. I am a Whitehaven fan, for those who don't know, Whitehaven is an 8-5A school in Memphis. We have a very large and loud "show band" that is loaded with talented musicians. Just think TSU or JSU type band. Anyway ... during a big game a few years ago, our band director had the band to play during the other team’s possessions during a crucial period in the game ... late 3rd quarter I think. The officials soon informed the head coach to do whatever he could to stop it, or the team would get penalized. By the time the word got to the band director ... the team got hit with a yellow hankie. Now ... there was bedlam in the home field stadium with chanting of "cheaters ... cheaters ... cheaters" ... but the field officials got their point across ... because the coaches jumped up and down and made sure the band DID NOT PLAY during the other teams possession. The average fan in the stands does not know that this rule exists ... nor does your average coach. Our coach didn't argue the point when his defense was tagged with a 15 yard penalty ... he adjusted to the man wearing the white cap in this instance. So ... tell your coach to get the attention of the man with the white cap and whisper in his ear that the opposing team's band can't do that, and let the officiating crew determine if the other team is gaining an unfair advantage.

I want to comment on the unsportsmanlike comments made earlier. Personally, I don't think it's unsportsmanlike at all. I think it comes with the game. Some schools do it, some don't. Most only play during breaks in play, after their team scores or after a turnover by the other team. That's why it's called HOME FIELD ADVANTAGE. It comes with the Friday night lights. That's part of the package. I use to love going into another teams house, with their band playing trying to disrupt our focus ... and we shut them up with our play. I bet my bottom dollar ... most young men today feel the same way I did when I played. I use to welcome the other teams band playing ... it was loud, you couldn't hear the QB sometimes ... it was great working through that type of adversity with my team mates. Our team did it and other teams did it to us ... that's what made playing high school football so GREAT! Of course, there are some who are reading this who don't agree. You were reared under a different way of thinking. I can respect that, but it doesn't make your way of looking at it any more right then the way I and others who think like me view it. It is all in how you were schooled and taught to play the game. If I am in a game, and the other team's coach complains about our band ... I'm cool if the ref enforces the rule and makes our band stop playing when the other team has the ball ... I think it's totally lame and that it stinks ... but I can roll with it. I on the other hand welcome the other teams band playing when I'm (my team) is on offense ... I think it makes for a better experience. When the game is over ... we walk off the field and shake hands, load the bus and go home ... win, lose, or draw ... I wouldn't change it for the world! In closing ... I think its part of the atmosphere ... its part of the Friday night experience. Your team is trying to score in the other teams backyard ... their band is trying to disrupt your teams focus ... and the young men on the field have to really concentrate and focus on the matter at hand with making an audible almost impossible. Man! Those were the days. I love it. Some of you hate it. We can agree to disagree on this one. Its all a matter of perspective and preference. Either you were reared to think it's part of the game or you were reared to think it's unsportsmanlike. Either way ... you have a way to deal with it one way or the other.

I said that to say this ... If you are a coach on the opposing team, and you think that the band playing during your teams possesion is unsportsmanlike. You are probably going to think bad about the other team's coach and consider him some type of jerk. In most instances ... he was reared different then you and it's just a part of the game to him. He's no more of a jerk then you are. How you handle this situation is up to you ... you can think ill of the guy and make all manner of degrading comments about him to your staff and to others around you, or you can handle it in a different fashion. That's just my opinion, take it for what its worth.

58Indians22:

mg answered your query using this rule reference as the way it is done during the game. I want to piggy-back on his comments with an actual game time occurrence. I am a Whitehaven fan, for those who don't know, Whitehaven is an 8-5A school in Memphis. We have a very large and loud "show band" that is loaded with talented musicians. Just think TSU or JSU type band. Anyway ... during a big game a few years ago, our band director had the band to play during the other team’s possessions during a crucial period in the game ... late 3rd quarter I think. The officials soon informed the head coach to do whatever he could to stop it, or the team would get penalized. By the time the word got to the band director ... the team got hit with a yellow hankie. Now ... there was bedlam in the home field stadium with chanting of "cheaters ... cheaters ... cheaters" ... but the field officials got their point across ... because the coaches jumped up and down and made sure the band DID NOT PLAY during the other teams possession. The average fan in the stands does not know that this rule exists ... nor does your average coach. Our coach didn't argue the point when his defense was tagged with a 15 yard penalty ... he adjusted to the man wearing the white cap in this instance. So ... tell your coach to get the attention of the man with the white cap and whisper in his ear that the opposing team's band can't do that, and let the officiating crew determine if the other team is gaining an unfair advantage.

I want to comment on the unsportsmanlike comments made earlier. Personally, I don't think it's unsportsmanlike at all. I think it comes with the game. Some schools do it, some don't. Most only play during breaks in play, after their team scores or after a turnover by the other team. That's why it's called HOME FIELD ADVANTAGE. It comes with the Friday night lights. That's part of the package. I use to love going into another teams house, with their band playing trying to disrupt our focus ... and we shut them up with our play. I bet my bottom dollar ... most young men today feel the same way I did when I played. I use to welcome the other teams band playing ... it was loud, you couldn't hear the QB sometimes ... it was great working through that type of adversity with my team mates. Our team did it and other teams did it to us ... that's what made playing high school football so GREAT! Of course, there are some who are reading this who don't agree. You were reared under a different way of thinking. I can respect that, but it doesn't make your way of looking at it any more right then the way I and others who think like me view it. It is all in how you were schooled and taught to play the game. If I am in a game, and the other team's coach complains about our band ... I'm cool if the ref enforces the rule and makes our band stop playing when the other team has the ball ... I think it's totally lame and that it stinks ... but I can roll with it. I on the other hand welcome the other teams band playing when I'm (my team) is on offense ... I think it makes for a better experience. When the game is over ... we walk off the field and shake hands, load the bus and go home ... win, lose, or draw ... I wouldn't change it for the world! In closing ... I think its part of the atmosphere ... its part of the Friday night experience. Your team is trying to score in the other teams backyard ... their band is trying to disrupt your teams focus ... and the young men on the field have to really concentrate and focus on the matter at hand with making an audible almost impossible. Man! Those were the days. I love it. Some of you hate it. We can agree to disagree on this one. Its all a matter of perspective and preference. Either you were reared to think it's part of the game or you were reared to think it's unsportsmanlike. Either way ... you have a way to deal with it one way or the other.

I said that to say this ... If you are a coach on the opposing team, and you think that the band playing during your teams possesion is unsportsmanlike. You are probably going to think bad about the other team's coach and consider him some type of jerk. In most instances ... he was reared different then you and it's just a part of the game to him. He's no more of a jerk then you are. How you handle this situation is up to you ... you can think ill of the guy and make all manner of degrading comments about him to your staff and to others around you, or you can handle it in a different fashion. That's just my opinion, take it for what its worth.

I think you said it all. One of the best post on here. Nothing else should be said after that!

Edited by ImaOWL

The reason I started this post was to enable me to better educate the fans at our ballgames. This was addressed in a booster club meeting in the past with the coach who said he believes it is no longer a rule. Plus, he added that it should be a nonfactor in the game, which I agree with. But since, we have fans who still want to complain about this situation. Our PA announcer has even asked the visiting band not to play while the ball is in play, stating that it is a TSSAA rule. I was just trying to find out if it is infact still a rule and the penalty so we could be better informed. Thank you.

58Indians22:

I really like this post. Excellent work!

The reason I started this post was to enable me to better educate the fans at our ballgames. This was addressed in a booster club meeting in the past with the coach who said he believes it is no longer a rule. Plus, he added that it should be a nonfactor in the game, which I agree with. But since, we have fans who still want to complain about this situation. Our PA announcer has even asked the visiting band not to play while the ball is in play, stating that it is a TSSAA rule. I was just trying to find out if it is infact still a rule and the penalty so we could be better informed. Thank you.

A good idea. It is telling that a board full of high school football "experts" -- certainly rabid fans -- doesn't know the answer. Could be that's why there's so much confusion.

If you do find the answer elsewhere, please post it!

58Indians22:

That is what I was trying to say, it just didn't come out that good. lol. Great post.