TSSAA rules

58Indians22

You are either: a) a woman using her husbands signin name, who doesn't really get the game of football or B) a male cheerleader

Soooo... let me get this straight....you are implying that a)Women don't get the game of football B) male cheerleaders are women

Do you also believe that a band instrument is NOT an artificial noisemaker? I mean really? You don't exactly find tubas growing on trees.

There are a couple of rules that can be applied in this situation and I have seen it done. All a coach has to do is complain. Most officials will warn the opposing coach if they think there is a problem. What is the big deal. Just tell the band to keep it down during play. A good band instructor should have already taught his band to play only during dead ball time anyway. This is one of those situations that can be used to teach these kids about sportsmanship and courtesy... after all, thats why we encourage participation in these activities, right? To build character, right?

If you want the band to be the 12th man, let them strap on the pads and get on the field... then they can really learn about sportsmanship.

Now in your defense...I am gonna let the woman thing pass... I can't ever recall hearing a losing coach complain "We could have won had it not been for that BAND".

Edited by barb

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HEY BARB!!!

I think your nuts to think that anybody goes to these high school games to build character and if there is a Principal, Teacher, or anybody who thinks that is crazy. People go to these games because they have nothing else to do or becasue they love football not to build character.. The band is only there for two reasons, because its tradition and it gives them a chance to get better.

I dont know if this is a rule or not but if it is a rule who cares its not getting inforced so it must not be that big of a deal....Just sit in the stands and have fun watching football and stop thinking about the little rules that arent being followed that arent happening on the feild!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I was in the band for four years and There is some kind of rule against playing at certain times but I'm not sure what it is . The team can get a penalty if the band plays at a certain time but I've never seen it infoced. I think the refs could care less. The whole thing about playing or not playing while a player is hurt is just good sportmenship and I have been in games where a player will be hurt and the other band would play ..I won;t mention any names. Anways Alot of parents get mad when the band isn't playing and get really testy .I've been in situations where the parents would yell of course it would be like cheerleading parent that want to see there kids dance but we can't control when we are suppose to play.

You know even if it is a rule who cares!!!! If you look in a baseball,Basketball,Football, and all the other sports i can promise you there are going to be rules in there that do not get inforced!!!! Plus Imaowl is right in high school football there is no way that the offense is distacted by the band their mind is on the game and what their job is for the next play!!

Some of you guys on here are the biggest babies about things, i know when i played i loved it when the bands played they make it more exciting and without them its really not the same!!! GO OWLS!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree as long as you don;t play while a player is hurt like Ooltewah does and you have respect the opposing team and their band like Ooltewah does not then you should be fine. Really I've never seen any band with less class then The marching hooters. I guess thats why their a joke at the band of AMerica competition and didn;t go back this year. I guess when it comes to band Money cant by you talent

CASCADE has the best new band in our area with lots of youthful energy ( KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK)

Voice of the Rockets. how long will you cry about this ?

This boils down to Forrest playing at home & Cascade bringing more

Fans & swinging the home field advantage to the visitors sideline.

YES, the band played on & off all night , but Cascade also played all night & if not for the 2nd half kickoff return for a TD the "unbeaten"

Rockets we totally dominated at HOME ! 27 - 7 ...

You probably shoulda told your players don't hit a QB 10 ft. out of bounds. That was the beginning of the end for the Rockets ~!!

Can somebody tell me why the TSSAA rule on offensive pass interference calls for 15 yards and loss of down? This is nuts compared to the NCAA and NFL penalties. I can be called for a spear, late hit, face mask, etc and not be penalized as badly as I can for a light push-off for seperation. TSSAA at its best I guess!!

I agree as long as you don;t play while a player is hurt like Ooltewah does and you have respect the opposing team and their band like Ooltewah does not then you should be fine. Really I've never seen any band with less class then The marching hooters. I guess thats why their a joke at the band of AMerica competition and didn;t go back this year. I guess when it comes to band Money cant by you talent

hahahah.... Central's band is horrible! You have nothing on Ooltewah's band. In fact nobody in the city of Chattanooga has anything on Ooltewah's band. Ooltewah has won many competitions unlike the puds... The only school to come close to Ooltewah is Ringgold!