Top keeper in the past 10 years? (Middle Tennessee)

RCola123

What was the name of the girl at Beech High School about 6 years ago. She was very athletic, not as technical as some, but more athletic than at least 99%. She played for Beech and Nic Konidis (sp?), but regrettably, I have forgotten her name.

Funny to run across this post or general topic for that matter so many years later.... my name is Leah Crews, I was a keeper at Beech H.S. under Nick Konidis from '97 to 2000. I went on to play for Georgetown College, an NAIA school in central KY. I'm now a club coach in the Lexington area and looking to start up a goalkeeping camp with the Lexington Football Club. I just can't get away from goalkeeping!! :thumb:

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cakes,

I will dispute with you that girls can't jump as I lean with Mjhub in that girls won't. Having trained many keepers, a lot of girls keepers are more restrained in diving that boys keepers. However those girls keepers that do, are the ones that we are discussing here, and it is that bit of difference that makes them shine.

SHS,

I was aware that Berigan was all-state. I know Smyrna had a great 2004 season in which her GAA was exceptional. My point was that I have worked with many top keepers and have gotten to see what I believe is a top keeper and what qualities they possess. In what I obsereved of her play, she was decent, but I would not put her up with the elite. Is it possible that each game I saw she was hurt, sick, etc? Yes. But, I find that unlikely. In my opinion, she blocked too many balls that she should have stuck. She did not communicate at all with the team. However, this is a trait that I find in a lot of girls keepers. They feel that they are being bossy and don't want to alienate their teammates when, in fact, the information the keeper provides is crucial to the success of the team. I thought Berigan was slow on balls on the floor and had to rely on her feet too much. And, I felt she gave up in some games when the oppotion got an unlucky goal or too instead of sweating it off and pulling the team back up.

On the positive, I thought she had decent positioning. I saw her make some great saves at times. And, I thought her distribution was not bad.

All in all, I stick by my opinion decent but not great.

Cakes,

I will dispute with you that girls can't jump as I lean with Mjhub in that girls won't. Having trained many keepers, a lot of girls keepers are more restrained in diving that boys keepers. However those girls keepers that do, are the ones that we are discussing here, and it is that bit of difference that makes them shine.

SHS,

I was aware that Berigan was all-state. I know Smyrna had a great 2004 season in which her GAA was exceptional. My point was that I have worked with many top keepers and have gotten to see what I believe is a top keeper and what qualities they possess. In what I obsereved of her play, she was decent, but I would not put her up with the elite. Is it possible that each game I saw she was hurt, sick, etc? Yes. But, I find that unlikely. In my opinion, she blocked too many balls that she should have stuck. She did not communicate at all with the team. However, this is a trait that I find in a lot of girls keepers. They feel that they are being bossy and don't want to alienate their teammates when, in fact, the information the keeper provides is crucial to the success of the team. I thought Berigan was slow on balls on the floor and had to rely on her feet too much. And, I felt she gave up in some games when the oppotion got an unlucky goal or too instead of sweating it off and pulling the team back up.

On the positive, I thought she had decent positioning. I saw her make some great saves at times. And, I thought her distribution was not bad.

All in all, I stick by my opinion decent but not great.

I understand what you mean about girls jumping. I think I was commenting more on height. If your goalie is short , she better be able to jump (I don't mean dive). I haven't seen too many short jumping goalies. Although ND seems to have one. A gk has to be able to defend the crossbar in high school soccer imo.

The only other thing I would say in your defense of your evaluation of Berigan is that she was state pool for ODP. That says to me that at best several ODP coaches felt there were 2 or 3 girls better in her age group. I do realize that ODP can be political sometimes, but if you excel they can't ignore you.

The only other thing I would say in your defense of your evaluation of Berigan is that she was state pool for ODP. That says to me that at best several ODP coaches felt there were 2 or 3 girls better in her age group. I do realize that ODP can be political sometimes, but if you excel they can't ignore you.

That is bunch of crap. She was much better than the rest but she did not have the money to buy out the coaches like the other ones did. She made herself be the goalie she was on her own and she deserves respect. No other girl goalie had a season like she did in 2004 with a 0.47 GPG (goals per game)

That is bunch of crap. She was much better than the rest but she did not have the money to buy out the coaches like the other ones did. She made herself be the goalie she was on her own and she deserves respect. No other girl goalie had a season like she did in 2004 with a 0.47 GPG (goals per game)

I asked in an earlier post if she is playing college soccer at Austin Peay as she signed with them in February. Either no one knows or they do not want to say?

Is Berigan playing college soccer? If so, where is she playing?

You can't "buy out " the ODP coaches. The parents aren't allowed much if any contact with the coaches, which the coaches love. The parents, needless to say, do not pay the ODP coaches anything, they pay the state. That was not a very respectful comment.

No one is saying she was a bad goalie, most are saying she was good. No one has been disrespectful about her as a player, just realistic. None but you are saying that she was the best ever in middle tn.

At this point it's more about people (coaches) who are fairly unbiased just disagreeing with you (a parent, I assume).

Again, is she playing in college somewhere ? I hope she is . If she liked playing that much and seemed to do well, then I'm sure there was somewhere for her to play. Is she at Austin Peay ?

You can't "buy out " the ODP coaches. The parents aren't allowed much if any contact with the coaches, which the coaches love. The parents, needless to say, do not pay the ODP coaches anything, they pay the state. That was not a very respectful comment.

No one is saying she was a bad goalie, most are saying she was good. No one has been disrespectful about her as a player, just realistic. None but you are saying that she was the best ever in middle tn.

At this point it's more about people (coaches) who are fairly unbiased just disagreeing with you (a parent, I assume).

Again, is she playing in college somewhere ? I hope she is . If she liked playing that much and seemed to do well, then I'm sure there was somewhere for her to play. Is she at Austin Peay ?

Experience on this board indicates that anytime you disagree with any aspect of the state or quality of soccer at SHS, you are immediately branded as lacking knowledge, mean spirited, or "on the take".

Experience on this board indicates that anytime you disagree with any aspect of the state or quality of soccer at SHS, you are immediately branded as lacking knowledge, mean spirited, or "on the take".

Yeah, I'm starting to pick up on that . I'll still post politely and try to be informative or ask decent questions.

I don't think I know what SHS stands for yet . Is it Siegel or Smyrna ?

ODP_ coaches don't get paid directly by the ODP parents, but almost all of them have club teams that pay them and you can't get away from some "special treatment" related to their club players or the club players of their buddies. most club coaches are going to want to see their ODP temas loaded from their clubs!I think it would be better if Tennessee provided Kentucky with ODP coaches and vice versa...taking a little of the club connection out of the selection process.... :thumb:

ODP_ coaches don't get paid directly by the ODP parents, but almost all of them have club teams that pay them and you can't get away from some "special treatment" related to their club players or the club players of their buddies. most club coaches are going to want to see their ODP temas loaded from their clubs!I think it would be better if Tennessee provided Kentucky with ODP coaches and vice versa...taking a little of the club connection out of the selection process.... :lol:

Sounds like a few parents have children who didn't make ODP. You might want to get your facts straight before you make a claim that "almost all of them [odp coaches] have club teams that pay them and you can't get away from some 'special treatment' related to thier club." While there are a few club coaches involved in ODP, there are probably more college coaches involved than club. Both the head and assistant coaches at MTSU, the head coach at ETSU, the head and assistant coaches at Vanderbilt, the head coach at Austin Peay, and the head coach at Ole Miss have all served at one point or another as coaches in the TN ODP program over the last several years. As far as I know, none of them coach club teams. According to the TN Soccer website, the ODP staff for '06-'07 (head and assistants) consists of 8 college coaches and 6 club coaches. Of the 6 club coaches, none of them are coaching a club team in the same age group as the one they are coaching for ODP. The reality is that the "top" players and the "bottom" players are easy to identify. It is the middle group that is the most difficult to sort out. And who ultimately gets chosen from that middle group could change from day to day. I'll get off of my soap box now...I just get annoyed with the whole "it's political" excuse for why someone's child didn't make "the team."

Sounds like a few parents have children who didn't make ODP. You might want to get your facts straight before you make a claim that "almost all of them [odp coaches] have club teams that pay them and you can't get away from some 'special treatment' related to thier club." While there are a few club coaches involved in ODP, there are probably more college coaches involved than club. Both the head and assistant coaches at MTSU, the head coach at ETSU, the head and assistant coaches at Vanderbilt, the head coach at Austin Peay, and the head coach at Ole Miss have all served at one point or another as coaches in the TN ODP program over the last several years. As far as I know, none of them coach club teams. According to the TN Soccer website, the ODP staff for '06-'07 (head and assistants) consists of 8 college coaches and 6 club coaches. Of the 6 club coaches, none of them are coaching a club team in the same age group as the one they are coaching for ODP. The reality is that the "top" players and the "bottom" players are easy to identify. It is the middle group that is the most difficult to sort out. And who ultimately gets chosen from that middle group could change from day to day. I'll get off of my soap box now...I just get annoyed with the whole "it's political" excuse for why someone's child didn't make "the team."

I'll state up front that I don't know much about ODP, but I'm curious about something. Is there any truth to the notion that players from Middle Tennessee have a greater likelyhood of getting picked than others in East or West Tennessee? I know you need to go where the talent it, and middle tennessee is certainly loaded with talent, but I've heard more than once that your chances of getting picked, all other things being equal, decrease the farther way from Nashville you live.