Interesting Acticle about the officating

BCsportsfan

They told them to get off the field prob because they didn't want anymore commotion to start. Were you close enough to see the Refs smile at the coaches? Just because a team has 11 penalities and the other team had 2 penalities doesn't mean it was a bad officiated game. Are both teams suppose to have the same amout of penalities? Here were the penalities in order...

Sideline warning, Ooltewah

PENALTY OWLS illegal procedure declined.

PENALTY GOVS Encroachment 1 yards to the GOVS1

Sideline warning, William Blount

PENALTY GOVS holding 19 yards to the GOVS46, NO Play

PENALTY GOVS holding (ANDERSON,Andrew) 9 yards to the OWLS29, NO Play

END OF 1st HALF

PENALTY GOVS personal foul 15 yards to the GOVS21.

PENALTY GOVS illegal procedure 5 yards to the GOVS16.

PENALTY OWLS illegal block (SHUMAKER,Ryne) 10 yards to the OWLS41.

PENALTY GOVS roughing passer 15 yards to the GOVS16,1ST DOWN OWLS.

PENALTY GOVS illegal procedure 5 yards to the OWLS29.

PENALTY GOVS Defensive holding 10 yards to the OWLS25, 1ST DOWN OWLS, NOPLAY.

PENALTY GOVS personal foul 15 yards to the OWLS46.

PENALTY GOVS Defensive holding 10 yards to the OWLS32, 1ST DOWN OWLS, NO PLAY.

PENALTY GOVS Encroachment 2 yards to the GOVS2.

PENALTY OWLS illegal procedure 5 yards to the GOVS7.

The only penality where I didn't see anything is in BOLD. I did not know what the personal foul was or who it was on. Ooltewah actually had 3 penalities 1 which was declined. The Defensive holding was obvious as the DB's were hanging on #6 in the 4th quarter. The personal foul on your #25 kicking our kid was obvious as was the roughing the passer. The Govs did have more penalities than the Owls but that doesn't mean officiating was bad... If it was that bad TSSAA will do something about it whenever your coach sends in the tape. Please tell me their response to the situation!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

PENALTY GOVS Encroachment 2 yards to the GOVS2.

PENALTY OWLS illegal procedure 5 yards to the GOVS7.

ImaOwl you fail to mention the motion in the line prior to the snap. The encroachment penalty should actually have been an illegal procedure penalty which would have backed it up 5 yards to the 9 and forced a field goal. That to is obvious on the film.

The illegal procedure penalty was on the extra point. Thanks but should have been called 3 plays earlier.

"The Defensive holding was obvious as the DB's were hanging on #6 in the 4th quarter."

The left tackle holding Darren Walker on each of the pass plays on the last drives were obvious as well but no call was made.

Nevertheless, Owls win, Govs don't. Nothing will change that. This could be debated forever and will not change one thing or one mind as to who is right and who is wrong.

After the game concerns me very much though. Regardless of where you stand on the issue and who you blame (both sides certainly blame the other and will continue to do so as long as this game is talked about), this is something that will tarnish high school football if it continues.

It was an amazing thing. The sun did come out on Saturday, and I was able to spend a great day on the golf course with my 9 year old son. Much more important things to dwell on than those things which we can do nothing about.

Have a great day.

haha nah ive grown up a huge Gator fan... i had 50+ kids at my house saturday night to watch the game projected on a big pull down screen in the front yard. The whole game, a group of Tennessee fans that were at my house, were in my face cheering and taunting. CHECKOUT WHAT I SAID BOUT THE SITUATION.....haha "NOPE, We was up by 3 on Ooltewah last night and look what happened." Next thing, theyre up by 10 in the 4th quarter, the Vol fans still continue to taunt and cheer. I told them the same thing, "We were up by 10 on Ooltewah last night." hah welp sure to come, HERE COME MY BELOVED GATORS to come back and take the GLORIOUS come form behind victory in Neyland. And from what i hear of course about the refs during our game friday night, my fellow Gator fans called the refs in Neyland "Ooltewah Refs!" haha but its all fun n games, Go Govs! Go Gators!

I'm a fan of neither team ... but I do remember the Ooltewah fans whining last year about the refs at WB.... even though WB had more penalties called on them than Ooltewah did . I just wonder what some of these Ooltewah fans with Halos over their heads right now would have done if the penalty count last year had been 11-2 against them ?? One can only imagine .... I'm sure Imaowl wouldn't be on here saying what a great officiated game it was !

11-2 is embarrassing ... you could call a penalty on both sides on every play if you looked close enough . Any former Refs on here trying to justify that big of a discrepancy is kidding themselves .

I'm a fan of neither team ... but I do remember the Ooltewah fans whining last year about the refs at WB.... even though WB had more penalties called on them than Ooltewah did . I just wonder what some of these Ooltewah fans with Halos over their heads right now would have done if the penalty count last year had been 11-2 against them ?? One can only imagine .... I'm sure Imaowl wouldn't be on here saying what a great officiated game it was !

11-2 is embarrassing ... you could call a penalty on both sides on every play if you looked close enough . Any former Refs on here trying to justify that big of a discrepancy is kidding themselves .

Well typically the penalty count means nothing. They could have called 11 meaningless penalties on Owls and put them in long situations and that still would not have negated the 29, 49 yard passes or the 50 yard run. Seems that one of the 2 penalties they called on the Owls brought back another 40-45 yard pass play that went down to about the 10 (block in the back). Penalty count means diddly it's the timing of the penalties and I don't remember any of the WB penalties negating 40-45 yard plays. Just look at the possesions and the outcomes of them (3 punts, 3 turnovers, 4 scores, 1 missed FG). Seems biggest problem WB had in game was stopping the pass, and the big plays.

Well typically the penalty count means nothing. They could have called 11 meaningless penalties on Owls and put them in long situations and that still would not have negated the 29, 49 yard passes or the 50 yard run. Seems that one of the 2 penalties they called on the Owls brought back another 40-45 yard pass play that went down to about the 10 (block in the back). Penalty count means diddly it's the timing of the penalties and I don't remember any of the WB penalties negating 40-45 yard plays. Just look at the possesions and the outcomes of them (3 punts, 3 turnovers, 4 scores, 1 missed FG). Seems biggest problem WB had in game was stopping the pass, and the big plays.

So Denlron ... reverse the situation totally ... you're at WB ... 11-2 penalties against you ... are you saying the same thing ? Be honest .

Always dangerous when you lead with this line but, "This is my final post on the matter." Whether you're a WB or Ooltewah supporter, if you were at the game you know in your heart of hearts that at least these three things are true:

1. There were people from both schools who's behavior after the game was out of line and these people shouldn't be used to judge either school completely. Both WB and Ooltewah have plenty of good, classy, friendly people supporting their programs.

2. If--and I strongly say it was--the officiating was "one-sided", you cast the blame on the incompetent officiating crew. You don't connect Ooltewah's players or coaches to the injustice that was done. I'm not sure why this officiating crew had it out for WB ... but anyone who watched the game and would be truly honest, knows that they did.

3. Both of these teams have a great chance to advance at least 2 or 3 rounds (and maybe more!) into the playoffs. Ooltewah needs to continue to work on this huge win and finish off the rest of the region and not have any letdowns. WB needs to pick themselves up, realize that it wasn't the referees that beat them and realize that they obviously can compete with (and defeat) any team they have left on their region schedule.

By the way, Ooltewah folks ... you put on a great homecoming. Very classy, nice cars, nice, modestly dressed young women representing your school. I don't necessarily like to be the opponent for other team's homecomings :):ph34r: ... but your's was a pleasure to watch. I understand we get to watch another homecoming this weekend at Maryville. :):) Sure would like to spoil one.

Always dangerous when you lead with this line but, "This is my final post on the matter." Whether you're a WB or Ooltewah supporter, if you were at the game you know in your heart of hearts that at least these three things are true:

1. There were people from both schools who's behavior after the game was out of line and these people shouldn't be used to judge either school completely. Both WB and Ooltewah have plenty of good, classy, friendly people supporting their programs.

2. If--and I strongly say it was--the officiating was "one-sided", you cast the blame on the incompetent officiating crew. You don't connect Ooltewah's players or coaches to the injustice that was done. I'm not sure why this officiating crew had it out for WB ... but anyone who watched the game and would be truly honest, knows that they did.

3. Both of these teams have a great chance to advance at least 2 or 3 rounds (and maybe more!) into the playoffs. Ooltewah needs to continue to work on this huge win and finish off the rest of the region and not have any letdowns. WB needs to pick themselves up, realize that it wasn't the referees that beat them and realize that they obviously can compete with (and defeat) any team they have left on their region schedule.

By the way, Ooltewah folks ... you put on a great homecoming. Very classy, nice cars, nice, modestly dressed young women representing your school. I don't necessarily like to be the opponent for other team's homecomings :D:D ... but your's was a pleasure to watch. I understand we get to watch another homecoming this weekend at Maryville. :):) Sure would like to spoil one.

Good luck with Maryville Gov great post.

I'm from Blount Co. but I was not at the game. However, one of my very good friends is the chaplain for the Ooltewah team. He was telling me about WB fans who were literally cursing him in the face. Totally inappropriate. As a native of Blount County, it embarrasses me that some WB fans would act in such a juvenile and childish way.