Maryville v. Knox Central

DCM

I got to thinking back over the last half dozen years at all the really good players that have played in this series. The number of D1 players has continued to grow over the years. Carl Stewart, Cassen Jackson, Gary Tucker, Cade Thompson, Lonas Seiber, AJ Nance, (Terence Scott next year, probably So Carolina), Baron Huber, Lee Smith. I may have missed some. This year, Maples and Maryville's big TE, Douglas. This doesnt even mention the kids that are playing division II or III. It also doesn't list all the players that are all region from these 2 teams every year. There are probably a dozen from each team that get some sort of post season recognition. This is why this game is so interesting for the fans and media. These two schools are not really rivals, but this game has taken on a life of its own.

Very good post and I agree. There are allot of kids at the D2 & 3 levels and many that could play but have choose not too.

I am glad CentralBoobcat has come back to the board, I was worried he would not pick his team to defeat the Reb's again this year.

Before the last time MHS beat the Catz Central Boobcat said this: "We will get the respect we deserve when we beat them finally. I hope and do believe that will happen this week. I really believe our QB will be the difference in this big game Central Bobcat".

Reb9, I'm very concerned about that wheel tax thing because we normall take three vehicles and some of the family go as well. Last year I had an old Army buddy in the stands with me from ALA! I do have a perminate MTSU Parking pass, it was cheaper to buy in 99 than to pay all those fees all these years.

I do expect central to play much better, I was really surpized the Catz did not pound an overated 5A Berden by 4-5 TD's! I am glad Central is in region 3-4A because these 10 win seasons seem to be getting too easy and they are always a tough game. I expect a hard fought game Friday and I hope the Rebels handle the ball better as well.

Last thing I wish Maryville would stay in 4A because there is little competion at the 5A level in East TN.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now it is Central week. Central Bobcat has crawled out from under a rok and graced us with his annual prediction. Sooner or later you are going to be correct with your prediction but I don't think it will be this year. Even Vanderbilt wins a big game about every 20 years!

By the way, we had a GREAT time in Murfreesboro last December and all the players love their rings. We got to see some old friends and have dinner with some of the people that we have met over the years.

I know how much you dislike Maryville so you should be happy that the Murfreesboro City Government has decided to put a wheel tax on all Blount County cars that use the city streets during the month of December. They think that they will not have to raise properity taxes for quite a while.

Rebel9

I think I did predict that Vandy would beat the Vols last year but that was easy. I also heard about the Rebs big game(scrimmage) in Oak Rdige this Summer heard you lost again which I also predicted and since DB drubbed the Cats you guys probably should stay in 4a although I believe you will be moving up next year if my info is correct and it usually always is.I do not dislike the Rebs at all you have to respect that kind of success no matter how it is attained.As far as a wheel tax goes for Blunt County cars a lot of counties could make a living off of just your coaches especially maybe the Halls area of Knox County if you know what I mean and you do. It is over Rebs the season will all come crashing down on you Friday night. Good Luck it will be a great game.Central Bobcat

I'm not going to make any predictions on this game, but I expect it to be a good game as usual.

One of the keys to the game that Central MUST do is eliminate the stupid penalites that they always seem to get. I'm not blaming officiating in any way....but it seems that whenever the Cats break a big play, there is always some stupid holding or block in the back penalty that negates the play. And that can be a HUGE momentum killer.

Just my thoughts.

Good luck to both teams but I'll be pulling for the Cats in this one. I for one know I'll be there early to get a seat. I'll be there so early that I'll even cheer on the guys that set-up the sidelines prior to the teams taking the field :blink:

Last thing I wish Maryville would stay in 4A because there is little competion at the 5A level in East TN.

Are you kidding me? Aside from Maryville, what 4a schools could compete with Oak Ridge, Dobyns Bennett, and Ooltewoh? I would love for Maryville to come to 5a because that would make things so much more interesting in 4a and 5a. It would still be tough to beat Maryville, but all 3 of these schools would compete with Maryville.

Are you kidding me? Aside from Maryville, what 4a schools could compete with Oak Ridge, Dobyns Bennett, and Ooltewoh? I would love for Maryville to come to 5a because that would make things so much more interesting in 4a and 5a. It would still be tough to beat Maryville, but all 3 of these schools would compete with Maryville.

Central for one could compete with any of them, likely Morristown West also, quite a few in west and middle could. Several of them could compete with Ooltewah. I agree Maryville moving up would make things more interesting. They are beatable though believe it or not even in 4A.

Edited by mhs

I think I did predict that Vandy would beat the Vols last year but that was easy. I also heard about the Rebs big game(scrimmage) in Oak Rdige this Summer heard you lost again which I also predicted and since DB drubbed the Cats you guys probably should stay in 4a although I believe you will be moving up next year if my info is correct and it usually always is.I do not dislike the Rebs at all you have to respect that kind of success no matter how it is attained.As far as a wheel tax goes for Blunt County cars a lot of counties could make a living off of just your coaches especially maybe the Halls area of Knox County if you know what I mean and you do. It is over Rebs the season will all come crashing down on you Friday night. Good Luck it will be a great game.Central Bobcat

C Bobcat I have made a living in the Hauls area. Great garbige customers and recruits out there. Many from Hauls didn't want the QB, "too slow, etc." By the way, Mairvul won the scrimmage at O.R. And a week later beat D.B. at Carson Newman.

Edited by STARSNBARS

I think Central's offensive inexperienced caught up with them. Bearden also exposed several weaknesses in the Bobcats defense. Maryvile is going to attack those weaknesses. Unable to cover man to man on the corners. This really makes Central an average defensive team. They have lived for the past several years on playing man and putting 8/9 in the box and making you throw corners were good enough to cover and the pass rush was all over the Q.B. before he could throw. Look for Maryvile exploit that weakness. Also Bearden showed you could run inside effectively. Try to beat Central to the corners and they will run you down. But if you can run between the tackles you can be very successful. What do you think Tank Baker will do if the Cats don't correct this problem.

On offense they must establish the run. They can't put the game on the shoulders of MacMillian. He is a good Q.B. but he can't carry the team. If Central can't run the ball first it will be a lot of 3 and outs for Central.

Central has been exposed for what they are a young average team. Their weaknesses have been exposed. Its on film for everyone to see. I look for the Coaches to go back to work and have the Cats well prepared for Maryville. But it won't be enough to overcome the Tennesse State All Stars. I do think it will be surprisingly close though.

Life after Maryville is even more important. There are two teams left that can handle the Cats. West and Powell. west is just as athletic if not more so at W.R. and with Powell running the veer they could also be dangerous.

Central needs to improve each weak from here on out and by play off time they could be a force.

I think Central's offensive inexperienced caught up with them. Bearden also exposed several weaknesses in the Bobcats defense. Maryvile is going to attack those weaknesses. Unable to cover man to man on the corners. This really makes Central an average defensive team. They have lived for the past several years on playing man and putting 8/9 in the box and making you throw corners were good enough to cover and the pass rush was all over the Q.B. before he could throw. Look for Maryvile exploit that weakness. Also Bearden showed you could run inside effectively. Try to beat Central to the corners and they will run you down. But if you can run between the tackles you can be very successful. What do you think Tank Baker will do if the Cats don't correct this problem.

On offense they must establish the run. They can't put the game on the shoulders of MacMillian. He is a good Q.B. but he can't carry the team. If Central can't run the ball first it will be a lot of 3 and outs for Central.

Central has been exposed for what they are a young average team. Their weaknesses have been exposed. Its on film for everyone to see. I look for the Coaches to go back to work and have the Cats well prepared for Maryville. But it won't be enough to overcome the Tennesse State All Stars. I do think it will be surprisingly close though.

Life after Maryville is even more important. There are two teams left that can handle the Cats. West and Powell. west is just as athletic if not more so at W.R. and with Powell running the veer they could also be dangerous.

Central needs to improve each weak from here on out and by play off time they could be a force.

Maryville , Oak Ridge , Dobyns Bennett , Ooltewah ..... what school just doesn't fit in here .... hmmm , I know , go to TSSAA and do a search on football championships . Shouldn't you actually at least play in a championship game before you start lumping a school in with 3 of the all time best programs in the state ?

So we are back to the OR / DB debate about who won the scrimmage game. You have worn that one out now for about 3 to 4 years. As for staying in 4-A, I would think that you would be the first one to want us to leave. Just think of the GOLD FOOTBALLS that Central might have won if Maryville had been playing 5-A the past few years.

Bobcat, we need to borrow a few of those RUNNER - UP region trophys that you have to prop up the divider walls in the locker room toilet. Could you bring one or two with you on Friday. We don't have a garbage truck scheduled to be in your area until November.

One more question, who is the next Central football player that will graduate from Powell?

Rebel9