Obion County vs Covington

volunteersn98

To Obion County - I'd like to commend your team for for their improvement over the last few years. Tonight's game was close again. I'm glad Covington was at home, because you guys have beat us the last two times at your place. We needed that home field advantage tonight.

The final score of 22-16 was again very close, and your offense is the first offense to score twice on our defense this year. We gave up two touchdowns before, but one was on special teams.

I really do not look forward to the possibility of meeting you again in the playoffs. Your team is better than Munford or Brighton, both 4A teams.

Best wishes the rest of the year.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was a great game. There were a couple of plays for central, that, if made, would have changed the outcome of the game. When playing against a team that is as athletic as Covington, you have to play mistake free football.

Kudos to Covington's play calling. That quarterback sneak was the last thing we were expecting, and it did the job. Number 12 has some wheels on him.

Central needs to keep their heads up. It was a very hard fought game. Time to shake it off and get ready for another big region game against Haywood Co. Good luck to both teams. I'm honestly hoping for a rematch come November.

To Obion County - I'd like to commend your team for for their improvement over the last few years. Tonight's game was close again. I'm glad Covington was at home, because you guys have beat us the last two times at your place. We needed that home field advantage tonight.

The final score of 22-16 was again very close, and your offense is the first offense to score twice on our defense this year. We gave up two touchdowns before, but one was on special teams.

I really do not look forward to the possibility of meeting you again in the playoffs. Your team is better than Munford or Brighton, both 4A teams.

Thanks for the compliment CHARGERFAN. All we're looking for is a little respect and for people to realize that we are not an automatic win on there schedule anymore. Best wishes to Covington next week agaisnt Dyersburg and we'll try to get back on track agaisnt Haywood.

It was a great game. There were a couple of plays for central, that, if made, would have changed the outcome of the game. When playing against a team that is as athletic as Covington, you have to play mistake free football.

Kudos to Covington's play calling. That quarterback sneak was the last thing we were expecting, and it did the job. Number 12 has some wheels on him.

Central needs to keep their heads up. It was a very hard fought game. Time to shake it off and get ready for another big region game against Haywood Co. Good luck to both teams. I'm honestly hoping for a rematch come November.

Pretty good game by both teams. Number 51 for Obion is a horse. Number 7 should sleep well as hard as he worked. Great speed by #1 also. Great job by the linebackers. I agree-both teams missed a few chances. Number 12 was pretty excited to play. He got knocked out of the game last year at your place. I did not expect Obion to punt that last time since they had played so loose all night long. Good luck-good chance to see a rematch!

The Rebels played their guts out tonite...No other way to put it....OC had the opening kickoff returned for a TD,except for a Covington player alertly sticking his hand out and stripping the ball away as our return guy was going past him..OC had the Chargers on their heels in the first quarter and should have been ahead if not for a turnover and a couple of penalties....OC came out with a wrinkle on defense that stopped Gude and Hall...They were basically non-factors...The qb for Covington was the man for Covington...Two TD runs and a back-breaking TD pass in the 4th quarter when the score was tied at 8 with a little over 7 minutes to go in the game....The TD pass was on a 4th and 12 situation....OC had it's chances and played to the end...Covington recovered an onside kick with a little over a minute to play.....The Charger defense is very quick...They are smallish but very quick...OC has to pick up the pieces from this heartbreaker and get ready for another excellent defense when they face the Tomcats from Haywood Co in Troy next Friday.....Good luck to Covington the rest of the season..... :lol:

CHARGERFAN...Thanks for the compliments....Our guys read this and will appreciate it....Covington is a class program,a winning program...They did the little things tonite that made the difference and came away with a very hard fought victory....

The Rebels played their guts out tonite...No other way to put it....OC had the opening kickoff returned for a TD,except for a Covington player alertly sticking his hand out and stripping the ball away as our return guy was going past him..OC had the Chargers on their heels in the first quarter and should have been ahead if not for a turnover and a couple of penalties....OC came out with a wrinkle on defense that stopped Gude and Hall...They were basically non-factors...The qb for Covington was the man for Covington...Two TD runs and a back-breaking TD pass in the 4th quarter when the score was tied at 8 with a little over 7 minutes to go in the game....The TD pass was on a 4th and 12 situation....OC had it's chances and played to the end...Covington recovered an onside kick with a little over a minute to play.....The Charger defense is very quick...They are smallish but very quick...OC has to pick up the pieces from this heartbreaker and get ready for another excellent defense when they face the Tomcats from Haywood Co in Troy next Friday.....Good luck to Covington the rest of the season..... :lol:

CHARGERFAN...Thanks for the compliments....Our guys read this and will appreciate it....Covington is a class program,a winning program...They did the little things tonite that made the difference and came away with a very hard fought victory....

Like you said at the game backinthaoc, it gets tiring playing so well and still coming up short. But,one of these days we're gonna get over that hump.

Like you said at the game backinthaoc, it gets tiring playing so well and still coming up short. But,one of these days we're gonna get over that hump.

rebfan.....While I agree, it's hard to lose a game you could or should have won, Covington is a great football program, year in and year out. I talked last week about the Rebs looking for respect, and to be considered in the top tier of teams in this region, and even though OC dropped this HARD FOUGHT game to the Chargers, I think the Rebel program gained some respect. I can remeber when a game with Covington, or Ripley, or Dyersburg on the OC schedule was one that was written off as a loss. Those days seem to be gone. Coach and his fine staff have made great strides in turning OC into a good program, not just a team that might have a good year. While you never like to lose, I think the Rebels did gain some more respect last night. Great job OC, and hats off to Covington, as usual the Chargers are a solid club.

GO REBELS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you look at this game, OC could have won the contest, but Covington made plays when they had too, and came away with a hard fought victory. OC did put the ball on the ground more than normal, but I thought stood toe-to-toe with the number 4 ranked team in 3A in the state. The total offense numbers were close, Covington 278 total, OC 262 total. I thought other than two big running plays by Hoskins, OC did a good job on defense. Again while the loss is hard to take, The Rebels will rebound this week at home and get Haywood Co. Hey it's a TOUGH region, but OC is still in a position to make waves in the play-off picture.

as always...........

GO REBELS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the kind words.....Covington is always a solid club, and this year is no different. OC is making progress toward being a quality team and program. This was a good high school football game.

Good luck thru the rest of your season.

GO REBELS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rebfan.....While I agree, it's hard to lose a game you could or should have won, Covington is a great football program, year in and year out. I talked last week about the Rebs looking for respect, and to be considered in the top tier of teams in this region, and even though OC dropped this HARD FOUGHT game to the Chargers, I think the Rebel program gained some respect. I can remeber when a game with Covington, or Ripley, or Dyersburg on the OC schedule was one that was written off as a loss. Those days seem to be gone. Coach and his fine staff have made great strides in turning OC into a good program, not just a team that might have a good year. While you never like to lose, I think the Rebels did gain some more respect last night. Great job OC, and hats off to Covington, as usual the Chargers are a solid club.

GO REBELS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

VOREBS....You know me, rebfan65 and cradd4 are sitting there at half and the Rebels are losing 8-0 and we are wondering,how are we losing??...The Chargers had one play in that first half,a 70 yard run by Hoskins...The Rebels would have a couple good plays then lay the ball on the field and then get a penalty....I think had Calhoun returned that opening kickoff,things might have been different...I commented at the time that when the Rebs lay it on the ground,it just seems to snowball and it did in the first half.....The backbreaker was that 4th and 12 pass for a TD.....Had the Rebs held and got the ball with a little over 7 mins left,they could have at least run some clock and maybe even put a drive together like the last one when they passed their way down the field..I think the Rebs would have even had the advantage in an OT situation,because the Covington kicker looked shakey at best...We were almost in FG position when we had that drive down around the Covington 25 when the score was tied at 8 in the 4th...A couple of penalties killed that however...I was a little surprised at punting there at the end,but I can understand the thinking..The defense had a few three and outs and I guess coach thought we could get another one...But with only one timeout,it was going to be tough..But when you fake a punt on your own goalline down 8-0 I would have thought the Rebs would have gone for it at mid-field.....I know Covington folks may point to the fact they had a TD called back for holding,but it was an obvious hold out in the open field and the refs had to call it...They may have gotten away with one also on Hoskins' long TD run,but that's neither here nor there..I left the field last nite thinking we should have won the game...Covington has better athletes at almost every position and should beat a team like OC by a few scores...But you can't measure grit,determination and heart and these Rebs have it in spades....They gave a great account of themselves and will win one of these type games on the road and I think it will be this year....I also think a difference in this years team and maybe some Rebel teams of old is they are not into moral victories and are very upset with themselves and they believe they should have won...So,it's back to practice,there were no injuries,we passed the six game mark and we still have Grady,so all isn't lost and we still got a whole lot to play for.....

VOREBS....You know me, rebfan65 and cradd4 are sitting there at half and the Rebels are losing 8-0 and we are wondering,how are we losing??...The Chargers had one play in that first half,a 70 yard run by Hoskins...The Rebels would have a couple good plays then lay the ball on the field and then get a penalty....I think had Calhoun returned that opening kickoff,things might have been different...I commented at the time that when the Rebs lay it on the ground,it just seems to snowball and it did in the first half.....The backbreaker was that 4th and 12 pass for a TD.....Had the Rebs held and got the ball with a little over 7 mins left,they could have at least run some clock and maybe even put a drive together like the last one when they passed their way down the field..I think the Rebs would have even had the advantage in an OT situation,because the Covington kicker looked shakey at best...We were almost in FG position when we had that drive down around the Covington 25 when the score was tied at 8 in the 4th...A couple of penalties killed that however...I was a little surprised at punting there at the end,but I can understand the thinking..The defense had a few three and outs and I guess coach thought we could get another one...But with only one timeout,it was going to be tough..But when you fake a punt on your own goalline down 8-0 I would have thought the Rebs would have gone for it at mid-field.....I know Covington folks may point to the fact they had a TD called back for holding,but it was an obvious hold out in the open field and the refs had to call it...They may have gotten away with one also on Hoskins' long TD run,but that's neither here nor there..I left the field last nite thinking we should have won the game...Covington has better athletes at almost every position and should beat a team like OC by a few scores...But you can't measure grit,determination and heart and these Rebs have it in spades....They gave a great account of themselves and will win one of these type games on the road and I think it will be this year....I also think a difference in this years team and maybe some Rebel teams of old is they are not into moral victories and are very upset with themselves and they believe they should have won...So,it's back to practice,there were no injuries,we passed the six game mark and we still have Grady,so all isn't lost and we still got a whole lot to play for.....

I know what you mean...at the half we were talking about the fact the all the numbers were in OC's favor, even with the long run by Hoskins. While I don't think much of a "moral victory" either, as I said earlier, the Rebs I think come out of this game with RESPECT, and that respect is only gonna grow, as this team and this program continues to improve.

GO REBELS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!