Obion County vs Covington

volunteersn98

The Covington defense is the strength of the Charger team this year. I believe they set the tone for the year against Brighton. The Cardinals had the ball second and goal at the two yard line, and were unable to get into the end zone in three tries. That is a prime example of how strong the D is for the Chargers this year. However, I do remember that Obion County has given us fits with their option attack in the past. Let's see what the coaching staff can do with it this year.

The Covington offense is not scoring as much as in the past, but we have been able to score enough to come out on top in all 5 games so far.

Obion County is a worthy opponent, and I am looking forward to seeing how they match up on Friday Night. I'd like to welcome all of our visitors to Tipton County. Come down and eat some BBQ with us and let's have a great game.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Covington defense is the strength of the Charger team this year. I believe they set the tone for the year against Brighton. The Cardinals had the ball second and goal at the two yard line, and were unable to get into the end zone in three tries. That is a prime example of how strong the D is for the Chargers this year. However, I do remember that Obion County has given us fits with their option attack in the past. Let's see what the coaching staff can do with it this year.

The Covington offense is not scoring as much as in the past, but we have been able to score enough to come out on top in all 5 games so far.

Obion County is a worthy opponent, and I am looking forward to seeing how they match up on Friday Night. I'd like to welcome all of our visitors to Tipton County. Come down and eat some BBQ with us and let's have a great game.

This one should be a good one. Both teams have great squads. Obion with that option rips holes in opposing defenses. Covingtons defense is allowing only 7 points per game, lowest in the region. This one is gonna be a barn burner and i wish both teams the best of luck. Hope there are no injuries and to Covington..........go ahead and mark October 20th on ur calenders because you guys are in for the game of ur lives.

With both teams coming off impressive wins, who wins this matchup?

I think Covington's defense is going to need to come up big to stop the OC offense. After seeing some of the stats OC is putting up, things should get interesting in Covington next week. Covington offense better have a few plays OC has not seen. The last few years OC has stopped Covington's offense from doing to much damage.

I think Covington wins this one 20-7.

Go Chargers!!!!

The OC by 6

The OC coaching staff is focused for the game. Coach Bowling didn't schedule a JV or Freshman game this week you hear it alot "No distractions Covingtion week". It sure to be a good one. OC by 13

GO REBS!!!

This game has been close for the past four years!! No team should win by more than ten points! I just hope OC comes out on top! Good luck guys!!! OC by three

Covington's defense is flat out outstanding. They are extremely disciplined, they read their keys, and they attack with speed and athleticism. Their tackles get too much penetration. They're offense is explosive and can go the distance at any time. I Haven't seen OC but I expect Covington to win this one handily. They are just too good.

Covington's defense is flat out outstanding. They are extremely disciplined, they read their keys, and they attack with speed and athleticism. Their tackles get too much penetration. They're offense is explosive and can go the distance at any time. I Haven't seen OC but I expect Covington to win this one handily. They are just too good.

If you haven't seen OC yet, you shouldn't make comments about how handily they will be beaten. Can Covington win this game handily? Absolutely. But for whatever reason, our guys really get up for Covington and not only think they can win, but expect to. The last four years have been outstanding between these two teams and I don't expect anything different this time. Here's what the last four years have looked like.

2002- Covington 21 OC 13 OC lead 13-7 going into the fourth before Covington scored twice to pull out the victory.

2003 OC 14 Covington 7 Covington's first loss in 7-3A in seven years.

2004 Covington 33 OC 27 OC had the ball at midfield at the end of the game, but ran out of time.

2005 OC 17 Covington 7 Covington was ranked #1 in 3A.

Covington's defense, and offense is always good, this is a good program year in and year out. But before you write off any chance that the Rebs might have, you need to see them play. OC is finally starting to build a PROGRAM, not just have a good season now and then. Coach and his staff have done a GREAT job of bringing this around. And now OC has to take the next step, to put themselves in the upper tier of teams in the region. Friday night is one of the chances the Rebs have to take that step. Overlook them if you want, but I'll still go with OC in a close one over a VERY good Covington team.

GO REBELS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Covington's defense is getting better each week. Seems that is a Jay Murphee signature. Same thing happened last year. They keep adding variations to the wing on offense. I have watched all of the past Obion County games and do expect a close game. Have a lot of respect for what they have accomplished against Covington. Not many teams can claim a 2-2 with Covington. I only see one weak link with Covington this season and that has been the PAT's. I worry that a missed extra point or missed try for 2 will cost them before the season is over. Have a lot of good friends up in Obion County and look forward to you folks coming down to Covington. See you Friday.

I don't know this for sure..if you know enlighten me....Covington does have a good defense...They always have a good defense....But what offense have they been stopping....Teams that run a Power-I???...A west Coast style offense??..Pro-Style???...Have they faced the triple-option,mid-line veer style offense???...The thing about quick,athletic defenses is they rely on quickness and aggressiveness....I would never in a million years thought a team like Air Force could dominate a defense like Tennessee's..Tennessee doesn't see that type of offense and is almost impossible to stop with one week to prepare for it...Obion Central runs a similar style offense to the one Air Force runs and,they can pass out of it...They don't have any one guy to key on...You have to play disciplined,assignment football...It's tough for college kids to defend it and it's extremely difficult for high school kids to defend it....This group of Rebels have been running it for 4 years now...And this group of Rebels is better than the four previous Rebels teams that have taken the field against Covington....Covington does not strike fear in the Rebels' hearts like it does some teams that haven't beaten the Chargers in years...Like rebfan said,these guys don't just believe they can beat Covington,they know they can..With a win Friday nite these guys could go 3-1 vs Covington in their careers.......What Obion Central will have to do is keep Covington from getting big play after big play,like Crockett Co did and Dyer Co...Don't turn the ball over and force Covington into turnovers...The two years they beat Covington,that's how they won...