Mo-East vs. Mo-West

randy3116

What happens on the varsity level has very little to do with the Freshmen or JV team. Look at it this way: East Ridge, most of Meadowview, and part of Lincoln feed East. West View and Lincoln feed West. For the most part the only schools with winning teams were Lincoln and Meadowview. I know, as does everyone else, there are quality athletes at East Ridge and West View. The point being that East has a greater chance of getting qualilty athletes from the middle schools than West. Also, East has a larger student population, which should translate into larger teams, but does not.

The main difference is coaching. I am not saying East has not had good or even great coaches. I mean everyone at West has bought into the Don Woods system, the fans, the supporters, the students, and the players. Everyone believes in the team and their ability and they have not disappointed us in many years. When the same people buy into the East program and the numbers reach the West level, then East will be the program they can be and be a rival for the region championship.

For an example, I look at the baseball program at East. Doug Rines has made a difference to that team. He is getting the quality athletes to play and is making them better. East is a big headache to all the teams they face on the Diamond.

I hope that Hatcher has the same effect on the football program. There is no doubt in my mind that Morristown could handle two region powerhouses and I would love to see one of us beat Maryville and go to state.

Good points. Rines is a good coach, but so was coach Tom Griffin, now at Carson Newman. Hope Rines stays around to continue building the program.

Football has to do the same. Problem is their revolving door policy of coaches. No coach has been at the school recently long enough to turn the program around. You do not do it overnight in most cases unless you are blessed with an enormous amount of good athletes at the same time.

It is also not just the head man, but the assistants are also important. When you change head coaches the assistants are also often replaced. You can't build with constant change.

BTW I am a Cane fan but also realistic. I'll say 28-21 West, but hope I'm wrong. :thumb: Hopefully no more injuries. Those last week were scary.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good points. Rines is a good coach, but so was coach Tom Griffin, now at Carson Newman. Hope Rines stays around to continue building the program.

Football has to do the same. Problem is their revolving door policy of coaches. No coach has been at the school recently long enough to turn the program around. You do not do it overnight in most cases unless you are blessed with an enormous amount of good athletes at the same time.

It is also not just the head man, but the assistants are also important. When you change head coaches the assistants are also often replaced. You can't build with constant change.

BTW I am a Cane fan but also realistic. I'll say 28-21 West, but hope I'm wrong. :lol: Hopefully no more injuries. Those last week were scary.

Very True. The head coach can't do it all by himself. That's why West has been so good. They have very good assistant coaches that care about the kids

It seems, that most people miss what I was trying to get across. Looking a the

last 8 years for both Morristown High School, Morristown West has had a better

run. The reason is good players and good coaching. I think the worst freshman

football team West has had went 4-4. Over a eight year run, Morristown West

has gotten the better athletes going to their school. I am not saying that East dosen't have any athletes,

Just not enought. Coach Woods has coaches these

players up and he been able to get almost 100 players out. Balance of power is

changing. The best athletes now live on the Eastside of town. East High has been

up & down the last few years. Changing coaches every 3 year has not helped.

I hate to be the one to say it, but we just didn't have enought athletes to play

with west each year. That is not coaching, if you only have few good players and they must play bothways.

We now have a very good Coach in Mr. Hatcher ( we

plan on keeping him more than 3 years) This is the 1st year I can remember

that East has no-one playing bothways. East is very young this year, but this maybe the most talent East has had.

More talent is coming next year from East freshman team. We will see friday night if we have closed the talent gap.

GO CANES!

Edited by BIGR35

has gotten the better athletes going to their school. I am not saying that East dosen't have any athletes,

changing. The best athletes now live on the Eastside of town. East High has been

I hate to be the one to say it, but we just didn't have enought athletes to play

with west each year. That is not coaching, if you only have few good players and they must play bothways.

that East has no-one playing bothways. East is very young this year, but this maybe the most talent East has had.

More talent is coming next year from East freshman team. We will see friday night if we have closed the talent gap.

GO CANES!

Friday night will not be the determination (WIN or LOSE) of closing the gap. East always gets up and plays West better than anyone else on their schedule. Emotion will make this years game much closer (aided a little by the increase in talent/numbers on the East side). However, the winner/loser of the game will have to play their remaining schedule to prove who they are in this region. And then the games for the money start.

You will see if you have closed the gap when the playoffs start and East makes it past the first round (and yes I believe you will be in the playoffs).

GO CANES!

The balance has only shifted towards West's favor during the last 10 years where the Trojans have gone 7-3 (I think that's correct) during that time. Before that, the series is virtually even. If the coaches' revolving door can be stopped at East, I see the series going back to a more even status. I really want to see the day come when both West & East are routinely at the top of the standings when the playoffs start.

Come one, come all, but come early tomorrow night because Burke-Toney's gonna be rockin!! :thumb:

ROLL TROJANS!!!

The balance has only shifted towards West's favor during the last 10 years where the Trojans have gone 7-3 (I think that's correct) during that time. Before that, the series is virtually even. If the coaches' revolving door can be stopped at East, I see the series going back to a more even status. I really want to see the day come when both West & East are routinely at the top of the standings when the playoffs start.

Come one, come all, but come early tomorrow night because Burke-Toney's gonna be rockin!! :D

ROLL TROJANS!!!

Yeah!! West 1 and East 2. :thumb:

I cannot believe this topic has not generated more interest than this. The Boone / Cocke game has seven pages. Amazing that we have only three.

Yeah but most of those pages are dedicated to the status of Boone's program not Cocke Co. nor the game.

Important 2 week road stretch for the Trojans with games against East & Boone. Winner tonight continues toward the region championship although I can see a 6-1 team taking the crown this year. It is critical that West's offense stop the turnovers and the defense stop the penalties. Both almost cost us the game last week.

SEE YA AT BURKE-TONEY. ROLL TROJANS!!

So today is the day... I heard they cancelled the Freshman game last night to preserve the field.It's going to be a close one, I'm tellin ya, a new package to get #1 the ball in space will be nice. If #38 for the canes can hold on to the ball this evening, we are in business. See you fellas at Burke-Toney..... Good luck to all of the kids out there, make a name for yourself out there tonight... Lets get'em CANES!!!!

UPDATED PREDICTION

EAST - 24

WEST - 17

24-17 is not a bad prediction because as we all know when it comes to the East/ West game (in any sport) it is usually closer than what the talent would normally make it. However, I think this game will be close in the first half for sure, but the second half West should pull away because of the numbers, and also West is really good at tiring out opposing defenses with their style of offense.

West- 35

East- 14