Region 3-5A

Phoenix

With Cumberland Co. leaving the region after this year going to 3A what will happen to the region will the vacancy be open until re alignment or will the TSSAA throw in a 4A school like White Co. or Tullahoma to help even out the already small region? or will they move another 5A school into the Region?

Keep in mind White Co. and Tullahoma would have to petition to move up.

Edited by Phoenix27

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With Cumberland Co. leaving the region after this year going to 3A what will happen to the region will the vacancy be open until re alignment or will the TSSAA throw in a 4A school like White Co. or Tullahoma to help even out the already small region? or will they move another 5A school into the Region?

Keep in mind White Co. and Tullahoma would have to petition to move up.

White Co. and Tullahom are bonkers for not moving up. Gate from some of the schools they have to play has to be pathetic. There is no guarentee that they would join region 3. White Co. would probably be a lock, but Tullahoma might end up going with chatanooga or Williamson co. Either way, it would probably force a major alignment shift in middle tn.

I also forgot that Mt Juliet will be coming up. That could push Region 4 to 9 teams without a change.

Edited by beethoven

White Co. and Tullahom are bonkers for not moving up. Gate from some of the schools they have to play has to be pathetic. There is no guarentee that they would join region 3. White Co. would probably be a lock, but Tullahoma might end up going with chatanooga or Williamson co. Either way, it would probably force a major alignment shift in middle tn.

I also forgot that Mt Juliet will be coming up. That could push Region 4 to 9 teams without a change.

Tullahoma would be the logical choice if they did move up. Tullahoma is in the middle of the triangle between Coffee County High School, Franklin County High School, and Lincoln County High School. That would make good gates for all of those teams, a lot less traveling (with gas being as high as it is would be another monetary gain), and would renew some old neighborhood rivalries that go back the the District 8 days. I much rather drive to Tullahoma every other year as Crossville or Sparta, and I am sure they all feel the same way.

ep in mind White Co. and Tullahoma would have to petition to move up.

To my understanding Cumberland County will not be moving anywhere. Unfortunately! According to AD at CCHS they will continue to be in 5A. even though CCHS lost half of student body to new SMHS. Tough place to be in for the JETS!

To my understanding Cumberland County will not be moving anywhere. Unfortunately! According to AD at CCHS they will continue to be in 5A. even though CCHS lost half of student body to new SMHS. Tough place to be in for the JETS!

Is this the AD's decision or will this be the decision of the TSSAA.

this is a quote from the TSSAA website.

"In 2004, Classification was set for four years 2005-2006, 2006-2007, 2007-2008,2008-2009. At the end of the first two-year period of a new classification period, new schools can be added and schools whose enrollment had an increase or decrease by 20% will be moved, provided the increase or decrease moves them into another classification."

Maybe I am just reading it wrong.

Edited by Phoenix27

Tullahoma would be the logical choice if they did move up. Tullahoma is in the middle of the triangle between Coffee County High School, Franklin County High School, and Lincoln County High School. That would make good gates for all of those teams, a lot less traveling (with gas being as high as it is would be another monetary gain), and would renew some old neighborhood rivalries that go back the the District 8 days. I much rather drive to Tullahoma every other year as Crossville or Sparta, and I am sure they all feel the same way.

To get to Cookeville you have to drive through White Co. Unless you go another way. That I don't know of.

I wouldn't mind if Tullahoma and White Co. would be in the Region. White Co. drove to Nashville for a couple of years and now they are driving to the Chattanooga Area Schools. Tullahoma seems to like 3-5A because so far they are undefeated agaist the teams they have played.

To get to Cookeville you have to drive through White Co. Unless you go another way. That I don't know of.

I wouldn't mind if Tullahoma and White Co. would be in the Region. White Co. drove to Nashville for a couple of years and now they are driving to the Chattanooga Area Schools. Tullahoma seems to like 3-5A because so far they are undefeated agaist the teams they have played.

True, but the have played what many consider to be the bottom half of the region, although they would already be qualified for the playoffs regardless of how they would do against Cookeville or LC this year. Tullahoma vs. Lincoln County was always a good gate for the home team every year.

Mt Juliet may get put into Region 5-5A with Davidson/Sumner, just to keep Region 4 from getting any bigger.

I think we'll see a major shake up every where the next time the move schools around. There is way too much growth in Murfreesboro and Franklin. It won't be long before Rutherford and Williamson each have a county-only region. It's pretty close to that now.

True, but the have played what many consider to be the bottom half of the region, although they would already be qualified for the playoffs regardless of how they would do against Cookeville or LC this year. Tullahoma vs. Lincoln County was always a good gate for the home team every year.

I talked to a couple of C.C. coaches last year at the pit when we played them at the end of the year, and they told me that even though they would probably qualify for 4A, they would stay in 5A, because they were sure that if they moved down, the TSSAA would put them in Maryville's region, and they wouldn't be any better off by doing that. That might not be the case now but, it is what they told me week 10 last year.

Walker Valley and possibly Rhea moving up to 5A in a couple years may play into this. It could possibly push Rhea or Soddy to 3-5A. What will the new Apison high school scheduled to open in 2008 in the Brainard area of Chattanooga do also? It should be 5A. It's being built to relieve overcrowding at Ooltewah according to News chanel 9 in Chattanooga.

There appears to be some misunderstanding. For the record,

the TSSAA doesn't "move" anyone up. The individual school

makes that decision.

There is more to high school than gate receipts. Tullahoma

will not move up. They can compete on a state level as

a 4A team, which is how they are classified. If they move

up, they will never have the opportunity to compete on a

state level.

Soddy would be a natural team to put in this region, but

the TSSAA appears to resist that idea.