Is it recruiting?

The Bull

I would like to look at this quote:

"As far as the small privates located near metro areas, there is an advantage to a school that can expand their zones beyond a few miles when compard to the small rural schools with limited populations when competing in athletics. Small rural schools have let's say 150 boys in their school. Whereas small private schools can look further when seeking to enroll boys in their school. The radius surrounding their school may encompass several counties as opposed to the rural public school only drawing from one community.

Does The Bull need to say more?"

Again, your point is only valid if (1) The small privates are intentionally recruiting athletes and (2) Expanding a zone means more available students. The first simply isn't true and the second might or might not be true based on tuition costs and the community's ability/will to pay that cost.

My original message simply refuted the assumption(s) behind your point. If the assumptions are false then so is the conclusion that follows. Thus, you will need to say more...how can you show that wider = better if the small privates don't go recruit better athletes? How will you show that wider = more available if the small privates have to charge tuition that roughly equals an additional house payment for each student?

If a small private school offers a sport to a student of a public school in which the sport is not offered and the student plays one season or more, then is it recruiting if the student enrolls in the school the next year?

You know I'm going somewhere with this.

Edited by The Bull

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If a small private school offers a sport to a student of a public school in which the sport is not offered and the student plays one season or more, then is it recruiting if the student enrolls in the school the next year?

Are you saying that the student first plays one season, without enrolling?

Heh, I figure you're going somewhere but I'm lost on the question. Do you mean that the student played for the private while enrolled in the public??

It would have had to have been cleared by the TSSAA prior to their participation. It is possible that it was approved if their school did not offer the sport in question. Check to see if it was done. Otherwise they are all ineligible and the school would be facing more problems than they want.

The schools that these students attended did not offer football to these students. The private school saw this as an opportunity to approach these students to play for their football team. The students in question were not in high school at the time, yet some are players on the private school's team in which they are now enrolled.

TSSAA may be aware of the issue.

Is there anyone outside of this private school that knows of the situation?

Edited by The Bull

You are being too cryptic in your langauage, which

is understandable.

It must be a very small private school you are

talking about, right?

The schools that these students attended did not offer football to these students. The private school saw this as an opportunity to approach these students to play for their football team. The students in question were not in high school at the time, yet some are players on the private school's team in which they are now enrolled.

It is my understanding that if you want to play at another school (a school which offers a sprot that your present school does not have) then the TSSAA has to approve that school for you to play there...For example the MLK kids that want to play football play football at Hillsboro....don't think they can just pick any school to play for. As far as transferring to that school in the following year? I would think that would be a violation.

It is my understanding that if you want to play at another school (a school which offers a sprot that your present school does not have) then the TSSAA has to approve that school for you to play there...For example the MLK kids that want to play football play football at Hillsboro....don't think they can just pick any school to play for. As far as transferring to that school in the following year? I would think that would be a violation.

It would not be a violation because they established a record of participation in football at that private school. They would be eligible (in football) the next year if they transferred to the private school. They would not be eligible in any other sport they participated in at their previous school (say basketball) because their record of participation would be at their public school. Like you said, this is all provided that the TSSAA approved the co-op. The private school cannot just go to those kids and say c'mon and play. It must be approved ahead of time.

In Metro, East Literature co-ops with Stratford in football. It used to co-op with Hume Fogg in softball, but they are starting their own program this year. Girls that played for Hume Fogg last year will be eligible to play for East Lit this year since they didn't have a team last year. Likewise, those same girls MUST play for East Lit instead of Hume Fogg to be eligible.

MLK co-ops with Hillsboro for football, Hume Fogg co-ops with Hillwood for football, and the School of the Arts co-ops with someone for every sport (although that doesn't mean a whole lot).