Multiplier article

Bighurt

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Now CPA, DCA, Ezell-Harding and FRA find themselves in Class 2A, facing off against schools with enrollments twice as large as their own — and this in a sport in which depth is always critical. In 2005 the quartet of private academies fared reasonably well. DCA and Ezell-Harding both made the playoffs, and CPA finished 5-6 and just missed out on the postseason."

None of these schools have depth problems. 9 to 10 offensive players come off and 9-10 defenseive players go in. 11 kids on kick-off that play neither offense nor defense. Punt team has 2 starters on it.

Thats not 100% correct, but in most of the games I've seen these teams play it was.

So, I don't think depth is a major problem for them.

"This is Season Two for the so-called multiplier, the calculus implemented in 2005"

So-called and calculus show the the writer's bias. It's not the TSSAA's fault that some of them can't catch up to Goodpasture. As for competing for students, it's supposed to be whoever comes through the door. I've said this probably 50 times on here, but a Division II, three-class system with all the private schools in it would cut out so many problems on both sides. For volleyball, baseball, etc, cut it to two classes if travel during the weekdays causes a problem.

Thats not 100% correct, but in most of the games I've seen these teams play it was.

So, I don't think depth is a major problem for them.

It is not 100% correct and you must not have seen all of these teams play if you think it was in most of the games you have seen them play, as you state in your post.

As noted in the article, FRA has 35 players on its squad. Thirteen are 9th graders. FRA has at least 7 and more often 9 players who play both ways virtually the entire game. If you think that when the ball changes hands 9-10 offensive players come off the field and 9-10 defensive players come off the FRA bench to go in and replace them, you either have not been to one of their games or you are being otherwise distracted when the ball changes hands. Their depth problem highlights the fallacy of the 1.8 multiplier. It is based on the assumption that all private schools are able to attract ( or as some of the proponents of the split would argue, are able to recruit-----that dirty word again ) enough good football players that one of their kids is equal to almost two (1.8) public school kids. Depth is, and as long as the multiplier remains in effect will be, an issue for some of the smaller co-ed private schools in D-I. The article is accurate in that respect.

"This season, however, only CPA (3-1) appears to be on a certain course for the playoffs. DCA (3-2), Ezell-Harding (2-2) and FRA (1-3) all have faced difficulties. While some of these struggles might be attributed to natural fluctuations in levels of talent and experience, one cannot discount the effects of competing against larger schools whose football teams in many cases boast much larger rosters."

let me begin by saying that i object to the multiplier for the very reason that it assumes all private schools are the same.

let me end by saying i equally object to biased, misleading reporting.

i believe that the above paragraph clearly purports that the losses on these team's records can be attributed to playing larger 2-a schools....

the truth is, CPA lost to MBA

DCA lost to CPA and Davidson Academy

Ezell Harding lost to Harding Academy, Friendship Academy, and Fairview

FRA lost to Goodpasture, DCA, and Eagleville (1A)

so out of 9 losses, 7 were to other privates, 1 was to a 1-A school and

EXACTLY ONE loss was to a 2-A school.

let me say that i do not think a strong case is made by essentially lying.

It is not 100% correct and you must not have seen all of these teams play if you think it was in most of the games you have seen them play, as you state in your post.

Clearly I said "most of the games I've seen these teams play "

I'm not saying all these, I'm talking about DCA and CPA, and not this year 2000- 2004.

As noted in the article, FRA has 35 players on its squad. Thirteen are 9th graders. FRA has at least 7 and more often 9 players who play both ways virtually the entire game.

The argument we have always heard is that privates play the kids who are already in school, have been there since the first grade. Where are they, suddenly? Did they all leave after the 2004 season?

The argument we have always heard is that privates play the kids who are already in school, have been there since the first grade. Where are they, suddenly? Did they all leave after the 2004 season?

The kids are still at the schools but the problems are many:

1. Today's dollar does not go as far as it did even five years ago and many parents can no longer afford to send their kids to private schools. These same parents often times move to other counties to get away from the Metro school system and in a system that is good but does not cost them other than paying their taxes. Let's not forget that tuition is paid for with after tax dollars.

2. Most of these private school offer many more sports than the small public schools that they compete against which dilutes the talent pool. How many small public schools offer the following sports: cross country, LAX, bowling, wrestling, track, swimming & diving, soccer, and ice hockey in addition to football, basketball and baseball. Most small rual public schools don't even offer Track & Field in the Spring.

Edited by cbg

It is unfair to the kids at the private schools, the whole T$$AA multiplier system is arbitrary with private schools having no say.....I smell another law suite that T$$AA has no chance of winning.

Plus what is the message T$$AA is sending, oh you can't beat them, because they have some talent, or some wealth, or some parents that get involved, or smaller class sizes, or better test scores, or kids that are motivated. Quit crying, Quit blamming everyone else for lack of success. Life is unfair, there will never be a level playing field for everyone, rich city schools, private schools, magnet schools, all have advantages over rural schools.

So lets go back to the way it was, quit making excuses, and lets see some good competition and not this water downed crap we see on most fridays 5 to 8 classifications with top 4 going to the playoffs is weak.