REGION 7-3A PREVIEW

Region 7-3A stays amongst friends this week...Every team but Crockett Co have key region match-ups to prepare for...Some could solidify their playoff spots,some could move into better position and some could play their way out...The region is 19-4 overall against outside competition and have three teams ranked in the AP Top Ten....#3 Crockett Co...#4 Covington and #10 Dyersburg..Crockett Co will look to up the region's record to 20-4 with a win over Manassas.....

Here's a first look at region action for Friday Oct. 6th............

#3(6-0 3-0)CROCKETT CO.CAVALIERS vs. (1-6)MANASSAS TIGERS...........

This a mis-match with a capital "M"...The Cavs have been serving one drink and one drink only at the local Alamo saloon....Shut-Up Juice on the rocks....This bunch is rolling.And Manassas??..Well,they are not very good....1-6 on the season with losses already to Haywood Co(33-0) and Ripley(34-0)...I don't see them scoring against CC either....The Cavs will threaten the 62-0 win margin they had against Oakhaven earlier in the year...Crockett Co wins in a laugher...

#10(5-1 2-1)DYERSBURG TROJANS @ #4(6-0 2-0)COVINGTON CHARGERS.......

Dyersburg failed in their first big test on the road this year when Crockett Co snapped the region win streak of the Trojans in Alamo 28-14...Dyersburg is a big and fast team...They are experienced,used to winning....This Covington team has won 45 of their last 48 region games..The losses??..Two to Obion Co Central and last year to Dyersburg.....Covington is tough to beat at home....I saw Covington this past week and I left thinking you know if OC had a couple more athletes they could have won this game...Well,Dyersburg has those athletes..Dyersburg will go on the road and win this game.....In a very close one...Trojans win....

(4-2 0-2)RIPLEY TIGERS @ (3-3 1-2)DYER CO. CHOCTAWS................

Dyer Co hit a high when they were 3-0 and ranked in the state....That seems long ago now....The Choctaws are pretty much set up to wind up at 4-6...The Halls game will be the only one where they will be favored....Ripley has a 4-2 record but have lost to region heavyweights Dyersburg and Crockett Co....Although a Choctaw win is not impossible,I don't believe they have enough to beat the Tigers...A loss by Ripley would be disastrous and would knock them out of the playoffs with a game still left with Covington who they don't beat very often..The Tigers will venture up Hwy 51 and get that first region win.....Tigers win

(1-5 0-2)HAYWOOD CO. TOMCATS @ (4-2 1-2)OBION CO.CENTRAL REBELS.....

The Rebels are coming off a heartbreaking loss in Covington(22-16).This is the biggest game of the year for OC....A win and they will have two wins in the region...Three will be the magic number....OC moved the ball at times against a Covington defense that had not allowed more than 1 TD in a game all year....The Rebels D played their best game of the year against a quality opponent,holding the high powered Chargers to less than 280 total yards.....They will face another big,strong athletic defense again when the Tomcats roll into Troy...This Haywood team has been an enigma this season...They have as much talent as any team in this region,yet are 1-5 with a loss to Dyer Co....They only scored 7 points against that pourous Choctaw defense...They haven't been scoring much anyway and have been leaving it up to their defense to win games....Any team with a D-I athlete(Alex Watkins)is dangerous...I have said they will reach up and bite someone in the butt and ruin a season...I don't think it will be this week...This is the only team since Darren Bowling has been at OC to absolutely shut down the Rebel offense.....The main cog of that defense(#31 Dishon Robinson) won't be on the field Friday night and Obion Central will return to the victory column....Rebels win...

Edited by backinthaoc

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

backintha.....I'll have to say that is one of your best ones. See you at the Rebel Bowl Thursday night. The Rebel Bowl, Lake Road vs Ridgemont will be broadcast on 104.9 KYTN. I'm looking forward to it.

GO REBELS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by VOREBS

Winners for this week include: Crockett Co., Ripley, Covington, Obion Co

Ripley is too big for Dyer County. Covington is too physical for Dyersburg, especially at home, Obion Co. is a disicplined well coached football team and Haywood will not be able to stop the option and oh yea, Crockett is playing Manassas, they should be ashamed of themselves, and by the way, how many teams have now bought Manassas for the year?

Ripley is too big for Dyer County. Covington is too physical for Dyersburg, especially at home, Obion Co. is a disicplined well coached football team and Haywood will not be able to stop the option and oh yea, Crockett is playing Manassas, they should be ashamed of themselves, and by the way, how many teams have now bought Manassas for the year?

Maybe you should try knowing all of the facts before spouting off. Crockett County planned to drop Manassas a few years back, and Manassas requested staying on the schedule. Besides the obvious payday, they appreciated the way their players were treated by our fans and booster club.

covington isnt too physical for dyersburg, you havn't seen dyersburg play have you? covington may be alot of things that may win the game for them but i grant you that it wont be because they are too physical for the trojans. I have seen both play and they are balanced as any two teams in the region. both have great running backs, both teams have good speed. i would have to say the trojans have size on their side if that matters, dyersburg also have beasly and tetldon who are d 1 prospects playing the line... should be a great game hope you can make this one

"Covington is too physical for Dyersburg...." What is the basis for this claim? Have you seen either team play? I have seen all of Dyersburg's games--in person and on tape--and all of Covington's games on tape--including about 5 hours of tape yesterday. Covington is probably the least physical team in 7 3-A, other than Dyer County. They are overall small, and very quick, very well coached, and with some very quick, darting backs and a line that comes off the ball real well. I've heard Covington called a lot of things, but a "physical" team is a designation I have not heard.