DB Indians Host Sevier Co.

ArtVandalay

How are SCHS special teams?? What kind of punting average? Field Goals/Extra points? Who returns kickoffs and punts? DB's special teams have played very well. Is this a big advantage for the Indians?

Unfortunately for us our special teams are not really all that special. Our punter averages anywhere between 30-40 yards a kick with the occasional shank. We have missed two extra point kicks and hit our only FG attempt which was from 35 yards out. We will not beat anyone on a FG of any length. On kickoffs Coach Brewer will have our kicker pooch the ball high and relatively short to force an upback to field it (maybe get a fumble) and also to guard against the long return. Field the ball cleanly and you should expect pretty good field position around the 35 yard line on average (I don't agree with this philosophy but I ain't the coach ;) ) Our kickoff and punt return coverage teams have been mediocre to fair with a few long returns given up.

Despite pretty good speed our return teams have not faired much better then our kicking units. Tyler Thomas and Daniel Cotter share kick off return duties and while not bad they just haven't broken anything really long the entire season. Corey Watson handles the punt returns and has been the lone bright spot of our special teams with two punt returns for TD's and several other nice runs.

DB definitley has the advantage in the special teams department.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The lastest weather forcast looks promising as it appears the rain will be moved out of the area by Friday so it looks like we won't have a repeat of the '05 monsoon game.

It also looks like cooler weather is returning which could pay dividends for us on two different fronts. It will help us since we are not as deep as DB and the cooler temperatures will also bring an end to this "Indian" summer heatwave that we have been experiencing lately. :thumb:

SC better play harder than last friday or it will be a long night. They also can not afford the slow starts that have plagued them all year except Karns. The do have plenty of big play ability. The team stats from knoxnews are nowhere near correct. SC is averaging well over 200 yds rushing a game and between 75-100 passing.

Watson played poorly last week then sat out the 2nd half against CCHS (I know why but I don't think I will say but it was not a disciplinary action and not an injury to arms, legs etc...)

No prediction to make as I honestly don't know what to expect.

SPECIAL TEAMS

DB has a real weapon in Mickey Alley. Graham Clark may feel confident in sending him out for a 50 ydr.. (I've never said that about a DB Kicker), he has made from 45 with 10 yards to spare. Sevier County can consider itself lucky if they get 1 Kick-off that is returnable... that is, more than likely all Kick-offs will be in the end zone. One thing.. DB's punter, his name escapes me, is slow from the reciept of the snap to getting it to his foot... he punts fine, sometimes very good... and we have not had a punt blocked this season. There is a first time for everything and I would not be shocked to see a blocked punt by the Smokey Bears. If I had to point to 1 area for improvement, it would be the Punt Team.

Thankfully, the Indians have had little worries so far with Punting.

Good To Great

Roll Tribe Roll

Giddy Up!!

It will be interesting to see what D-B does with Sevier Co. IF the Bears don't give D-B turnovers. Hmm . . .

Or prevents DB from "forcing" turnovers, as is usually the case.

It seems like the SC fans are pointing out several weaknesses on the SC team. I'm not seeing much weakness on the DB side. What are our biggest weaknesses anyway?

Sounds like they have a good team, sort of like we had a good team last year.

But I think some of you DB fans are too conservative on the point spread in your predictions. You have to get through our D to score and that is a monumental task this year. This won't be a romp like we had in several games. Something more on the order of the point spread we experienced with OakRidge. But a hard fought game only throught the 1st half.

If our offense keeps improving as it has thus far, it still could be a blowout.

Let's hear it for a "injury free" game :thumb:

SPECIAL TEAMS

DB has a real weapon in Mickey Alley. Graham Clark may feel confident in sending him out for a 50 ydr.. (I've never said that about a DB Kicker), he has made from 45 with 10 yards to spare. Sevier County can consider itself lucky if they get 1 Kick-off that is returnable... that is, more than likely all Kick-offs will be in the end zone. One thing.. DB's punter, his name escapes me, is slow from the reciept of the snap to getting it to his foot... he punts fine, sometimes very good... and we have not had a punt blocked this season. There is a first time for everything and I would not be shocked to see a blocked punt by the Smokey Bears. If I had to point to 1 area for improvement, it would be the Punt Team.

Good To Great

Roll Tribe Roll

Giddy Up!!

What do you think the chances are that Mickey would be good enough to roll a kickoff to inside the 10 yard line, perhaps 5, rather than into the zone? It would have to be low and well placed to miss their receiver.

SPECIAL TEAMS

Good To Great

Roll Tribe Roll

Giddy Up!!

his name is thomas odom... and if he feels the kick is about to be blocked he can kick it like a soccer ball... he used to be a goalie

his name is thomas odom... and if he feels the kick is about to be blocked he can kick it like a soccer ball... he used to be a goalie

Thank you, yes ... Thomas Odom... a good punter. I bet he gets that "feeling" this week.

DBGRAD70.. I would rather our D start at the 20, but you make a valid point.. a returnable kick-off means we can pin them inside the 20. I bet they kick it deep every time though.

Good To Great

Roll Tribe Roll

Giddy Up!!

Edited by ArtVandalay