Big 9 confrence

32-34combo

Well, The Big Nine is going to have a HUGE gap between the top level teams and the lower teams.... Science Hill or whoever is at the top will have a pretty darn good team, but the teams at the bottom would have trouble in single A. Boone isn't very good. They are undisaplined and aren't coached very well at all. Number 42 is nothing but a thug, and their PG can't even stand up at times. The sad thing is, they are better than two other teams in the Big Nine. East got wore out in practicly all their scrimages, and them got beat by Cloudland (3 or 4 seed team in District 1A). And then, Crockett is even worse than those two... Look for some blow-outs this year in the Big Nine... Umm, make that the Big Six...

Edited by Rangerbook06

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, The Big Nine is going to have a HUGE gap between the top level teams and the lower teams.... Science Hill or whoever is at the top will have a pretty darn good team, but the teams at the bottom would have trouble in single A. Boone isn't very good. They are undisaplined and aren't coached very well at all. Number 42 is nothing but a thug, and their PG can't even stand up at times. The sad thing is, they are better than two other teams in the Big Nine. East got wore out in practicly all their scrimages, and them got beat by Cloudland (3 or 4 seed team in District 1A). And then, Crockett is even worse than those two... Look for some blow-outs this year in the Big Nine... Umm, make that the Big Six...

you forgot to say anything about the Unaka and Bearden score!!!! Now that was a beat down.... and crockett will be a lot better than people think, if they were in district 1A they would be one of the teams to beat.... They have some good players and will compete in the Big 9.....

I hate to let you know I am not Omar Wattad.

although I do wish I could play ball like him, alas I am not him.

I do admire his game, but I have been an East TN basketball fan since the early 90's. (ithink omar was in preschool at the time)....

look all I'm saying is the kid is good. I don't think sHHs is the team to beat, but I do think omar is the best player in east TN. including wiggins.

I had the opportunity to follow the TN travelers this summer and I watched these kids play in almost every tourney this summer. Oglesby is the best shooter on that team. Wattad is the best all around player, and Wiggins has the greatest upside potential. I could write a thousand page discertation on the strengths and weaknessess of each player on that team, and I could even go back and give you insite on past TN travelers teams, all I'm saying is as a citizen of east TN, and as a former member of the Big 7(now big 9) i recognize talent when I see. it. I feel sorry for people like Tribe all Da Way who have no idea of the amount of work these guys put in to get where they are. If you cannot cheer for the talent in this otherwise sparse area of the state then don't bother watching or commenting. Being critical and being constructive are very different. Tribe you have some growing up to do young man.

Broadwayballer,

Pardon my ignorance brcause I do not know, but does DB have any players on the TN travelers team and if so what is your opinion of them? Thanks

Broadwayballer,

Pardon my ignorance brcause I do not know, but does DB have any players on the TN travelers team and if so what is your opinion of them? Thanks

I believe last years 15 and under squad had a player from DB (i think his name is Justin Sylvester?) but I am not sure. I usually don't get to watch the younger teams because they are not always playing in the same tourneys as the 17 and under squad. From the one time I did watch them though, Sylvester seemed to be pretty quick, point with shooting guard tendencies (think iverson just for a comparison, no where near the skill level, but style of game is similar). He seemed to be a pretty promising prospect. He's not very tall but his ball skills were good, and he played solid defense. Improved consistancy on his jumper could help, he seemed to have no fear attacking the rim, but his size hurt him when he did. Hopefully he will pan out, I love to see east TN guys do well. I usually follow the 17 and under squad for the Travs as they are the guys getting the most looks from year to year. I hear about the young ones coming up, and I know that last years 15 and under squad was one of the most athletic trav's squads to ever play. Sorry I can't elaborate any further, I've only seen justin play once.

Posting at 1:10 pm??? I wasn't aware they let students use the computers up at Science Hill for personal reasons!?! Oh well, learn something new everyday!!

Look at the time log "tribe" i posted on a saturday from my home computer

and I am not in high school, I graduated and have kept up with east tn basketball. I advise local college coaches and aau programs of talent in the area so as to try to give these kids an opportunity to be seen. lets face it. NO big time D1 coach is coming to watch big 9 ball except during the Arby's classic. Getting these kids in AAU gives them a chance to get scholarships. Thats what I'm about. Not silly accusations, and demeaning comments towards the players. I want them all to use basketball to pay for an education.

Well since you know so much Broadway, you can clear up the truth here so everyone knows exactly what we are looking at, unlike what OMAR and others would like to think.

Please clear up this... is Omar going to Georgetown on an athletic scholarship or an adademic scholarship?

P.S., I know the answer, just want everyone on here to hear the truth from someone who "has been around and knows everything"

Well since you know so much Broadway, you can clear up the truth here so everyone knows exactly what we are looking at, unlike what OMAR and others would like to think.

Please clear up this... is Omar going to Georgetown on an athletic scholarship or an adademic scholarship?

P.S., I know the answer, just want everyone on here to hear the truth from someone who "has been around and knows everything"

Wattad's situation is peculiar indeed. He has been offered an athletic scholarship, however at this time georgetown has 14 players for 13 scholarships. Meaning, unless someone transfers or declares for the draft Wattad will have to walk on for one year. But even if no one transfers he will have a scholly as a sophomore. If someone transfers from Georgetown Wattad will be the recepient of that scholarship. OR if for example Roy Hibbert or Jeff Green declare for the draft in march, Wattad will take there scholarship. It has nothing to do with wattad not getting a scholarship, it is simply Georgetown not Having one to give. The word from his AAU coach, from people in the Wattad family, and from people in Georgetown is that Wattad will be at least a 3-year athletic scholarship player, if not a 4 year athletic scholarship player.

So to answer your question yes he has an academic scholarship, pending the availability of an athletic scholarship.

Does that clear it up... (or confuse you) cause it does me too.

For wattad's i guess it doesn't make a diff because school is paid for either way. But if someone goes pro, it alleviates the Universities need to dip into its academic scholarships.

Kay?

you forgot to say anything about the Unaka and Bearden score!!!! Now that was a beat down.... and crockett will be a lot better than people think, if they were in district 1A they would be one of the teams to beat.... They have some good players and will compete in the Big 9.....

Oh yeah. That was a beat down all right. Unaka got beat by 20 by a school 6 times their size. Woooo!!! Show some mercy. You also forgot to mention that Unaka kept it pretty close till about half-way through the 3rd... And I'm sorry dude, but if Crockett played in District 1A, they'd be hard pressed to make it out of the district tourny. Crockett couldn't play dead in a cowboy movie :rolleyes:

Edited by Rangerbook06

I am a Boone fan I will have to say that it is going to be a very long year! Apparently they are building the team around the Central transfer who is not impressed anyone yet (Shoots everytime he gets his hands on the ball). Coach Arnold is targeting a few key players and everytime they make one mistake he jerks them out of the game - Central boy - he claps and says thats ok! The Boone faithful are starting to get a little restless and it has just been 2 games into the preseason. Hopefully the one good thing about not winning 1 game this year will be that we might get a new coach! The team has a good core of Juniors but right now is the worst they have played since they have been at Boone.

Oh yeah. That was a beat down all right. Unaka got beat by 20 by a school 6 times their size. Woooo!!! Show some mercy. You also forgot to mention that Unaka kept it pretty close till about half-way through the 3rd... And I'm sorry dude, but if Crockett played in District 1A, they'd be hard pressed to make it out of the district tourny. Crockett couldn't play dead in a cowboy movie :thumb:

Please do not compare the Big 9 to District 1A. District 1A is a good conference but comparing the two leagues is like comparing apples to oranges. There are too many differences between class A schools and class AAA schools. The best in District 1A would usually finish third or fourth in the Big 9. Just to many factors to consider before comparing the two leagues.

Edited by DCHS

Broadwayballer,

Omar Wattad was a returning member of the Travelers 17u squad this year. Ashlon Adams from Science Hill was also a returning member of the 15u squad (what I mean as returning member is that they played for the Travelers last year). Josh Odem also from Science Hill joined the 15u team about a third of the way into the season. Corey Young THS was asked to participate on the 15u Travelers squad but turned it down.

Justin did not play with the Travelers. Last I checked DB doesn’t encourage nor do they endorse AAU or any other summer league ball outside their program. Unfortunately that seems to be the consensus of most Big 9 coaches with the exception of SHHS Coach Cutlip and company.