7AA

glover

Although Upperman returns their entire team, their hopes of a district title are completely in the hands of Smith Co. If the 6'7" fresman center has adjusted to the speed of the high school game as i believe she will, she could easily become an unstopppable force. First and second place go to Smith and Upperman. The order of these two vary as to how well the fresman plays. Smith will have no problem replacing Tara. I have watched them play in person and Tara's younger sister can shoot the ball just as well as her. Look for a four guard, one post playing style for Smith county, while Upperman will continue to use their smothering press.

I have seen this girl play and agree that she will be a dominant force. However, her impact is being drastically over-hyped, and here is why. This district is full of teams that love to press and run the fast break. Smith Co. is a team that, in the past, has loved to run up and down the floor at break-neck speed. The big girl will not be able to keep up with a team like Upperman, who has five girls who can run the floor and press all day. She will tire quickly and that will negate a lot of her height advantage. Smith Co. will have to overhaul their style of play in order to get the girl involved, especially since they tried to run 99% of their offense through her over the summer. They will have to become a half court team, something that requires a lot of level-headed leadership, which I am not convinced they have. And lastly, she is still going to be a freshman, which means she is going to pick up silly fouls on both sides of the ball and get frustrated quicker than most.

This is Upperman's district to lose this year (by the way, they have a 6'3" center of their own if I am not mistaken... and they hit 10+ threes a game, something the big girl will have no power to stop). Yes, Smith Co. will be very competitive, but this will not be the year for them. Give them a year to develop their center and generate good leadership. I'll jump on the wagon in 07-08.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Smitty,

Good post, although I agree with most of what you said I do have some points to make. I belive first of all Macon and even York will end up affecting the district order of finish. Macon lost 5 district games under 5 points in each game and York lost something like 3 games all summer even though I heard competition was very weak, but still they learned to win last year. LA could be very good if Mathews becomes a complete player instead of just a scorer. From what i've heard out of the Smith County Camp is big girl has really improved, but more importantly people around her have also. Gibbs is supposedly the real deal this year. Coachs that saw them late in summer could not believe how well big girl ran the floor. Some people thought they ran floor better this year than last and were even better defensively. I look for Smith county to really good late in the year. Historically Coach Smith's teams have always been at their best come tourney time, same last year and when he was at Pickett. As for the district to give away, I think it is Uppermans to give away. I think while most teams will have to learn to win, Upperman will have to learn to lose to not compete for the State title. Upperman is L O A D E D and just got more weapons with the edition of the Big post and some more great guards. On a down point Upperman is usually at their best in the summer and early in the year. I said last year they couldn't be and shouldn't be beat until Quarter finals of State and I ate my words when Smith County held them to 40 points. Anotheir point I'd like to make I think that some of the best coachs in State(Nation) might be in 7A & 7AA. Thats why I think you will see someone from both represent the upper cumberland well in March. I Love, I can't wait to see all the girls Basketball I can, Should be an exciting and great year! :rolleyes:

BLT,

You are very correct on all points. In a very early post on this topic, I put Macon as my 4 seed in this district, and still stand very confident in that pick. I am not sold on York though. I honestly did not think they were very good last year, but Brown created so many mismatches that York simply found ways to win.

I am excited to see the big girl from Smith Co. play, as I too have heard that she is improved. I guess it's just one of those things where I have to see it to believe it. I will be at the Portland Playday on Nov. 4, where Smith Co. will play Harpeth, a team that is a very legitimate state title contender. Harpeth will push the ball on offense, and it will be interesting to see how well the big girl keeps up. Should learn a lot early.

From what i have heard, the coach for smith county makes it a point for his teams for be conditioned to the max. Yes, so will the lady bees, i expect the two matchups to be dogfights until the end, but upperman may not get a W over Smith Co. until the District tourney. The coach for Smith County is a wizard with defense, look for them to guard upperman's threes with ease. And finally, York is just one big question mark. The freshman, Eacret i think her last name was, played brilliantly in the district tourney, but how consistent can she be? How well will the Lady Dragons/Dragonettes adjust to their new press and run playing style? I think they will make life tough for other teams, but this team has switched to rebuilding mode after losing Brown. And i guess everyone may think i've forgotten about LA, but i haven't, i just know they have third place locked up. LA rarely has an "off" season.

BLT,

You are very correct on all points. In a very early post on this topic, I put Macon as my 4 seed in this district, and still stand very confident in that pick. I am not sold on York though. I honestly did not think they were very good last year, but Brown created so many mismatches that York simply found ways to win.

I am excited to see the big girl from Smith Co. play, as I too have heard that she is improved. I guess it's just one of those things where I have to see it to believe it. I will be at the Portland Playday on Nov. 4, where Smith Co. will play Harpeth, a team that is a very legitimate state title contender. Harpeth will push the ball on offense, and it will be interesting to see how well the big girl keeps up. Should learn a lot early.

Let me know how this game turns out. I'm eager to see how Smith performs against a team that good.

I believe that this could be Smith Co. year. I have seen them run and heard about the stuff they do. I know that no one in the state probably works harder than they do. And you must give the coaches credit for that. Smith Co. is loaded as well. They have the big girl, and the seniors Gibbs and Massey. They have become great leaders. Upperman and LA will be the challenge for them this season. I can't wait to see how it turns out!

How is the big girl? I had heard a rumor that she was not running or doing anything with the team the last couple of weeks, because of a medical reason. I hope this is not true, hope everything goes well for her. This district will be top heavy with Smit, LA and Upperman. Then Macon sits and waits to upset someone. York and Cannon, if they get the Adams girl back could upset someone and who knows about Dekalb. Can't wait for this race to get started.

Smitty & UKNOW,

I heard some people talking and they thought Smith County might have played Harpeth this summer and Harpeth won by maybe 3. People said Smith County had lead at the end of game and turned over. This Smith County people talking though, thought it was at a Portland play day. Do you know or did u possibly see this game. I also heard the big girl had been sidelined due some medical reasons and had sat out until cleared but has now been back wide open for about a week. From what I've heard about their conditioning program i"d probably took another couple of weeks off. ;)

tcTigerfan,

I have to totally disagree with you, Smith County might be in the top 3 in order, but it might be they don't have district win against Upperman or LA until the District tourney, then i might not bet against them. Their coach tends to hold back until tourney time. From what i've heard their conditioning program is un real!

How is the big girl? I had heard a rumor that she was not running or doing anything with the team the last couple of weeks, because of a medical reason. I hope this is not true, hope everything goes well for her. This district will be top heavy with Smit, LA and Upperman. Then Macon sits and waits to upset someone. York and Cannon, if they get the Adams girl back could upset someone and who knows about Dekalb. Can't wait for this race to get started.

Your right. She hasn't done anything in awhile I'm pretty sure. I think because of that since we are so close to the beginning of the season, that could hurt her some. As far as conditioning goes. I think December the first will be a rough game for her possibly. Upperman will beat and bang, and with her being a freshman, it will be interesting to see how she reacts. She has alot of pressure on her shoulders for a freshman.

Edited by Z King of D Swing