MARYVILLE, please drop WM BLOUNT from schedule

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not trying to stir anything. The fact is that Maryville has more kids than some 5A schools, including the state champion, and the option of playing up, yet they don't. So, it looks like they enjoy being the biggest 4-a school, beating up on all the smaller 4-A schools, right there's the facts, buddy. You know this is true, otherwise y'all wouldn't get so defensive about it every time somebody states the obvious and that is that you guys belong in 5-A and you know it. What you're saying is that Maryville doesn't make the rules, they just play by what has been established. This is true, but those days are over with soon, and it must be hard to deal with for some of you.

hey ORKAT...

I am not questioning your post...

but please explain to us outsiders about how Maryville has more students than many 5A schools...

again I am not doubting you...

just an outsider who wants to know more about this...

I am from Campbell County and sure as heck would hate to see th Rebs move up but it would be a great oppportunity to see a really good football program play on occasion...

I have always heard about teh "maryville recruiting" rumors or whatever one might want to call them...

exactly or close to exactly what is teh Maryville enrollment and how do they get by teh 5A cutoff...

again just curious...

dont have a dog in teh fight...

hey ORKAT...

I am not questioning your post...

but please explain to us outsiders about how Maryville has more students than many 5A schools...

again I am not doubting you...

just an outsider who wants to know more about this...

I am from Campbell County and sure as heck would hate to see th Rebs move up but it would be a great oppportunity to see a really good football program play on occasion...

I have always heard about teh "maryville recruiting" rumors or whatever one might want to call them...

exactly or close to exactly what is teh Maryville enrollment and how do they get by teh 5A cutoff...

again just curious...

dont have a dog in teh fight...

When a student is allowed to pay tuition to attend school at Maryville, instead of the school they are zoned for, that is essentially recruiting. Let's face it, those kids aren't going to Maryville for Scholar's Bowl or a private school education. As far as the whole enrollment arguement, Maryville does have a higher enrollment than about 7 other 5A schools, as of the last TSSAA head count. I'm not saying that Maryville should be playing 5A football, they are going to dominate wherever they go, period. However, numbers don't lie. If you really want to bellyache about classification, why isn't Rhea County playing 5A football? They have more kids than Maryville, and yet no one has said anything about them.

Edited by osunut2

I am not sure if I read this on this post or a different one but it was about Maryville and the coaching staff, so i thought I would give just a little intel to that subject. There was something mentioned that the coaching staff is paid more money just to coach and that's it. The number dropped by another posted was 70K i think...That number is shady, believe me. Most of the Maryville posters will know what I am talking about. The reason is that Maryville teachers are paid the second highest amount just for teaching in the state of TN...Alcoa or OR is higher I think. The coaches get paid more for a few reasons...I will list them below for some that are a little slow on the subject.......

1. Coaching Bonus

2. Playoff Bonus

3. Apperance in State Championship Bonus

4. State Championship Win Bonus

All of these are factors as to why the coaching staff is paid more...Again I think I saw this on a different board but this was just the latest one of all the people that hat Maryville because they are better...The easiest way to put someone bigger, better, and stronger than you in their place is to beat them...Example- McMinn County over OR...and one more thing.

Did anybody read the article to the editor from some idiot in the Daily Times. One that guy is just a complete idiot for writing it, and two he is even more of an idiot for leaving his address...WOW.

BTW...I went to Maryville, moved from a different city and did not play football. Does this mean I was recruited to just be a student at Maryville? I guess what I am saying is when parents know that going to Maryville High School looks good on a college resume and/or job resume thats where they will send their kids because of the potential for success after high school...ATHLETICS OR NOT!

When a student is allowed to pay tuition to attend school at Maryville, instead of the school they are zoned for, that is essentially recruiting. Let's face it, those kids aren't going to Maryville for Scholar's Bowl or a private school education.

Be careful now.....Maryville had 3 tuition students on the team....that is out of approximately 135 players. Most of Maryville's tuition students are there for the education value that the system gives them....just a fact. Maryville is also year in and year out ranked as the top, or one of the top public schools in the state relatative to academics. Tuition students are becoming a thing of the past as Maryville grows and no longer has room to accommodate those that desire to have their children educated at MHS and pay the $2,500 annual tuition.

As far as the whole enrollment arguement, Maryville does have a higher enrollment than about 7 other 5A schools, as of the last TSSAA head count. I'm not saying that Maryville should be playing 5A football, they are going to dominate wherever they go, period. However, numbers don't lie. If you really want to bellyache about classification, why isn't Rhea County playing 5A football? They have more kids than Maryville, and yet no one has said anything about them.

Maryville has continued to grow since the last TSSAA reclassification. If reclassification were to occur today Maryville would most likely be moved to 5A. The next recount and reclassification will be instituted for the 2009 season. Expect Maryville to be in 5 A at that time.

The recruiting rumours are lies made up by those who are jealous and envious of the states top program. Because Maryville STOMPS them on an annual basis they are comforted by making up lies in their sad attempts to explain why their sad embarrassing program is such a failure.... :thumb:

There are going to be exceptions, but you have to admit, if you are going to pay tuition to go to an institution that looks good on a college resume, why not go to Webb/Catholic/CAK? Or even Oak Ridge? I understand that if you live away from Knoxville, that's not the best option, but academically, Maryville HS isn't that much different from many Knox County high schools. Maryville is a very good academic institution and offers a lot of the opportunities that students are offered in Knox County (not all but most).

I'm not questioning your attending Maryville for academics. I graduated from Powell, did not play football, and attended Ohio State, so I understand your reasons for going there to get a good education. I just think that the whole tuition factor does create the opportunity to recruit football players. Knox County public schools only allow students to switch schools if they move. From a football standpoint in Knox County, you play where you live, plain and simple. Yes, there will always be a few question marks as far as transferring goes (e.g. Lee Smith). Maryville has a winning formula, I respect that, and I don't think that should be changed, but you just have to recognize that tuition students open the door for things like recruiting.

Edited by osunut2