WHO IS THE BEST HIGH SCHOOL TEAM YOU HAVE EVER PLAYED OR SEEN?

RANDY SAVAGE

Not in any particular order but here goes (and I've seen them all):

1977 Milan...literally everyone in their lineup was 6 ft. 180 and could run

1978 Maryville.....Mike Casteel, Tyler Maples' Uncle Ricky and David Reed

1983 Austin East -- played against them

1986 Austin East

1987 Jefferson County...finished 4th USA Today

1988 Brentwood Academy......also top 10 USA Today

1989 Alcoa.....finished 18th USA Today...Shannon Mitchell and Billy Williams,etc

1993 Lincoln County......with Stafford the same year just behind

1994 Cleveland......more "wasted" college talent than any of the teams

1997 Riverdale

2005 Maryville

OOOOOOOOOOH, I just realized I put Maryville in there twice. I cannot believe it.

Oh well, the truth hurts.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They probably don't rate real high on the overall greatness scale but last year's Livingston Academy team was the most fun to watch of any team I've ever seen. I'd never heard of them before last year so I'm not a homer. Their QB, I think it was Cates, was pure entertainment and excitement. I know there have been bigger, faster, and more talented kids but that kid was special and made that team special (this year's record speaks to that). They won a gold ball so they're allowed in the conversation.

And weren't there some really good Halls teams back in the 80's during Lyin Larry's tenure?

By the way, based on personal experience, that '71 Tennessee High team gets my vote.

Sequatchie was 12-1 in Class A in 1973. Allowed 44 points total in 10 regular season games, starting defense allowed only two or three touchdowns. Lost in the finals to Dyer County by 5 points, was inside the 5 yard line once and Dyer recovered a fumble and returned it all the way for a score. 14 point swing, one play from winning it all. Not the best ever in the state but one of the best ever in the valley.

The '93 Cleveland team has to be one of the top 5. They were very tough. This was the team that had the Cobb twins, Chris Waley, Carlos Thompson, Dante Hickey, and a couple of lineman that went on to play college ball.

93 clevland team was awsome seen them play :thumb:the best etam i ever played against was 97 trousdale team they beat us in the semi finals.

Edited by BIG INDIAN

Not in any particular order but here goes (and I've seen them all):

1977 Milan...literally everyone in their lineup was 6 ft. 180 and could run

1978 Maryville.....Mike Casteel, Tyler Maples' Uncle Ricky and David Reed

1983 Austin East -- played against them

1986 Austin East

1987 Jefferson County...finished 4th USA Today

1988 Brentwood Academy......also top 10 USA Today

1989 Alcoa.....finished 18th USA Today...Shannon Mitchell and Billy Williams,etc

1993 Lincoln County......with Stafford the same year just behind

1994 Cleveland......more "wasted" college talent than any of the teams

1997 Riverdale

2005 Maryville

OOOOOOOOOOH, I just realized I put Maryville in there twice. I cannot believe it.

Oh well, the truth hurts.

Good list, however probably the best team ever out of Tenn. would be the 96 Brentwood Academy team. Finished #2 in USA today, 15-0, handled a great Riverdale team in the clinic bowl. Had multiple D-1 signees. Also, 97' team was that good too, ran off 15 more in a row, finished #3 that year in USA today, multiple signees out of that senior class as well. Those two teams could match up with anyone. I played against that 94 cleveland team in the clinic bowl and they were awesome.